Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Ranking Viki's alters

One Life to Live

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

I think it made sense to change Niki when there were so many alters, but once Viki was integrated, and only one returned, Niki should have been more moderate, as she was before the 1995 story. Her last appearances in 1991 showed that she did care about Viki and Viki's family. The idea that she would go wild in 2002, or the rewrite that she'd let Jessica be molested, just awful.

#22 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

ICAM, Carl. :)

#23 Skin

Skin

I will remember the real Babe, the ideal flawed good girl

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

So did the show basically just copy and paste Viki's alters with Jessica's other two in the form of Bree (Jean) and Tess (Niki)?

#24 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yes.

#25 SFK

SFK

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,878 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

I guess the latter day OTT Niki was more in line with the text book take on such an alter. Alters are splinters, not fully developed personalities showing varying shades of grey. There's no need. "There's an alter for that." Real-life cases often show dozens of alters. Still, Niki was so damn obnoxious, I really disliked the way ES played her as much as I adore her work.

Now of course, BW got to have her Tess written more in line with earlier Niki. She was more of a 3D character when for all intents and purposes she should have been as one note and cartoonish as Niki "to be fair". Then there's the whole subject of her being BW's favorite to play and whether or not FV/RC were honoring that yadda yadda...

#26 Skin

Skin

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Now of course, BW got to have her Tess written more in line with earlier Niki. She was more of a 3D character when for all intents and purposes she should have been as one note and cartoonish as Niki "to be fair". Then there's the whole subject of her being BW's favorite to play

Well that's to be expected, Williamson could never play Jessica.

#27 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

She couldn't play Tess most of the time either...

#28 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Honestly, the only thing BW could play was jump-rope with my last nerve.

#29 Scotty

Scotty

...because we only have 'One Life to Live'

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

She couldn't play Tess most of the time either...

Agreed....and speaking of alters BW couldn't play...

Don't even get me started on Wes...lol.

That was a disaster just waiting to happen.

#30 BKuzak

BKuzak

Contract

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Don't even get me started on Wes...lol.

That was a disaster just waiting to happen.

Agreed completly but in real life cases (even though this is probably the rareist diease ever) there are usually boys and girls alters in one person's mind. Like Tommy,...the boy's existance usually is in girls because their mind created a "big brother" to protect them from the abuser. Niki was in charge of dealing with the sex, Jean was in charge of making Viki block it out and Tori was the avenger who wanted justice done. Princess was the part of Viki's mind that was still the scared little girl constantly reliving the abuse.

Now the whole "Wess. Tess. Bess. Jess." thing...forget it. that was pure soap. it's one thing to have Viki/Niki but in real life all the alters have different names. it's not a stupid ryhmining thing. They really thought-out Erika's 1995 storyline and i heard she even watched sessions of real victims (with their permission). With Jessica, the writers just decided to go crazy with no real thoughts put into it.

#31 Scotty

Scotty

...because we only have 'One Life to Live'

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Agreed completly but in real life cases (even though this is probably the rareist diease ever) there are usually boys and girls alters in one person's mind. Like Tommy,...the boy's existance usually is in girls because their mind created a "big brother" to protect them from the abuser. Niki was in charge of dealing with the sex, Jean was in charge of making Viki block it out and Tori was the avenger who wanted justice done. Princess was the part of Viki's mind that was still the scared little girl constantly reliving the abuse.

Now the whole "Wess. Tess. Bess. Jess." thing...forget it. that was pure soap. it's one thing to have Viki/Niki but in real life all the alters have different names. it's not a stupid ryhmining thing. They really thought-out Erika's 1995 storyline and i heard she even watched sessions of real victims (with their permission). With Jessica, the writers just decided to go crazy with no real thoughts put into it.

Oh no, I know that abuse victims often create an alter of the opposite sex.

I just meant that Bree was awful when she was playing Wes. And the rhyming sceme thing was just awful too, lol.

#32 Skin

Skin

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

I never understood how or why Wes manifested. I get why Bess did, Jessica couldn't deal with her baby being stillborn and neither could Tess so Bess was used to resolved the conflict and stole a baby so Tessica wouldn't have to. But Wes, that never made any sense whatsoever to me.

Back to Victoria though how would you order the alters in terms of strength? I think Niki was probably the strongest alter. She seemed to be the one character who was able to stay out for extended amounts of time without weakening and having other alters pop out under her watch. Jean seemed to have a hard time staying out most of the time and was easily exhausted.

Edited by Skin, 13 February 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#33 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

It was someone's idea of a joke. Haha, she's flirting with girls. Haha, she's a man, baby! Just more fetishizing and thrilling to sexual abuse from that regime.

#34 Skin

Skin

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

Well Jessica's entire DID storyline was a joke, so I guess they figured why not run with it.

#35 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

Back to Victoria though how would you order the alters in terms of strength? I think Niki was probably the strongest alter. She seemed to be the one character who was able to stay out for extended amounts of time without weakening and having other alters pop out under her watch. Jean seemed to have a hard time staying out most of the time and was easily exhausted.

Niki was mostly just mindless fun. Jean and Tori both had more ability to form plans and carry out goals.

Well Jessica's entire DID storyline was a joke, so I guess they figured why not run with it.

That's just yet another example of what bad writers they were. There's nothing fun about a stillborn child.

#36 Antoyne

Antoyne

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

Tess wasnt originally a joke..when she first appeared TSJTodd and Viki still had a relationship.

#37 Skin

Skin

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

Tess wasnt originally a joke..when she first appeared TSJTodd and Viki still had a relationship.

There was so much that the writers needed to rewrite and change in order for Jessica to have DID, to the point where the mere idea of it is preposterous. Why would Niki an alter created to protect Viki from rape, risk putting another little girl (Viki's daughter no less) in the same situation continuously? Even if Niki was morally bankrupt and reprehensible it still doesn't make any sense for Niki to take Jessica out of the house so she could go to bars/motels and have sex. Surely she could have found a baby sitter or just left Jessica alone with Clint or her brothers or something. The whole DID storyline for Jessica reeked of the writers having no clue how to make Jessica an interesting character on her own. If anything Natalie would be the character to fragment and crumble considering Roxie's dubious parenting skills.

Edited by Skin, 13 February 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#38 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

There was so much that the writers needed to rewrite and change in order for Jessica to have DID, to the point where the mere idea of it is preposterous. Why would Niki an alter created to protect Viki from rape, risk putting another little girl (Viki's daughter no less) in the same situation continuously? Even if Niki was morally bankrupt and reprehensible it still doesn't make any sense for Niki to take Jessica out of the house so she could go to bars/motels and have sex. Surely she could have found a baby sitter or just left Jessica alone with Clint or her brothers or something. The whole DID storyline for Jessica reeked of the writers having no clue how to make Jessica an interesting character on her own. If anything Natalie would be the character to fragment and crumble considering Roxie's dubious parenting skills.

IA with you on the points of the story. It also did damage to Viki as she said she noticed something was off with Jessica in the morning back then yet she NEVER followed up on it or investigated what was going wrong with her. I cant beleive Viki could be so negligent and pretty much allow her abuse to continue as a result of her failure as a parent in that situation. And where the hell was Clint? He was a constant presence in Jessica's life growing up. With that said, IA with Antoyne, in that despite the flaws in the story, I dont think the character of Tess was a joke. She was layered and stood on her own quite well, to the point that she was better written then dare say Jessica at that point. Its too bad they had to do such a hack job to the history of the characters to make this story work

#39 Antoyne

Antoyne

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

How did they explain Viki's DID pre-Slezak?

#40 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

How did they explain Viki's DID pre-Slezak?

I believe it was stress and pressure from being Victor Lord's daughter. She developed a wild personality to contrast the prim and proper persona she was expected to be as Victoria Lord. It soon came out this stemmed from watching her mother be killed following a fall from the stairs as a child.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: One Life to Live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users