The Madonna Thread

YRBB

• Members

The nudity is only in the opening really, but I remember how hyped that aspect of the show is. (I suppose no other mainstream act has done a tour with nudity...)

I'd never seen that Don't Cry bit--wow! It's no secret she had been trying to get herself into the role for a VERY long time--I admit, some vocals aside, she really did do her best film work in it, partly I think as it's basically one long music video and while Madonna seems barely able to act while speaking, she can do it while singing.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Bad Girl SNL performance from 1993 is is great in a subtle way.

There was a period between Erotica and Ray of Light where she would release some non-commercial singles and didn't care how well they performed in the US.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sCnNb41UoE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I'm currently reading "Madonna: An Intimate Biography" and the sexual attack references are a lot different than the Wiki one...

Madonna also has a long, long history of serious flower-hating. When she was a very small child, a 2-year old neighbor went over to her with a daffodil as a sort of "lets be friends" gift. She knocked the poor kids a-- down because she hates daffodils.

Interesting read so far. One thing is evident from every source the author mentions so far, she had A LOT of anger towards her father after he remarried that never really left throughout her childhood into early adulthood. She felt he replaced her mother, and [Madonna] herself. I'm rolling my eyes when he's detailing some stuff though because he doesn't reference a source - such as the FIRST meeting with the president of Argentina concerning Evita. Yet it's as if he's in the room witnessing this all. Well, I think he references a person or two who was at the meeting, but still...

EricM, I think the really good performance in Evita was a several fold thing... I think Madonna plays characters she identifies with or "is" well. For some people Evita was opportunisitic and manipulative, for some she was the ultimate hero. Madonna sort of has that complex, she wants to be or thinks she is a hero but she also is full of this opportunistic and manipulative side in her issues with over-achievement. Then I think some of it was her own mother dying around the same age. I feel like she probably put herself in her mother's shoes. I do agree that Madonna performs well in her videos as opposed to movies which is just odd. I guess she tends to identify with music she helps write more than she does with roles when she actually has to play somebody different than herself.

Indeed.

In the last decade, I haven't been into Madonna's music as much as I was in the 80s and 90s - so I've been watching some of her 2000s videos. First, is it wrong that I think Revolver is great? LOL, it's very, very conceited (my sex is a killer, do you want to die happy?) but I love the sound of it. Die Another Day, I love the video for this:

• Members

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tEItzaWmSwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love this video and song. It was only released in the UK/Europe, and there was a mini controversy at the time in the UK, as many thought it referenced Princess Diana's demise, but the premise was actually a day in Madonna's life.

• Members

I was looking for the Prince/Madonna award clip which I'd seen before but I never realized this part: The AMA's having categories such as "Favorite BLACK single," "Favorite BLACK album" That just sounds so, so, so, so wrong. It's odd people weren't offended about it. Maybe they were. IDK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KZOGPkbNCc

Madonna/Prince "Love Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAIWd3Bul5M

ETA:

When did George Michael officially come out of the closet? I remember there being some public bathroom incident not too long ago. Okay, long ago but not that long ago.

• Members

This is from MTV Europe, I believe.

But MTV US used to be famous for their Madonna Weekends during the 80's and early to mid 90's before they abandoned music altogether. It's where a lot of us who were maybe too young to fully remember and appreciate her early stuff got well acquainted with her discography/videography.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hoExOpn5l6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also love this Year in Rock 1990 clip, this was the year that solidified her as a permanent pop cultural icon.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YH5Wpcdn3Ec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Thanks for finding all this. I mostly remember that era of MTV for Remote Control and Liquid Television, but I do remember what a presence Madonna was. There was a certain level of respect on the channel at that time, along with the playfulness.