Infamous/Unique Contract Clauses

• Members

Lynn Herring had that in all her contracts til her last one expired in summer 2003. She was in the middle of Contracts talks when PC was canceled & thats a main reason she was not invited back to GH

Jon Lindstrom was planning to exit PC when ABC canned it

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup! I was just coming to post this. She said the she wasnt very fond of the idea of going back to AW (I think mostly because it was in NYC) and she asked for a lot, and they gove her all of it.

Yup. Jensen asked for a lot because she didnt really want to do the show anymore, but they gave her anything she wanted. her and Sandra were not the one ones, I am sure.

• Members

I guess Kin Shriner's contract at Texas could be considered infamous and unique.He was lured from GH to Texas for a reported $300,000 contract in 1981,which at the time made him daytime's highest paid star. Ultimately,it was waste as neither Kin's role nor the shows ratings made any impression.

• Members

Though it is not specifically daytime but former daytime actress Dixie Carter had a clause in her contract for Designing Women, that for every liberal rant she had to do as Julia, Dixie would get to sing one song on the show this was because Carter was a Republican.

• Members

Susan wrote in her book that she took the subway for years until she was approached multiple times by the same group of teenagers on the subway who recognized her and told her she wasn't safe riding on it, and then I guess there was some violent crime on that same subway line, so she stopped taking public transportation to work. In writing about being on Broadway and then getting sick right before AGYG opened, she did mention her driver taking her around and even taking care of her when she got sick in the car, so if ABC was footing the bill for it, she was definitely using it for more than just getting to and from the AMC studio.

• Members

IIRC, it actually went like this: Buchanan was supposed to start airing as Melissa on GH a few days before her final appearances on ATWT would air. It even had gone to press that it was going to happen and would be a sort of daytime first. But at the last minute, ATWT enforced the clause in her contract that prevented her from appearing on any competing show simultaneously with World Turns. So GH had to scramble, edit her out of those first episodes and insert her scenes later so she wouldn't air opposite herself.

Again, this is a case where JFP shows her value as an EP, as it came off seamless on the show and she handled it like a pro, though who knows if it was her own ass she was covering for not knowing JB's ATWT contract. Doubtful, as that would seem to be the responsibility of JB and her management team.

All this for a mediocre at best actress, who's role ended up flopping. I myself actually kind of liked her as Melissa, as I was tuning in at the time for A Martinez and enjoyed their teased pairing toward the end of Martinez's run.

• Members

Actually, I thought GH had to recast Melissa briefly before JB "officially" began...but I could be wrong.

It shouldn't surprise anyone, though, that JFP and/or her team didn't know about her status with PGP. If ti so please the court, allow me to submit exhibits A and B, Ms. Beverlee McKinsey and Ms. Genie Francis.

• Members

I think Melissa was supposed to be played by Bobbie Eakes, then they quickly dumped her before she aired to cast Jensen Buchanan.

I still remember that out of nowhere mercy killer story they used to get rid of her, and her sitting in the chapel, waiting to go.

• Members

I'm pretty certain there wasn't- I remember it already having gone to press that JB would be airing as both characters simultaneously and there was barely enough time to edit her out, let alone even think about recasting.

I could be wrong too though, as GH has never been my bag.

• Members

You know, this is Jensen Buchanan we're talking about here. Does it really matter whether we get the dates right? I mean, the fact that there's a big question mark over the whole matter proves she wasn't and isn't too memorable, save for the almost soul-crushing level of mediocrity that has come to define her "work."

• Members

And seeing what they did to Bobbie...I almost wish that Bobbie had left with the mercy killing storyline, at least it would have provided the character and Jackie Zeman some actual closure...last we saw Bobbie she was talking to Alexis in a hallway at GH.

Archived