Historical Inaccuracies

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kim learned of her pregnancy a day or so before being kidnapped, and didn't get to tell Bob. During the story she did things like climb out a window making a rope out of sheets.

Between that and undoing the early 70's stillbirth I think Marland decided Kim had the toughest uterus in Oakdale.

• Members

On Y&R it seems Ashley magically grew a new uterus as I seem to remember she had a hysterectomy after her car accident and miscarriage. Yet recently she got pregnant to Victor somehow.

This isn't an historical inaccuracy so much, but something that always bugged me was the aftermath of the Jill/Jack affair on Y&R. Jack became the victim in the whole thing, while Jill was the man eater. When in reality it was the other way around. Jill crashed her car in the snow, thought she was going to die and also thought her marriage to John was falling apart. Brenda played it vulnerable and scared and Jack took advantage of Jill, she also had remorse the next day, while Jack was smug.

• Members

Tom Cudahy was a devout Catholic on AMC, thus his stance against Erica taking birth control, but he was married to 5 different women and had children with 2 (well, technically 3). I doubt the Catholic church would be open that many annulments.

• Members

At least with Fletcher he had the vasectomy years before he was in Springfield. Or how about that whole mess with Ryan on AMC thinking he got a vasectomy, but then a letter came saying it was never done. WHAT?

One that drove me up a wall, was how in 1999, they wrote dialogue on GL that Holly and Ross were engaged when Blake went after him. Ross ended the engagement in the Fall of 1990, so how could they have been engaged in Spring 1992.

Love the Tom Cudahy comment too true.

• Members

The Ryan vasectomy thing always bugged the hell out of me. My husband has been snipped. Trust me, even someone as dumb as Ryan would have known that his balls were painfully swollen and sore. wacko.png

Tom was a hypocritical sexist Catholic. His wife using birth control = bad. Abortion = bad (he was shown protesting outside a clinic when Julia was pregnant by rape and terminated her pregnancy). Tom getting drunk and cheating on a pregnant Brooke with an equally drunk Erica the night before her wedding to Adam = apparently okay, although kudos to Brooke for giving him the boot. Tom getting married over and over and over again = totally fine too.

• Members

I love you! Jill just can't win. They turned Katherine into a Saint and Jack walked away from the whole affair thing pretty much unscathed. Jill isn't nice and made bad choices, but everything she used to say about Katherine in regards to Phillip was right on the money.

• Members

That's the way it usually is, unfortunately. Not just with Catholics, but most organized religions -- or, rather, the people who claim to practice. Somehow men can go out and have all the sex they want (even if it's not for procreation), but 2 monogamist, loving gays marrying each other is somehow wrong...???

• Members

I guess I mean more a victim to other characters, not so much the audience.

I guess it was more the fact that most of the characters who knew about the affair, hated Jill, so you only really saw it from their point of view. Jill really only had Michael Crawford on her side, Jack almost always got sympathy from Dina, Nikki and Katherine during that time, it made perfect sense that these characters would respond that way, but it was frustrating.

The same thing happened with Katherine, as soon as Liz left town, there was no-one to back Jill up to other characters about their past (Rex doesn't count since the past was rarely if ever brought up around him and he tried to be more neutral), and Kay always had Esther and Nikki to believe her version of events.

Sorry these aren't historical inaccuracies and make perfect sense with character and story, just gets to me. I guess that was why Bill Bell was such a good writer, I am still talking about it.

Archived