Ranking Viki's alters

• Members

Can we do this? Rank them and say why... I'm interested in the opinions of people more familiar with this storyline than I am. I've actually only recently watched scenes from the Viki's alters storyline on Youtube. In all these years of soap watching I've never watched it before. Erika Slezak is over the top, but in a very good way.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The best alter by far, IMO, was Jean! If only for the very smart suits she wore! LOL! Jean was an emotionless control freak, and the smartest alter. The way she masterminded the demise of the Joey/Dorian and Tina/David relationships was genius! And locking Dorian up in the secret room for weeks was just icing on the cake. tongue.png

• Members

Agreed, Jean was a really unique character for soaps and the alter that didn't require Slezak to ham it up. I thought she was the most three-dimensional of the alters and her motivations for everything she did were noble and made sense, and the calm way she carried it all out made her likable instead of a villain like most characters concocting those schemes would be.

• Members

What about the worst alter? I think Princess was pretty tragic and effective for like 2 minutes, but once you get past that she kinda just says, "Please" a lot.

What did people think about this storyline at the time? I know a lot of OLTL fans disliked Viki during the Gottlieb years when she got with Sloan, I think that was a pretty hated storyline. And IIRC, this storyline came right after Gottlieb left. It was great writing and acting, but at the same time it was a huge re-write of OLTL's past. Did that piss people off or was it overlooked?

• Members

I think Niki post-1991 or so would be the worst alter.

The Sloan/Viki story was very divisive.

I guess you'd have to go look at newsgroups of that time to get a strong opinion - I know the soap magazines liked the story. The show was not seen as being hugely strong at this point, outside of that story - the Angel Square plot in particular got criticism.

• Members

Watching adults play children is a pet peeve of mine, so after the initial shock and emotional impact of the Princess personality, I found her to be a little irritating. Irritating mixed with an awkward embarrassment for the actor.

I was finally watching OLTL with young adult eyes at this point. I of course knew who Clint was, but I had no particular emotional tie to him and I'm one of the few, I guess, who actually liked Sloan with Viki. I liked when they went on their little capers trying to take down Dorian. I thought they were an elegant couple. The DID was riveting, I absolutely loved it... I taped it, I rushed home for it, I hated it when I for whatever reasons ended up missing a day. Back then, I seem to remember chatting more than posting about the show. This was over at AOL's ABC channel. I really don't remember any negative feedback about the s/l itself, most people seemed to be fascinated watching the truth, and Viki, unravel. I do recall a SOD writer teasing that someday it would be revealed that Niki Smith and not Dorian was Victor's true killer. This was at least a year before this s/l and the revelation that Niki was not the only alter. I don't even recall Sloan hatred as I see more now. I think folks were more understanding of the situation given Clint Ritchie's injury.

• Members

Aren't all of Viki's personalities supposed to be strong fragments of her persona so they can protect her from life's difficulties? The whole reason she fragmented was because of her fathers abuse and that's why Tommy, Jean and Niki all surfaced to protect Viki from problems in her life which she couldn't handle. The whole thing that kicked off the revelation of all of her alters was the reveal that the rapist Todd was her brother. So what's the purpose of alters like Princess and Tori, wouldn't they both cause more harm then anything else? Princess was a seven year old girl, how could she protect Viki from anything? I guess she could be the innocent part of Viki but I can't imagine how she could be strong enough to "come out" and compete with stronger personalities. Tori also seemed to be a very destructive personality, how would that help Viki? I don't remember enough of the Victor personality to comment on it.

• Members

1. Tori

2. Niki (but only pre-2002 crapfest)

3. Jean.

Those were the only fleshed out ones. The rest were too one night to really make much of an impact

No they arent all supposed to be strong fragments. Some are, but others are not. Tori ultimately protected Viki, by killing her abuser, effectively ending his reach and influence over her.

• Members

Tori felt that the ultimate way to protect Viki was to destroy every part of Victor's legacy. Only when Victor, his reputation, mansion, and his newspaper were gone would Viki would be free.

I really wanted Tori to return one more time, although later writers were terrible at the story. Still, I think she would have done her best to excise toxic waste like Todd from Viki's life.

• Members

I never got a chance to really see the full 95' storyline so I just know bits and pieces about each alter. I was under the impression Tori was an unstable woman who tended to be really damaging in Viki's life, including burning down her house and nearly letting Jessica die in the fire. I was just under the impression that each alter was created to protect the host or main personality, that's why I never got why Princess existed. I guess she could manifest herself and immerse herself in innocence/ignorance about what happened to her but still it seems quite dangerous for Viki to turn into Princess if she needs to deal with something that is threatening or endangering her -- I would imagine Niki, Tori, Jean and even Tommy would all be better alters to protect her.

Archived