ABC Renews GH

• Members

Well GH staying on is good news for soap fans as I think ABC totally made the right decision today to also cancel that loser The Revolution which was embarrassing the network. Katie will have the lead-in she wants now in September.

What I find interesting is the GMA test, now I think GMA is successful because there's a bigger audience in the morning but I expect it to do better than The Revolution.

It's time for GH to get to OLTL levels in the ratings as I think if GMA does well the decision will be between The Chew and GH heading into 2013. If GH raises its ratings then it will be around beyond 2013.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

General Hospital was NOT renewed. ABC does not renew its soap operas like NBC or CBS renews DAYS, Y&R, and B&B. People don't understand that for some reason. The cast and the producers should not be breathing easy. This is a band-aid for ABC's schedule for next season. That's it!

ABC Cancels ‘The Revolution,’ Provides ‘General Hospital’ With Possible 50th Anniversary Celebration

• Members

Between Katie Couric and George Stephanapolous, I'm not sure if ABC could get worse "news" personnel in their daytime if they had an entire network hosted by Elizabeth Vargas and the "boom goes the dynamite" guy.

• Members

Well I can't comment on her story but I think that Finola would be a better photo because 1.) she's a woman, 2.) over 40 but looks great for her age, 3.) has some non soap recognition (Didn't she host some fashion reality show?) and 4.) she appeals to the classic and offline GH viewer.

Pimping ME, again I say this as a fan, didn't help OLTL.Yes he has a fanbase but both character and actor would benefit from moderation in exposure.

• Webmaster

The only thanks the fans of "GH" (and daytime soaps) should be getting from GH is for NOT watching The Revolution and checking out of GH itself outside of how it was already doing before Revolution debuted! Otherwise, there is NOTHING the show has done itself (ratings wise) to justify all these tears of joy. The only joy is there is a job for the time being. Now is the time to bring those ratings up or else!

• Members

Well, good for GH, for living to die another day! I haven't really watched in this millennium, save for an episode or two about Robin or when a Quartermaine was dying, and I haven't truly enjoyed GH since 1996. However, of the remaining 4 shows, once upon a time, I cared about it the most. Frankly, I'm also glad if only a few people who've dedicated their careers to this genre that I have loved have a little more time left before being kicked to the curb in this horrible economy. If some mailroom clerk who was there during the AIDS story in the mid-90s gets a few more paychecks, then I say good.

I also don't think Carlivati and Valentini are the devil incarnate. I was disillusioned by their tenure at OLTL and I've heard nothing about GH to make me want to watch. But I think they have their skills and they mean well. Granted, they seemingly have kept themselves employed by telling stories about things that I often couldn't even bring myself to watch, let alone spend most of my waking hours executing down to the most minute detail. And they're probably not as talented - or at least as experienced - as some vet writers and execs who should have been the ones giving these shows their proper sendoffs. But as far as I'm concerned, the networks have become way too involved in the creative process for any writer or producer to do what they need to do to have any hope of success in this medium - which is to tell stories involving characters that viewers care about that are well-planned enough to have a decent payoff, for at least a year.

I can't name one soap that's done that in a very long time. I truly believe that the Disneyfication of ABC and the abrupt end to some interesting things that each of those soaps were doing, some more than others, in the mid-90s was the snuffing out of the last hope for creativity in this field. Looking bad, it seems clear that the creative people behind the hour-long soaps were pushed to the absolute brink before then, but when the neverending focus-group-driven rewrites and the complete lack of rehearsal time were piled on, moments of good writing or acting became the exception to the rule. There are only so many hours in the day. And soaps were derided for not having those things to begin with, so nobody sounded the alarm. I just don't have the mental energy to blame individual writers or producers any longer, and frankly these two seem a lot more amiable in interviews than a lot of their peers came across when attempting to justify the nonsense that had their names on it in years past.

• Members

I do agree with you, I think having Finola would make more sense. Just speaking from a personal level, I am glad they didn't, because Anna exists on GH solely to hold the hands of Luke and John. She does not exist as a character.

• Members

I don't think they're the devil incarnate, but they have been hyped as the saviors of daytime for years now, even when OLTL was a pit.

I'm sure some of the decisions are mandated, but that they just blatantly recycled several of their OLTL stories tells me they do have some control.

• Members

ABC does not renew it shows cause they own them, no reason to renew but they have been told today that they were given a year. This most likely means a year from now April 2013 we will learn the fate of GH and if Canned will be off by Sept 2013. I also agree with Errol that if GMA Afternoons does well in its 9 weeks that could be the show that ABC adds in Fall 2013

Archived