DAYS: TV Guide interviews Greg Meng

• Members

He didnt say they dont want to see a gay storyline, at all. He said: "probably it's not the story that most women are going to tune in for every day, the one they don't want to miss. I think it's a story everybody likes, but the women want to see romance." I think what he is saying is that this story, however good it may be, is not good enough on its own to sustain a show and that women need romance and something they can relate to, too. its good, but its not enough.

And its been far from front and center for months, you yourself have pointed out several times how it starts and stops and doesnt seem to be a big story. Its a supporting story, for sure, but far from front and center.

I am not worried about it being dropped. I think he is aware it does work, and it is getting the only positive feedback for the show, but that it alone cant change the ratings and other stories need to be as good, as engaging, and that the show need romance. And he is so right, i think. The only romance at all on the show is between carrie and rafe, and now that shes leaving there is zero point in investing and even their story is so minor and about others, its not much of anything.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am annoyed at this women want to see romance comment. I'm not saying it's not true but he acts like from Sept to Dec when you know, Bope renewed their vows, Maggie and Victor got married, Sami and Rafe renewed their vows, EJ and Nicole reconnected, Carrie and Austin were together as were John and Marlena there was no romance and ratings were what? Endless love scenes which were all pretty vanilla. Women are not the exception to any viewing rules we want to see good storytelling. And that includes gay storytelling by the way which he seems to single out as something women would not go out of their way to tune in for. If it's a good story we would.

These folks need to step away from the message boards filled with couple shippers. All I ever read at DR is how awful Tomlin was and how he destroyed Days yet he's the only one since JER who improved ratings and tried to move the show and different characters forward. I firmly believe the endless merrygoround with EJ, Sami, Rafe, Nicole is an NBC or Sony mandate moreso than a creative choice.

• Members

Bicole and EJ is not romance it's an abuse relationship that keeps playing out on my screen. I was annoyed that MARDAR had her go right back to him afte rthat folded like my bitch comment. SAFE have always been boring. There is nothing exiciting about Rafe. And someone obviously loves GG way too much. AZ is frontburner because she can act and they know no matter how many times they stomp on her character her fans will keep watching. AS had too much power under Tomlin and Higley and is a huge chunck of the reason we had that baby switch storyline cuz they were letting her write in stuff like her pregnancy.

• Members

The problem with the romance stuff MarDar/Maxam/whoever did early on was that it was just fluff with no buildup, transparent, worthless - Sami cheated, Rafe cheated, Carrie cheated, EJ cheated. Few ever cared about Madison and her relationship with Brady was rushed. Romance is something which has to be built over time, and included in a real payoff.

• Members

My point was this bs about romance. That stmt from Meng is not true. I don't care how popular or sucky the couples might be they gave fans a ton of it. Schmaltz galore and I didn't see people tuning in for corny massages or tickle fights or Bope remarrying for the what 50th time?

I agree GG is overexposed but so was JS and Ari along with Ali. It might be time to let Rafe loose. I can see them just continuing this retread of Nicole keeping this baby from EJ with Rafe. I am also against EJ getting another kid. She should have gotten pregnant by Brady or someone else for a change.

• Members

I've never thought it was NBC as much as Ken Corday behind a lot of this [!@#$%^&*], and I still don't.

There has been a driving narrative for a long time that what the show needs is more Rafe/Shawn Christian/the endless foibles of Sami - the same failed new staples. Before that it was teens, before that an overload of campy Reilly-lite stories. There was the impression that Jack was too 'weird' a character and that Jennifer should be on with other men even though it never works. These mindsets are consistent and they come from somewhere, and I don't think it is NBC.

I really don't care anymore. I thought they did a good job introducing Sarah Brown as a professional woman, and I actually really loved her and Eric Martsolf together. I thought they were doing some very interesting things with the show amidst some other dross stories. Now it's the same old [!@#$%^&*] Days has been shoveling for over a decade. I just don't care.

• Members

None of that was romance tho. It was all empty and hallow, and most of it was void of any romance. Like sami marrying rafe was out of guilt, not romance.

And i agree about Tomlin. I think he is a good choice. Tho i disagree about the lead story being a mandate, i think its because those actors have high episode contracts and are treated as the leads and nobody can come up with a way to break them apart.

Not days interviews, actually. They are usually awful, full of blame, and never address anything.

And yeah, i guess we did. Im not sure what interview you read. wink.png

Archived