NBC poised to fire Ann Curry from the Today show

dragonflies

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry to hear about Ann but you know I haven't watched the Today Show in a good while so I really can't assess how she has been as the anchor. Four hours of the show is overkill. In spite of my initial fears and sadness to see Harry Smith go, I think CBS has found something workable with Charlie Rose and Gayle King, it feels like we have an actual news program than a flufly infotainment in the mornings again.

• Members

Interestingly, Matt said in an interview that he should be blamed for the ratings decline. (I doubt he believes that, though.)

I feel that CBS's morning show is easily the best as well. Unfortunately, its ratings are even lower than what The Early Show had. I am not sure if the network has the patience needed to give the new show more time to establish itself.

• Members

Ann's the scapegoat. The reason why the Today Show has fallen has nothing to do with Ann. It's just that GMA is a lot easier to watch because it's filled with fluff. George and Robin don't have dynamic chemistry, but the supporting cast (Sam, Lara, and Josh) brings a lot of energy to the show, which is what Today severely lacks.

• Members

The Today Show has not had any real warmth in a long time. Matt Lauer is pompous and fake. Ann Curry doesn't put on the smarm enough, the way Couric or Lauer did, so she's a scapegoat. Weren't there rumors Lauer pushed Meredith Viera out too? I think he just wants someone under his thumb.

• Members

I hope that, as a matter of self-respect, Curry refuses to stay at NBC in whatever demoted role it gives her (unless she absolutely cannot get out of her contract).

I don't know if this is true or not, but I am reading elsewhere that Lauer wanted her gone.

Take a look at this clip. I find it to be sickening, because it shows how phony show business is (and--in particular--how phony these morning shows are):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FIaQHwtmnxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Even though I was a kid then, I miss the Bryant Gumbel days of TODAY and he was pretty much the only host of The Early Show I liked (when he left Early Show that's when CBS should have gave up doing a traditional morning program, if it wasn't going to work with Gumbel, wasn't going to work with anyone). Currently I like CBS This Morning the best as well, it's is has the most "hard news" even though ratings are still bad.

• Members

NBC should have gone back to their formula of a perky plastic co-host like Katie Couric once MV left. They cannot consider getting rid of Matt Lauer now since they just overpaid him to keep him. Ryan Seacrest was being touted as his replacement before Matt got that big fat contract.

On the rare occasion that I would watch one of those morning shows, I wa good with GMA when the hosts were Charles Gibson/Diane Sawyer and then Diane Sawyer/Robin Roberts. They should have gotten George Stephanopoulos' wife instead of him. But even with him GMA is preferable to Matt Lauer.

I don't see why they need to have anyone in place piror to the Olympics. They've assembled a team of egomaniacs for their coverage so a solo Matt Lauer ought to be perfect. I'm not sure that Al Michaels fits in the egomaniacal category with Bob Costas, Dan Patrick (sans the Danettes), and Ryan Seacrest (talentless hot air and massive ego getting over on someone blinded by something about him), but I do know that Al, Bob and Dan are the perfect pitch men for vanity. Dan Patrick seems to go from greying to no grey on a regular basis. I only notice Al Michaels during footbabll season but there can't be a bottle of dye he doesn't like. And Bob Costas hair gets younger every day. He just hasn't been able fo find the right make-up to look as if his face has found the fountain of youth as well. All that's missing are the salacious sounds of Chris Collinsworth.

Archived