Days Promo - Happy Easter EJ and Sami

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't expect anything to come from this, nothing ever does. But it would be nice to see an evil EJ and Sami terrorizing the town and getting what they want and be the very characters they were supposed to be. Damaged, twisted and loving it the entire time. EJ is really the only character outside of Brandon who ever saw Sami as the destructive woman that she is. It would be wonderful for Sami to start accepting those aspects of herself since she tries so hard to repress everything about them.

• Members

This crap is as played out as this nonsense from the 90s. Does this show ever allow characters to move on. As far as fan bases I agree Carl but it's done nothing to maintain viewers or keep their interest as ratings have shown. And every attempt to do Ejami in particular has resulted in even lower ratings so other than online buzz they are not a draw either just a very noisy online fanbase. And their chemistry has always escaped me. As for Sami being desired by every hunk in town that was never ever her appeal and like Carly and Kendall it's ruined her rootability. I can imagine this was an NBC demanded change. They think Sweeney is the hottest thing ever but like evey other character thats overexposed it's worn out.. On the positive side James Scott is gorgeous and gets even hotter as he ages.

• Members

I'm pretty sure EJ's rampage over Salem was pretty well regarded in terms of ratings (Nov. 2006 - Spring of 07'). I don't really know how that correlates to the EJ/Sami pairing as they have never really been given a chance to be a couple because Sami has always had an alternative lover, be it Lucas or Rafe while EJ was courting her.

As to the ratings discussion I don't understand the logic in this. No one couple can save an entire show from sinking ratings, it's pretty much a known fact that soaps in general have been losing viewers for decades now. One couple being together won't do much to change that decline in viewership, shows just don't work like that. Even in Primetime with special guest stars the effect is minimal and becomes less substantial each time they guest star. I think it's time to stop blaming singular couples or singular characters for diminished ratings and it's time to look at the overall picture in terms of people just aren't watching soaps anymore. That might very well be because they are not interested in the whole piece of the show and see no reason to watch for one character or one pairing.

If there is one thing we have seen from all of these returns it's that it's not the character that most viewers tune in for. It's the story as we saw from the temporary boost Days had during the Baby switch as well as the temporary boost OLTL had with the Two Todd story. The couple/characters don't really have anything to do with it as we have seen from the low fanfare appearances from Day's returns as well as another return GH had with Vanessa Marcil.

Sweeney benefited from a time period where Days needed a younger centralized heroine figure and she was the only one available.

• Members

I am not going to get into a discussion about ratings only to say while I like Alison Sweeney days has continued to plummet with her as show heroine. The one thing I agree with Sheffer on was the idea that EJ and Sami were never ever meant to be a couple and that his plan was to have EJ and Phillip as adversaries of the 2 criminal families in town, the DiMera's and Kiriakis families. Both characters suffered from being forced into pairings as did turning Sami into the show heroine. This idea that EJ is some sort of evil person who allows her to be herself at this point is utter nonsense. She never was when the show actually attempted to pair them and both characters suffered.

As for this promo, it's no diff than the rinse and repeat of the 90s. EJ lives across the hall from Sami while she and Lucas are reconnecting(sound familiar) and while Rafe and Nicole are again keeping a kid of EJs paternity a secret. As I said the best part of this promo is at James Scott continues to be the most gorgeous man on soaps.

• Members

ooooooh, OK. So, Lucas/Sami's back on *barf* as a means for Sami to stop herself from pursuing EJ/Sami? I approve of this SL, if so. EJ/Sami is by FAR the most interesting couple the show has, currently!

Archived