DAYS: October Discussion Thread

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i dont know if i woulkd want to watch that, honestly. It could be because i just lost my grandma weeks ago and we were very close and she had it, but really i just dont think thats approriate. of course infusing some comedy elements into it would be fun, because really there were a lot of funny moments, but a full on camp? eh. Esp cuz soaps cant do camp anymore. But i also do not want some social issue story. Maybe something in the middle.

• Members

I think something in the middle would work. Is Peggy leaving? I know nothing has been announced but she was gone for months is now on way more and Caroline is having memory problems. I know most prob wont miss her if she does go but it would be a significant loss of a long running supportig player. She isnt on Julie, Maggie or Alice territory but still ...

• Members

I agree, lol. I loved Caroline ranting and raving about Victor and Maggie and switching test results. I mean this is a woman who kept Bo from the truth about his father for how long? Just because she's a matriarch doesn't mean she has to be Mrs. Cleaver

• Members

Oh I think they are giving her Alzheimer's, just not going to do the kind of story I was talking about. I was thinking of using it more as black comedy, like Caroline witnessing 2 characters having an affair but says the wrong name for one of them and ends up destroying 2 couples instead of one, etc.... A comedy of errors, with Caroline's deteriorating brain driving it.

Yeah, it's dark I know but these are the kinds of chances daytime needs to start taking if these shows want to stay on the air.

• Members

I didn't mean camp in the traditional sense, more like perverse comedy but an original way to drive story throughout the canvas. Maybe calling it Alzheimer's would be a mistake- perhaps someone could be switching out her medication? Or it's a side effect of a medication she's taking- they think it's Alzheimer's at first but are relieved to find out it was from her meds. I don't know.

DAYS just seems so darn generic and lost since MarDar took over (and the year before)- they need to do something different and invigorate their canvas. I'd KILL for a revolution in the writing like ATWT in 2000 when Sheffer took over- everything suddenly popped on that show like it hadn't for YEARS. I want that for DAYS SO badly, probably because imo it's the only soap left on the air that's capable of something like that.

• Members

Don't even joke! It's been unwatchable, I haven't been able to watch for the past month and the only thing I'm going to tune back in for is her return. Those writers

better not taint it with their king of Salem!

• Administrator

I don't know why T&W are so restraint at DAYS - at their 1st tenure and now their 2nd. Where's their humour? Where's their campyness? Where's the crazyness? Where's their big storyline? Some people thought maybe it was Dena Higley who was holding them back but I don't think it was her fault anymore. I want T&W to be let loose - I know they can do crazy stuff and I know they can do outageous humour like they did on SuBe and OLTL.

Daniel/Jen and the Quest to Sami's Vagina is horrible to watch. There's no excitement and anticpation. I hope it changes next week with Kristen's arrival.

• Members

To pull off the kind of stuff you're talking about, Toups, you need two things: a healthy budget, and good actors. (It helps, too, to have a supportive network and Senior EP.) When you don't have the one, and not enough of the other, you realize very quickly Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell's limitations as storytellers.

Frankly, DAYS needed a HW like Kay Alden, who knew how to write story for mediocre-at-best actors. (She's had decades of practice on Y&R.)

Archived