The Madonna Thread

YRBB

• Members

There's a "Roundup" question in a 1993 SOD which asks soap actors if they are sick of Madonna. It's kind of amusing seeing random soap actors give their views on her, including some who are randomly back on soaps (like Patrick Muldoon). I guess it's an example of just how pervasive she was at that time.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Toy Soldiers, another oldie but goodie. The singing public doesn't make music like pre-1995 anymore. They really don't.

Dear Jessie was so unusual for her too, and so different from most of this album. I think it's a great happy song.

No question.

I've read up on FD/Madonna/Michael. She tracked him down when she was coming up and got him away from Michael Jackson.

Evita still makes me cry. I remember getting it on video tape as soon as it went to video, lol. WTF whipped her into this acting condition? She should have kept their name. Antonio was great, great in the second clip here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-l9aluDKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkI0zhM6TE

• Members

To be fair, Prince never gave his best material to other artists, lol. Sinead simply covered Nothing Compares 2 U, as Prince had recorded it before.

He did play the guitar rift on Like A Prayer (the song) though.

Til Death Due Us Part might well be Madonna's best song that was not a single.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/feQXMGG0vpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

The imagery in Oh Father, just damn... The mother in the coffin with the mouth sealed. I initially thought it was about spousal and/or sexual abuse. Then I thought maybe it's about the church. But over time realized it's her very autobiographical interpretation of her childhood thru Sean Penn. She doesn't feel her father abused her, but that he changed while her mother was dying and after she died, that pushed her away, and some of that allowed herself to open herself to being abused. In the end though she forgives her father. Great stuff.

The switch from the father being "abusive" to the husband slapping her, perfect in terms of the chain of abuse.

• Members

Sorry, see that you posted this already. LOL!

Sorry to hear this album reflected parts of your life. sad.png

It's a pretty dark album overall, but definitely her best and most critically acclaimed work.

I'll never forget this Promise To try montage on Truth or Dare, which Julie Brown later parodied.laugh.png

Julie Brown did some of the best Madonna parodies.

The audio is pretty bad in this clip and makes her voice sound extra thin, but here it is:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/msaMmFkQAsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

This is a completely personal take and deals with things I've had a lot of (maybe too much) therapy about, but I do think it's about sexual abuse, and I think Madonna was abused--partly in the ways she's "acted out" and some of her lyrical content. But it's an amazing video and Fincher really was her best director, if not the best director of videos in general (the way he filmed dance--even in the rip off/homage to Fosse's All That Jazz with Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake is second to none and I've heard he was angry at Madonna for not championing him as a director for Evita).

• Members

This cracks me up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medusa:_Dare_to_Be_Truthful

Shortly after seeing the film, Madonna sent over a half-finished bottle of warm champagne as a dubious gift, to salute Brown's deadpan impersonation. Brown's reaction upon receiving the gift was surprising: “ "It was really expensive champagne, but it had Madonna spit in it!"

According to Brown, she drank the bottle.

• Members

I posted the studio version back a couple of pages in here. It's a beautiful song.

Julie Brown was indeed the best non-Madonna eva, lol. It's been so long since I've heard her name.

I still like the documentary, but indeed...

I don't disagree. I do think she must have had some really fundamental issues with the men in her life, those close and those she didn't know (the assault she says happened). It's the same way I would feel about a man if he was being a little too volatile or too contolling towards women in his work too. It's very much "I will never be dominated by a man."

I do think like with a lot of her videos, she leaves it a bit ambig for the viewer to take their own message.

As a child for me, my first thought was sexual abuse when watching this video. Either by the father or from a father in the church. In terms of sexual abuse, I thought the mothers lip sewn together was a way of showing her silenced about the abuse. Then, for me, it became about a total screw-up of a father and its effect on the children. Me and my sister discussed the video years later and were like "that's the song of our childhood." It's just later on I learned Madonna and her older brother got to see their mother in her coffin and her mouth was sewn like that so my initial interps changed and I began seeing it differently, more from the father/daughter strained relationship dynamics.

I didn't love Madonna's studio version of DCFMA. It's really been done better. For me, this Spanish woman - Paloma San Basilio - sings it best. (Yes better than PL). I loved the remix though. I also loved Madonna's talking-singing performance of it in the movie. I think her performance of it here has the passion in it that it lacks in the actual released single and video.