OWN Cancels The Rosie Show

Jonathan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly, that was a very, very, strange thing and I think it was a sign that things were not going well, I find it so interesting that the article mentions how Rosie was only told about the 7pm time slot a month or two before the airdate, that's INSANE, no wonder the show looked so slapped together. She clearly hated the band leader, her attitude I find puzzling, she's proud of how she didn't gel with Rosie, why she was hired when she couldn't play show tunes at the drop of a hat, good luck girl, not on Rosie's show.

And then you have the ridiculous OWN team who launched the network with absolutely nothing going for it, nothing noteworthy.

If they could turn back time, either the network never should have happened or Oprah should have migrated The Oprah Winfrey Show to OWN, produced a string of concert specials starring her friends (think Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston [RIP], etc etc), aired Harpo movies and mini-series, produced original scripted programming (5 shows at the minimum), 5 reality shows, repackaged Oprah episodes, a Suze Orman continuing series, Dr Oz reruns and several other talk programs. And then I would have promoted the sh*t out of all of it.

Basically, a lot of work needed to be done, a lot of work that takes more than a year to do. None of this work happened and the half assed network known as OWN pollutes our airwaves.

• Members

What amazes me in this is how incompetent and unprepared Oprah's people seemed to be. It makes me wonder if they just got through based on Oprah's charisma and on the sense of being a "family."

Reading about the way Rosie humiliated these people was just tough to deal with. I think Oprah's arrogance blinded her to knowing the history of this person and questioning if she needed yet another chance to implode.

• Members

That's not an uncommon thing. Publicists lie all the time and get booted off shows, that's part of the territory. Publicists can be some of the nastiest people you would ever deal with in the business because they are 100% client focused, they don't give a damn what lies they tell a show producer, swag tent runner or producer. I know, many of my friends are publicists and I'd hate, HATE to deal with them in a professional setting.

Rosie is as good as she is bad. Everyone in the business has two sides to them. Rosie is a perfectionist, she knew how badly this show was being managed and I'm sure she blew up repeatedly. I think it was also stupid as all hell of Oprah to insist that the show be filmed at Harpo in Chicago with Oprah loyalists who I am sure thought they knew 'best'. Yes, they're all Oprah employees, but The Rosie Show was independently run by Rosie's KidRo Productions, she should have driven her own bus and ran her own show out of New York with her crew, not the pseudo independence she had with Oprah. Oprah herself should have realised that, she interviewed Rosie last year and they made the 'bus driver' analogy themselves.

Nail. Head. You hit it. The Oprah staff is ridiculously incompetent and unprepared and even Oprah's charisma has failed them. Oprah ran a great show, a good production studio and a decent company. She never ran a network or an operation of this size and it's glaringly obvious.

• Members

It was a mistake on Oprah's part to think that her all she needed was her personality to launch an entire network.

And needless to say, the "Live Your Best Life" philosophy she likes to spew is not enough to sustain any new network.

I find it funny and ironic how hard Oprah tried to run away from the trashier early seasons of The Oprah Winfrey Show, yet one of the shows they constantly re-run on OWN is Unfaithful, which is complete with hilarious trashy reenactments of extramarital sex of the couples they document.

• Members

You must have misread it, if someone had been assaulted they would have sued. Publicists are litigious people. I'm sure it was something like "Publicist X, Star Y is in the green room, go see them" and then it turns out Star Y was already on the set and the set was then locked.

EXACTLY. Unfaithful is about as trashy as it gets and Oprah's calling her network an inspiration? Really, she didn't have a plan for this network, she could sustain a show, she could not sustain a network. The Ryan and Tatum O'Neal reality show was pretty sick as well.

The Sarah, Duchess of York series was the worst of all: boring. And it didn't need to be. Fergie is game for most anything, but sending her to whine with Dr Phil was a waste of time. Had we seen Sarah get to work, lose weight, get her face laser-ed, overhaul her wardrobe, cut her hair, start kicking ass...it would have been good. How on earth they botched THAT show I will never understand.

• Members

IA what they need are a couple of anchor shows to drive viewers. Our America is decent and an Oprah led show could be another. When the network is your brand how can you be MIA. I've actualy liked some of what they've done and I like her vision but it's probably never going to gain mass popularity being a network about celebration of the human spirit and female empowerment sad to say.

I'd like the stats on how long it took networks like Bravo to gain footing. It wasn't overnight and lord knows their brand has changed from more upscale programming to some trash TV.

• Members

I don't think Oprah is missing from OWN. She's got Next Chapter and Lifeclass. Effectively, those two shows combined are The Oprah Winfrey Show. The former has one-on-one interviews and the latter has self-help advice.

In general, OWN lacks quality programming.

I think she should go with one of Jimmy Kimmel's ideas. :lol:

• Members

I don't think people want to see more of the blather Oprah who tells everyone how to live their life and how noble this is. People may have put up with that because they liked Oprah, but they aren't going to sit through a network of strangers.

I think she should have produced her own soap, with some cheap talent who are looking for a chance.

Either that, or shown reruns of the South African soaps, like Generations, Isidingo, Egoli, Scandal, etc. I think they, if given a chance to reach a wider (if OWN counts as that) audience, could have become solid performers. They might also bring in the viewers who feel American soaps, and American TV in general, has no use for them.

Archived