NBC poised to fire Ann Curry from the Today show

dragonflies

• Members

I have to give Ann Curry credit. Obviously had she walked when the rumors started it might have jeopardized any leverage she might have had and she stuck with it. But as someone said you could see in her body language on screen she didn't want to be there. I'm not blaming her at all. I just found Matt Lauer and Al Roker completely fake. I compare that to a week ago when Robin Roberts announced her health crisis and the concern of her colleagues may not have been genuine but it didn't come across plastic or fake on the air like this did. Lauer actually seemed almost gleeful.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like I've expressed before, I do have mixed feelings about Ann's style. (However, the problems the Today Show has go far beyond her.) She certainly couldn't have handled this public humiliation in a more classy manner, though.

Unless she couldn't get out of her contractual obligations with NBC, I am surprised (and disappointed) she chose to stay at that network. I just can't understand why anyone would want to work for a company that treated said person so badly.

Matt certainly is a phony a--hole. He has a lot of nerve pretending that he will miss her when all accounts indicate that he led the charge to let her go.

• Members

That was hard to watch this morning. Poor Ann, thrown under the bus by that evil narcissist Matt Lauer.

The reason she stayed at NBC is simple: money. She's still under contract to NBC and they either had to pay out her contract ($20 million for the next two years) or keep her working and so they're keeping her working under these flashy titles, it's the only kind of PR move NBC could do without totally decimating themselves because they already come off horribly.

Also, for the next two years Ann will be sitting pretty with a 7 person team that is of her choosing. Essentially, she has total autonomy.

Now, I heard rumours that Ann's likely successor, Savannah Guthrie, was Matt's mistress a few years ago...anyone else hear that?

• Members

Everyone keeps saying that Matt and Ann had no chemistry. But Robin Roberts and George Stephanopoulos also lack chemistry. GMA is succeeding because their supporting cast including Josh, Lara, and Sam have brought energy to the show. Today should've replaced Al or Natalie or both. Al is not good at interviewing and Natalie is always wearing a scowl on her face.

• Members

Matt Lauer must test well with shallow focus groups. It is has got to be the only reason that he has not been given his walking papers. He absolutely no gravitas which probably fits the tabloid that The Today Show has become.

I find Deborah Norville irritating, but I do think that she is right about the women anchors taking the fall for the morning shows' struggles over the years.

Archived