Temporary recasts that should have stayed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved Michael Learned as Karherine Chancellor. Her portrayal did alot to undo the nasty turn that Katherine had recently taken, trying to dismantle Tucker's company while he was incapacitated.

Ironically, Katherine just castigated Tucker for trying to do the same thing to Victor's company. Pot, meet kettle.

Since Jeanne Cooper looks frailer than ever onscreen, I wonder if Kay will die with her, or if a recast will be considered so the character can continue. If so, I'd welcome Learned.

• Members

To continue as a character with some longevity, Katherine would have to be recast with a younger actress.

Learned gave her a humanity that I no longer see in Cooper even when she's trying to be tender with Devon or Tucker. I think it's that gravelly voice. And when she told off Tucker last week, I felt she was too frail to play the scene. I half expected Kay to crumple to the floor at scene's end.

• Members

I couldn't believe how much I preferred Cynthia playing the role of Vicky. I had gotten used to JB but it took a lot of time, since Anne Heche defined the role of Vicky and Marley, imo, but it took about a minute for me to forget about Jensen's Vicky. Cynthia was so great in the role.

More recently I'd have to agree with those who say they prefer Michael Learned as Katherine. Learned plays the role with such ease and grace - she made Katherine a warm presence. Jeanne's Katherine is rough and grating. I'm not fond of the way she delivers her lines and I'm not fond of the long fingernails and the rings...It's not easy to watch JC, especially since I've seen Learned in the role.

• Members

I'd have never wanted her to replace Anna Stuart, but AW really should have cast Sofia Landon Geier as Donna instead of Philiece Sampler. She would have been perfection and I'm curious as to what she would have done with the role had she ever played it long-term. She was harder than Anna Stuart and smarter in a way (Stuart had it right though- Donna's not the sharpest knife and never was). Didn't she sub for Stuart in her first run too? Or was it just in 90 and 91?

If she did, then there's no reason they shouldn't have recast with her. She is probably the most memorable and seamless temporary recast I've ever seen on a soap and it's a shame she never found success in front of the scenes anywhere on daytime.

Archived