Infamous/Unique Contract Clauses

• Members

Let's list them? Not just actors but also writers/producers with quirky contract clauses.

Probably the most well-known is Eileen Fulton's Granny Clause on ATWT that her character could not become a grandmother.

Jensen Buchanan's much-lampooned "Helicoptered into the studio" clause on AW.

I think Tom Eplin had a clause in his last AW contract that he would be able to soap hop to another P&G show if AW got canceled.

Any others?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A couple of years ago SOD revealed that some writers had a clause in their contracts that granted them an early release from their contracts if a certain headwriter returned to their show, dubbed the "McTavish" clause (although it wasn't made clear if McTavish was the only HW named in these clauses, or whether there were others and McTavish just had the honor of having the clause named after her).

• Members

Oh, I totally forgot about that! That is truly a tale for the ages.

They had to helicopter her from her home to the studio every day. It is pretty funny, but I can't hate her for it. She lived in Westchester I think so a commute to Brooklyn would have been very difficult.

• Members

Beverlee is probably the only actress over 50 that got the best of JFP and royally f.ucked her over with that clause (which Jill thought was a joke and didn't know existed).

Basically, Bev had an out clause in her contract that stipulated that she could leave the show at any time, as long as she gave 8 weeks notice or something. She exercised it before a scheduled vacation (ironically, Jill was on vacation at this time as well).

• Members

One of Joan Collins' Dynasty contracts was interesting because it granted her the rights to the character of Alexis, in perpetuity, as Joan was at one time concerned that she'd be fired for asking for a raise and that the role would be recast (she'd seen recasts with most of the Carrington children). What it also means for Joan is that if a spin-off series or movie is ever made, she will see a cut of the profits because the production has to pay her to use/recast the character.

And then there was Deidre Hall's "with Deidre Hall as Marlena Evans" credits clause in her contract before she was fired in 2009.

Archived