Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Multiple Actors Fired in First Wave of Ousters Hitting 'Days of our Lives'

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Errol

Errol

Editor in Chief, Soap Opera Network

• Webmaster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Mitchell Haaseth/NBC(SoapOperaNetwork.com) – In an interview posted earlier today by TV Guide’s Michael Logan, it looked like Co-Executive Producer Greg Meng was alluding to the possible ouster of actress Sarah Brown when he stated “we also brought in the wonderful Sarah Brown [Madison James] and threw her into a lot of material very quickly. Maybe too much [...]

Read More

#2 jjjg

jjjg

Contract

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Not surprised.

#3 darraholic

darraholic

Comin to snatch your babies.

• Members
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

And Galen Gering, Molly Burnett & Shawn Christian remain employed.

#4 DaytimeFan

DaytimeFan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

All excellent choices to be fired.

#5 aMLCproduction

aMLCproduction

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Very sad to see Jack go and Austin and Carrie. I may just let my show go. Tired of all these changes

#6 Skin

Skin

I will remember the real Babe, the ideal flawed good girl

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

I'm not really sad over any of them leaving. Carrie and Austin have been destroyed over their last two returns to the point where they are innocuous and unneeded. Same with Jack who only has impact in death rather then in life it seems. Sarah Brown just can't catch a break and neither can Brady under Eric. I say phase out Brady and Daniel as well you can't tell a difference when they are on or off anyway. The show also needs to make a choice in regards to keeping on Rafe (who was nuLucas anyway) or keeping Lucas you just don't need both of them. I would say to keep all the younger actors and actresses as the show hasn't felt like it has had a teen scene since the Phillip, Belle, Shawn, Mimi Days and to be honest it still doesn't. Days needs to establish new characters though.

#7 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 24,257 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

So now how are they going to explain Jack's absense from his family?? This is beyond ridiculous! On the other hand Sarah Brown's character was a complete dude and not needed. I guess Drake and Deidre are next??

#8 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,665 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I'm not really sad over any of them leaving. Carrie and Austin have been destroyed over their last two returns to the point where they are innocuous and unneeded. Same with Jack who only has impact in death rather then in life it seems. Sarah Brown just can't catch a break and neither can Brady under Eric. I say phase out Brady and Daniel as well you can't tell a difference when they are on or off anyway. The show also needs to make a choice in regards to keeping on Rafe (who was nuLucas anyway) or keeping Lucas you just don't need both of them. I would say to keep all the younger actors and actresses as the show hasn't felt like it has had a teen scene since the Phillip, Belle, Shawn, Mimi Days and to be honest it still doesn't. Days needs to establish new characters though.

I don't think they should get rid of Brady - just bring back Chloe, and figure out how to write for him.

DAYS has leading men who are just so bogged down in story and tedious fanbase wars (Lucas, Rafe, EJ). Brady is an exception to that, so he should be used properly.

#9 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 24,257 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

I still dont get why Galen Gerring is still on the show. He has to be one of the worst actors on daytime. Of course Days is known for keeping shitty actors like Drake....lol

#10 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,665 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

I still dont get why Galen Gerring is still on the show. He has to be one of the worst actors on daytime. Of course Days is known for keeping shitty actors like Drake....lol

Rafe seems popular, at least compared to most of their new hires in recent years. Many fans hate him, but a lot of fans seem to like "Safe." Others seem to be OK with Nicole/Rafe.

#11 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

This that damn Hernandez family! Hate GG and I hate Rafe. Actors like him are what gave DAYS the bad acting reputation

And Galen Gering, Molly Burnett & Shawn Christian remain employed.

I know it keeps pissing me of and preventing me from watching DAYS long term.

#12 JaneAusten

JaneAusten

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Rafe seems popular, at least compared to most of their new hires in recent years. Many fans hate him, but a lot of fans seem to like "Safe." Others seem to be OK with Nicole/Rafe.

I think he's ok. Not great. Days has only themselves to blame for catering to fan bases and that has not helped them one bit. For all the complaints about Higley and Tomlin, they didn't play fanbase war at least not like the show has done since the reboot. Rafe, Nicole, Brady are 3 characters in that age group fans seem to be open to see with anyone while EJ, Sami, Lucas all seem to generate the most inflexibility.

#13 Skin

Skin

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Rafe, Nicole, Brady are 3 characters in that age group fans seem to be open to see with anyone

That is because they have nothing to do and they have no role to play. They are fluid because they have no real purpose or steady characterization, they default to whoever has a primary focus of personality/character. Rafe works as the hero role because Sami/Carrie/Nicole need a hero, not because of anything specific to him necessarily. He would be less then useless without them in his story. Same with Brady who is only seen as good when you put him with a darker character to highlight his whiteness - i.e. Big bad Ian or big mean evil EJ. But then again Erica hasn't felt like Brady at all anyway. Nicole is very much the same, she bleeds into whatever she is around. None of these characters have any true identity to themselves and they change based on their surroundings more often then not. I wouldn't say that is a good thing. At least with Sami and EJ you know who they are even if the show desperately tries to enforce another view of them. You know who they are supposed to be. Same can't be said for that group, they change based on their settings.

Edited by Skin, 10 April 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#14 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'd keep Carrie, except that would mean holding onto Christie Clark, and...well...I'd rather not. Austin, though, can leave, regardless of who's playing him.

And as for Jack...? Well, since DAYS such a bang-up job making Jack & Jennifer painful to watch, perhaps he can leave her behind & she can hook up wiith, oh, I don't know, Brady perhaps?

#15 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,665 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

And as for Jack...? Well, since DAYS such a bang-up job making Jack & Jennifer painful to watch, perhaps he can leave her behind & she can hook up wiith, oh, I don't know, Brady perhaps?

I think I'd rather see Vivian/Brady :P

#16 JaneAusten

JaneAusten

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

That is because they have nothing to do and they have no role to play. They are fluid because they have no real purpose or steady characterization, they default to whoever has a primary focus of personality/character. Rafe works as the hero role because Sami/Carrie/Nicole need a hero, not because of anything specific to him necessarily. He would be less then useless without them in his story. Same with Brady who is only seen as good when you put him with a darker character to highlight his whiteness - i.e. Big bad Ian or big mean evil EJ. But then again Erica hasn't felt like Brady at all anyway. Nicole is very much the same, she bleeds into whatever she is around. None of these characters have any true identity to themselves and they change based on their surroundings more often then not. I wouldn't say that is a good thing. At least with Sami and EJ you know who they are even if the show desperately tries to enforce another view of them. You know who they are supposed to be. Same can't be said for that group, they change based on their settings.

I think Nicole has a very consistant characterization until the reboot at least and is hugely popular and valuable because Ari Zucker can sell anything. Once you get characters fans are unwilling to allow to move onto other relationships like EJ and Sami they are stuck. That's exactly why the super couples are so toxic it limits story potential. All you have to do is look at GH and their 2 most popular pairings over the past 5 years Jason and Sam and Patrick and Robin are also the dullest and most unwatchable for the same reason. Well robin is dead but you get my point. I actually think if they actually did something interesting with Brady hes a very viable character and the actor very watchable in a pairing.

#17 Skin

Skin

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

My main point is just that EJ and Sami could stand on their own as characters without someone else there to give them purpose, that can't be really said about Brady, Rafe or even Nicole at this point. They need someone there to give them purpose or validation as characters and to move their story in someway. Sami and EJ are catalyst characters who stimulate story and are self generating characters more often then they aren't. Ever since Nicole came back she has existed solely to mirror and contrast Sami as EJ's mail ordered Bride. She has lost any and all authority/autonomy as a character. Even her side stories with Brady, Adrianna and Taylor seemed devoid of purpose because she has no real frame of reference. If you notice all of Nicole's stories end up being someone else's stories. Nicole's wedding to EJ becomes about EJaylors epic attraction to each other, Nicole's relationship with Brady becomes a story about Brady and Adrianna being kept apart from one another, Bricole 2.0 becomes EJ turning Nicole into a wet nurse, etc. The writers don't seem to know what to do with her outside of her being EJ's wife. Even now the big focus of her story isn't really about her, it's about EJ being her babies father.

My problem with Brady is that he doesn't even seem like Brady to me, it's Ethan from Passions just with a bit more testosterone to up the ante with big bad EJ or Ian in this case. Brady hasn't had a real purpose since they recasted him.

Edited by Skin, 10 April 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#18 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

He's so damn aweful! Did he get worse since Trassions or did I not notice how bad he was because I was a Shuis fan? I can't stand the sight of him, and anytime he has to deliver something meaty, Galen takes a potty break. He needs to be gone!

SJB was a waste, and if I were watching GH right now, I'd love to see her back as Claudia Z.

Carrie and Austin - who needed to see them back? And I'm not buying Patrick Muldoon as a heterosexual male these days!

Matt Ashford - Good riddance, and don't accept anymore offers to return. Jack D is a waste of space, and I could not hate him more if I tried! Take Melissa R with you because for some odd reason, she's hell bent on looking like an 80 year old.

ANDREA

#19 JaneAusten

JaneAusten

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Sami and EJ are part of an ensemble and neither would exist without others around. I do agree that EJ and Sami are both antagonists and you need those types of characters on the show to stir things up. And I do think the idea of them going their separate ways was a great idea. They should both independently be able to fuel story themselves except it just doesn't happen because the fanbase won't let them therefore it stifles the characters. Nicole has existed as a character independent of Sami many times as she did EJ before she came back to the canvas. She also was the main catalyst in the baby switch story, it wasn't Sami and EJ just sat back and reacted for a year. But it's the issue this show has is it keeps characters entangled because they are too lazy or not creative enough to try something new. It's what drives the nostalgic returns , the retelling of the same stories over and over, and the constant need to throw EJ and Sami back and forth constantly.

#20 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

He's so damn aweful! Did he get worse since Trassions or did I not notice how bad he was because I was a Shuis fan? I can't stand the sight of him, and anytime he has to deliver something meaty, Galen takes a potty break. He needs to be gone!

SJB was a waste, and if I were watching GH right now, I'd love to see her back as Claudia Z.

Carrie and Austin - who needed to see them back? And I'm not buying Patrick Muldoon as a heterosexual male these days!

Matt Ashford - Good riddance, and don't accept anymore offers to return. Jack D is a waste of space, and I could not hate him more if I tried! Take Melissa R with you because for some odd reason, she's hell bent on looking like an 80 year old.

ANDREA

I was a Lancy fan but noticed how awful he was and he and MW were painful for me to watch with their scene chewing making her the bad chick at the end was an improvement.

Patrick Muldoon is awful now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users