February 13-17, 2012

Toups

• Members

B&B's surging beautifully and it's well deserved, the show isn't Shakespeare but it IS entertaining and isn't insulting the intelligence of the viewer.

The same cannot be said for GH, I haven't watched the show in years but if it's anything like it's been since 2007 then I am delighted the ratings continue to fall. I will dance on this show's grave for what it has become.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH was always the demo darling of the soaps. Its sad but deserved. The 2 shows know for attracting a younger audience, Days and GH, both doing dreadfully in the key demos.

B&B drops viewers but gains in the key demos. Impressive for them but I just hope they maintain their advantage because this triangle has taken a turn to the extreme stupid.

• Members

Days seems to have stopped its slide. I think it's slowly improving. Still too many dumb plots but they get an A for more mature writing. Sets and costumes are also improving. Now kill off Austin, replace the actress who plays Abby, give Madison a full apartment, cut Sonny's hair and bring his parent to the fore, bring Julie in for more scenes with Hope and get Sami out of that nasty apartment set! Also, they had better keep Richard Culliton as scriptwriter. The newbies, Dyer and Schroeder, are nothing to write home about.

• Members

So I guess it's official, people love Lily and Cane - highest ratings of the week. Whatever. I just don't get them as a couple - never have, never will. Both actors would be better off with others. Thank goodness, there are many other happening in Genoa City to keep me interested - for now. Anyway, B&B's rise is amazing - especially in the demo.

• Members

Here's the daytime network talk show ratings for last week:

Total Viewers

1. The View 3,780,000

2. The Talk 2,350,000

3. The Chew 2,300,000

4. The Revolution 1,530,000

Women 18-49

1. The View 1.2

2. The Talk 0.9

3. The Chew 0.7

4. The Revolution 0.5

Women 25-54

1. The View 1.5

2. The Talk 1.1

3. The Chew 1.0

4. The Revolution 0.7

Women 18-34

1. The View 0.7

2. The Talk 0.5

3. The Chew 0.4

4. The Revolution 0.3

• Members

Sad to admit, but the networks made the right decisions, financially speaking, except maybe for The Revolution. If As the World Turns was still on the air, it wouldn't be pulling in 2.3 million viewers at this point, as every soap continues/d to decline year after year.

• Members

Just cancel DAYS and GH already. DAYS used to bring in HUGE numbers in the demos. Dead last where it deserves to be.

GH sadly has a horrible lead in, causing all this slide. I can see ABC giving it another year or so if the Revolution continues to bring in horrible numbers. But GH is dead and should be dead. It is really knocking on the 2 million in the TV.

• Members

Yeah pretty much. CBS is probably thinking we should have dumped these shows years ago. :(

Don't you guys think that at the very least Y&R could survive off their total viewers. Would CBS really want to throw a solid 4-5 million people putting their eyes on the network every day?

Kyle, DAYS is fine. Sony pays a fee if the show dips below a certain ratings point (which is very low) and NBC doesn't have a daytime division actively looking for replacements. Even if they did a completely new show with absolutely no lead in would bomb. Unless they want to give the hour to the affiliates, Days isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. NBC has much bigger problems in primetime to be worried about soaps.

• Members

With The Revolution not improving in the ratings at all and affiliaties starting to pull the show from their schedules it might be in ABC's best interest to keep GH for another year and see if the new regime can bring the ratings up in the 2pm timeslot.

I can honestly see GH being a much better ratings performer by the fall as the show had its best week quality wise this week in years. If The Chew is still scoring 2.2-2.3 million viewers by the fall, GH can easily build off of that. GH is already building around 700,000 viewers off of The Revolution so that will Katie Couric the best lead-in possible. The Chew probably wouldn't be doing 2.3 million if it wasn't for the local news lead-ins that provide around 3 million everyday across the country. The same thing goes for The Talk who has the B&B lead-in most of the country, ATWT was doing better when B&B was at those levels back in 2007 and 2008. B&B started declining hard in 2009 before ATWT was cancelled so ATWT's numbers went down to Talk levels. With B&B doing better now I can see ATWT flowing a whole lot more better. I believe CBS was in a better position than ABC was in to get rid of some of their soaps but they better keep Y&R and B&B as long as possible.

If ABC keeps GH which they really have no choice in doing if they want Katie Couric to succeed then they should move GH to 2pm sometime during the summer so the audience can settle in before the fall.

Archived