Writers strike 1988

• Members

As I'm working on 1988 synopses these days, I was wondering about the Writers strike. I tried to find info on most shows but I'm sure you could bring more details to me.

AMC: No particular information

AW: Sheri Anderson was hired in February and new EP Michael Laibson had Lemay rehired.

ATWT: Douglas Marland was still credited as “story by”

BB / YR: Bell must have kept in charge

DAYS: No partical information

GH: Gene Palumbo was made HW after the strike. Don’t know exactly when Norma Monty left and when he took over. Did he write during the strike?

GL: Pam Long was still credited, a la Marland.

LOV: Joseph Hardy must have taken over as EP during the strike and Tom King & Millee Taggart replaced Ralph Ellis just after the strike but I don’t have much info.

OLTL: No particular information

RH: Labine mother & daughter came back after the strike

SB: Guza & Anne Howard Bailey came back after the strike

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AW The show was written by Donna Swajeski during the writer's strike, along with Michael Zazlow (Roger on GL) and his wife Susan Hufford, Narissa Radel, Janet Iacubuzio and Mimi Leahy. All of whom were hired after the writer's strike. Harding Lemay came in to write for 9 weeks to fulfill contract requirements then P&G fired him.

DOOL: Leah Laiman and Anne Schoettle left a long story bible and were credited throughout the strike as "story by"

GL: Pam Long didn't leave a long bible so the show sucked as it was written by producers, scabs and P&G staff

• Members

AMC: Broderick had been writing solo til the strike. Supposedly, with a little ghost-writing help from Agnes, EP Steve Schenkel did the lion's share of the writing during the strike. It was decided, justifiably, to place the Cindy/AIDS story on hold til the strike was over, so they married off Stuart/Cindy at the beginning of the strike and sent them to Paris, along with Adam & Brooke. These four characters were off the canvass nearly the entire summer of 88. Besides the Palmer/Natalie stuff, almost everything seemed like filler.

• Members

For "Days", the dialogue writers and story consultant Pat Falken Smith went on strike as of the 3/30/88 episode. The breakdown writers were last listed on 4/8/88.

Leah Laiman and Anne M. Schoettle were listed as "Story by" from 4/13/88-9/13/88.

The whole staff was back on 9/14/88.

• Members

When I find it again I will post the 1988 SOD article where writers talked about the strike and how it affected their shows.

Ann Marcus (for GH), Anne Howard Bailey (for SB), Leah Laiman (for DAYS), Claire Labine (for RH), Pam Long (for GL). They said that Bailey and Marcus (I think) were gone by the time the article went to print.

• Members

In regards to "Loving," I've always seen in listed in SOD that Taggert and King took over when the show returned from the strike.

From your wording, I'm not sure if you were aware Labine wrote "Ryan's Hope" before the strike for a good year to eighteen months, I believe.

• Members

I remember a quote from McTavish, who I guess was breakdown writer at AMC at that point. She was upset because she had Brooke/Adam have some huge arguement before she left town for a week. Brooke returned in one of the first scab scripts, and they were all lovey-dovey, as if nothing had happened.

Archived