Port Charles: Was it truly one of the worst spin offs ever?

• Members

The 30 Best And Worst TV Spinoffs Ever

http://www.huffingto...l#slide=1363845

WORST: "Port Charles"

Spinoff of: "General Hospital"

Despite the fact that the "General Hospital" spinoff lasted more than six years, "Port Charles" -- which took "GH" characters Lucy Coe, Kevin Collins, Scott Baldwin and Karen Wexler -- broke all the TV soap rules, and not for the better. It dropped the open-ended writing style of other daytime dramas and spent way too much time in the hospital.

That seems harsh. Some of their other shows seem like no brainers to make this list.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Instead of in the back alleys of Port Charles with the mob? I admit, PC should've been the show in and about the city, leaving GH in the hospital setting (moreso, anyway), but 'spending way too much time in the hospital' is just...dorky. I think they just ran out of spin-offs and threw that in there because it existed and was from a soap people recognized.

• Members

I think the show was mediocre, and had some good moments. Not one of the worst spinoffs ever, but not something which had enough thought put into it. Apparently the show was created solely as a grudge against the Labines.

• Members

I thought it was ok at first. Nothing special. But then when it ventured into the whole supernatural/vampire crap and the telenovela style of storytelling, I found it completely unwatchable. I don't think it was created as a grudge against the Labines. My guess is that ABC thought a GH spinoff would be more marketable than the Labines' project, Heart and Soul, even though I think that included Lois and Ned, right? I think ABC gave the Labines OLTL as some sort of consolation prize.

• Members

I can't do anything but :rolleyes: at this, cause it's so beyond ridiculous.

The show was great, 99.9% of the time it was miles better than GH could dream of being. It's kind of hard to take off when all the affiliates didn't air it and alot aired it overnight, inspite of all this, it's ratings were good, and it was even neck and neck with Passions, you know, a show that did air in all affiliates and not overnight

• Members

I never thought they knew what the hell to do with this show, especially in the beginning.

The show never had anything resembling a consistent identity over time, so in my mind, it was crap. It was so bad they had to deviate from its original premise to tell crappy supernatural telenovella arcs, and not many still cared enough to tune it.

GH, whether you liked it or not, at least had an identity.

I also don't consider garden variety hacks like Lynn Marie Latham, Scott Hamner, and Brown & Esensten to have much, if any, actual talent.

The affiliates might have been an issue, but it's not even comparable to Passions - which eventually surpassed it on every level (demos and years on the air).

• Members

PC wasn't that good. And at the time it hit the airwaves its timeslot was up against ratings winner Y&R so it didnt have a chance. Then they went to the novela style format and that bombed....if you didnt like that partiuarly arc why tune in?? Wait til its over...which most did and thus higher ratings when an arc was over ala a telenovela.

Archived