Y & R's Eric Braden: They're Replacing The Soaps With Crap!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

“Not very good, to be honest. They’re replacing the soaps with bull#$@!, with crap. It’s what happens when huge corporations take over, things are reduced to the lowest common denominator,” blasts the actor, who is being seen on the big screen now as the “Titanic’s” wealthiest passenger, John Jacob Astor.

• Members

He's right but he should look at his own show. Sheffer, Hamner, MAB epitomize crap. Talk about how those big corporations and networks also interfere in direction and storytelling they know nothing about. Frankly these folks need to get their head out of the sand and stop blaming talk shows and reality programming for the fact their shows are crap.

• Members
Agreed. People don't want to hear it but daytime is being replaced by cheaper crap bc the soaps put out crap. Instead of blaming the corporations who are trying to make a profit, I think they need to take a long hard look at the writers and EPs running the shows into the ground

• Members

This is pretty much the bottom line! But I have to say again, there may not be any stories left to tell. There are 4 soaps remaining and all are bad! Really bad. I hate to have to say this, but BB is the best out of the bunch, and that's an incestuous cesspool that was telling only one story for about a year! While I feel for the actors who believe things should be better, I'm just not sure by how much...

ANDREA

• Members

Like EB or not, he's right. It's all about the bottom line for the nets. They're asking their shows to do much more with much less. The reason B&B is the best of the bunch is because Brad Bell is pouring money into his show, not trying to operate on a shoestring like the remaining three. He's made a financial commitment to B&B, hoping it will increase audience interest and keep the show going. Unfortunately, there's no promotion for any of the shows in nighttime. Even CBS continues to plug "The Talk" in primetime, but never a word about B&B and Y&R, shows that are both much higher rated. One has to wonder if ABC, NBC and CBS spent some ad dollars promoting their soaps if it would make a difference. Granted, the soaps have to step up. But maybe if they felt some love from the networks, things would start happening creatively. I'm just glad EB speaks his mind.

• Members

I don't think the promotion is as high but I still see NBC running promos for Days during primetime same with Y&R and B&B. Y&R ran that Perez Hilton spread, B&B just had that photoshoot for Vanity Fair. Could it be better yes. I also think daytime as a whole including the talk shows does a very poor job at using the internet and social media.

Archived