Hannibal: Discussion Thread

Toups

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

“Hannibal” — One of the most fascinating literary characters comes to life on television for the first time: psychiatrist-turned-serial-

killer, Dr. Hannibal Lecter. In this new drama from Bryan Fuller(“Pushing Daisies,” “Heroes”), based on the characters from Thomas Harris’ classic novels, we see where this incredible story began. Will Graham (Hugh Dancy, “The Big C”) is a gifted criminal profiler who is on the hunt for a serial killer with the FBI. Graham’s unique way of thinking gives him the astonishing ability to empathize with anyone – even psychopaths. He seems to know what makes them tick. But when the mind of the twisted killer he’s pursuing is too complicated for even Will to comprehend, he enlists the help of Dr. Lecter, one of the premier psychiatric minds in the country. Armed with the uncanny expertise of the brilliant doctor, Will and Hannibal (known as a serial killer only to the audience) form a brilliant partnership and it seems there’s no villain they can’t catch. If Will only knew… Fuller is writer and executive producer. Martha De Laurentis (“Red Dragon,” “Hannibal”), Sara Colleton (“Dexter”), Jesse Alexander (“Lost”, “Heroes”), and Katie O’Connell also serve as executive producers. David Slade is the director/executive producer for the series pilot. ”Hannibal” is produced by Gaumont International Television.

• Members

Well, I care as did the people who went to see both of the original movies. The first movie with Lecter was Manhunter by Michael Mann which was great, but did not do well in the theatre. The second more well known movie was Silence with the Lambs with Anthony Hopkins. The character of Lecter is compelling if played by the right actor and the writing is solid so we'll see if this series can pull this off.

• Members

I think most people just remember the Hopkins movie. I haven't seen any big interest in this since that time (it seemed like the Red Dragon movie came and went). I just wonder why they need to dredge this up again.

• Members

Well, that's their loss. Manhunter is a great movie and is now considered a classic cult film.

Because it is an interesting premise for a procedural with a new twist; a serial killer hiding among the police. I would not be surprised if Dexter's success influenced NBC's decision to pick up the pilot.

• Members

I think it was an interesting idea at one time, I just feel like the whole peek into the mind of a serial killer we're supposed to like more than the rest has been overused in recent years.

I agree that it's their loss - I liked Manhunter. But it wasn't as known as Silence of the Lambs, and that seems to be the only thing anyone remembers of this franchise.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I liked the pilot and will soon check out episode 2. Apparently, ratings remained steady for the second episode, so that seems to be a good sign (especially since the general trend is a dip from episode 2 and on).

• 1 year later...

Archived