Arrow: Discussion Thread

• Members

Two.  The original was Dinah Drake Lance (wife of Larry Lance) who lived on earth 2 and fought crime in the 1940s.   She came out of retirement in the 60s and when her husband died she couldn't bear it and moved to earth 1 to start anew, where she fell in love with Oliver Queen.   As the years went by it made no sense that someone who fought in WW2 was still fighting crime in the 1980s, and would be in the 90s and beyond so about 30 years or so ago it was revealed Dinah actually had a daughter and she was also Black Canary somehow (I think she was in a coma or something).    Dinah was dying and they somehow put the mother's mind in the daughter's body, then they brainwashed her into not knowing any of this happened so she was young again in effect able to carry on as a character with no idea she was ever her own mother.  (sounds like something OLTL might have come up with)

Theoretically there is another, and that is because at various points when the comics get so poorly written they don't know what to do they just scream "DO OVER" and start again, meaning there was no Earth 2 and Black Canary was just a young contemporary heroine. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay, aside from the fact I  a) still don't believe the bitch is dead and  b ) wanted to throw up at the entire premise that somehow Black Canary and Laurel needed to be lauded from minute one of the episode  AND c) being a little pissed that Tommy was mentioned frequently but not even seen in a damn photo----it was an okay episode. Not exactly the emotional powerhouse I expected (and I think the show needed) to set up the season finale, but I did feel Quentin's and Digg's pain.

One HUGE sticking point (at least for me) is again the mis-management of synchronization between CW shows. At the end, Barry zips off, speedforce apparently intact, while we know he hasn't gotten back yet over on Flash. I can overlook the fact that Rip and the Gang on LoT may or may not have the younger version of Quentin on the WaveRider, because theoretically, that's an alternate timeline. They didn't have to show Barry leaving, yet they did.

Edited by P.J.

• Members

I saw a lot of fans complaining about the history rewrites, in that in season 2 and in the comic for the show it gave the impression that Laurel was grieving over Tommy and had little to no contact with Oliver. 

It seems like this show is perpetually unfocused.

• Members

Due to the erratic programming scheduling, my Arrow habit is broken.  I never saw the episode where Felicity got her legs back, or the episode with Amanda Waller.  It airs in such a haphazard hit and run schedule, that the gloomy stories don't make me miss it.   I watched (FFed through parts) of last night.   Did they give Detective Lance a fake head of young hair for Tommy's funeral circa season 1?    I don't think Laurel is dead at all.  

• Members

My memory's a little fuzzy about what exactly Ollie and Laurel were at the point of Tommy's death. They had boned, and Tommy knew, right? I can see where maybe Laurel didn't turn into a raving bitch until Ollie deserted her for Lian Yu for like six months.

I hate the scheduling. It's ridiculous that it not only starts later, but then has like three month-long breaks. They've had FIVE new episodes in the last TWO months.

And yeah---Idon'tknowwhattheFUCKwas up with Quentin's hair. I swear, it was like PB walked right off the set of the LoT episode he did, filmed, and no one in hair and makeup bothered to check his look. 'Cause that's the same hair he wore for the LoT episode where he appeared when Sarah was like 17.

• Members

But most shows do it to some extent now. I hate it all. Suits does like six episodes in (maybe) nine weeks, and takes a four to six month break. I still tune in. But ICAM, it's detrimental to shows. I thought Empire was fun---but they took what...from Nov to March off? GMAFB.

I  can understand the Christmas break, or Fox starting some shows after the World Series. But to come back from a month break, do three episodes, then take another TWO weeks off? WTF? Even NCIS pissed me off pulling a rerun this week. Granted, NCIS is like a comfortable shoe, and you can OD on USA's reruns anyway...but DAYUM. Sometimes it's just irritating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Maybe we shouldn't assume that the Flash and Arrow are taking place concurrently---but sometimes it seems each of the shows does try to sync up the "real" date to the episode's air date---so it does become inconsistent. It's not a big deal when John and Lyla crossed over for the King Shark eppy of Flash for example. But last season they had Felicity and Ray bopping happily over to Central City the episode after they broke up on Arrow.

I'm sure it's a scheduling nightmare, but if they're going to do it, they should do it right. Sometimes I think it's really great, and other times I think it's gratititous. I totally didn't buy the Ray/Felicity scene that just aired on LoT---especially since I thought they established that Ray was banging some other chick before he left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I liked the 100th episode, but I wish it hadn't been a part of the crossover. While I love the feeling of the "Arrowverse", a huge crossover like this is just too jumbled to really enjoy. And aliens? There aren't enough supervillian metahumans to deal with, they gotta go and import some?

OTOH, on some level, I did enjoy Ollie's basically kissing off Laurel to return to the real world. If I can't have Olicity, at least that's some comfort.