The Madonna Thread

YRBB

• Members

I love her new song, it is so damn catchy :)

The Superbowl halftime show was WONDERFUL. Highly entertaining, energetic, great music, just awesome.

Most everyone in my circle of friends via Facebook loved it, except for the occasional few who insist on making it a Madonna vs. Lady Gaga war. There IS no war, expect in the minds of some Gaga fans.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was sure I hated the new song until I heard it at the Super Bowl. I really liked the sound of it during the Super Bowl. I've watched the half-time show four times already and I still like it. I'm looking forward to hearing it on the radio again. Until now, I've been changing the station when it comes on because of the self-importance in it ("Madonna, Madonna," lol).

I was also shocked that my favorite part of the performance was when Madonna was singing without help (I'd put money on "Like a Prayer" being completely her doing it there and then without the lip sync or much backup track), she wasn't anywhere near as poor at it as I remember from old clips. She was pretty good.

TV Line

After 2011′s “Black-Eyed Peas in Christmas Lights” Extravaganza, this year’s Super Bowl halftime show had nowhere to go but up. Or did it?

For Super Bowl XLVI, pop music’s longest-reigning provocateur, Madonna, took over as master of ceremonies, and if I’m being honest, the results were electrifying. I’m not sure how much of the singing was live, but the choreography and spectacle of it all were stellar, and yoga’s never had a better champion.

Her Madgesty entered via gladiator-drawn chariot to the opening snaps of “Vogue,” wearing a gold sequined robe that she quickly shed in favor of a black gladiatrix miniskirt, thigh-high boots, and gold headdress. (Leave it to Madonna to break the nation’s football-fueled reverie with a ditty about a style of dance popularized in gay club culture.)

After some energetic posing and a danceoff with a futuristic Cupid type, Madonna easily segued into one of her all-time greatest singles, “Music,” bouncing up and down a set of makeshift bleachers flanked by b-boys in Adidas tracksuits. There was a weird interlude where NBC’s camera crew threatened to upstage the main act by lingering on an Afro-sporting foolio doing a jig on a tightrope, but Madonna threw in a series of rapid-fire squats on a rising platform that returned the attention to where it belonged.

The next 30 seconds or so went to a collaboration (and some awkward calisthenics) with LMFAO that had too much “Party Rock,” and not enough “Sexy and I Know It,” but was nevertheless entertaining. Yet it was all more or less a bridge to the Material Girl’s saucy new single “Give Me All Your Lovin’,” complete with cheerleading costumes, pom-poms, a drumline, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A., and some mesmerizing leg-ography. The message seemed to be clear: Radio needs more fiftysomething fierceness. Respeck. Booyakasha.

The set ended with the appearance of Cee Lo Green, tiny snippets of “Open Your Heart” and (swoon) “Express Yourself,” and then the sounds of a Gospel chorus leading into “Like a Prayer.” (Breathe easy, FCC hotline: No religious statues were used sacrilegiously in the making of this halftime show.) Madonna and the Voice mentor were lifted skyward on a platform as they delivered the rousing anthem while clad in black sequined choir robes, and suddenly a map of the world (or a Risk boardgame) lit up on the field below them. Madge took one last swing at the chorus — actually singing live (and well), I believe — and then was swallowed whole by Lost‘s Smoke Monster, while the phrase “World Peace” appeared on the ground of the stadium.

All in all, I’d say this is the happiest and least self-important Madonna we’ve seen in a decade or two, and while there were definitely portions of this stadium performance that were lipsycned (or aided by a backing track), I’d still say the old gal delivered the kind of spectacular spectacular that could be studied by future generations in How to Rock a Halftime Show 101. Experience, 1; youth, 0. Then again, this could just be the rantings of a guy who still owns Madonna’s self-titled debut on casette tape.

• Members

Except that's not why your going. You can say it's all about the music but that's not why you are there. You are going to the concert to see the person live. You are going to see a "larger then life popstar/rockstar/artist, live in person." That is why those ticket prices cost so much and why people spend upwards of $300 dollars for a front row standing admission ticket. It's a celebrity appearance/citing first of all. Again people aren't going to a Madonna concert to see her sing, she's a poor live singer even on her best of days. You are going to see Madonna because you want to see the woman who has changed the landscape of pop music and who has persisted in pop culture for nearly 30 years. You are paying for the spectacle and the perfection of it all and if pre-recorded vocals gives it that kind of atmosphere of grandness who cares? Especially when you know and recognize the fact that it's her voice that produced said vocal?

Ultimately the reason you are going to see these singers/performers/entertainers/artists and pay big money for them remains the same. You are going first and foremost to see them. Be in the same arena/room/stadium as them and watch them do what you like watching them do sometimes sing, sometimes dance, sometimes both, sometimes play an instrument, etc. I don't even understand this lip syncing argument especially for artists who make it known that their main focus is not singing. I could maybe understand it for the major vocalists to an extent because their voices are the reasons they are popular but others who make it known that they don't focus on singing it's ridiculous. I won't get into the fact that nearly all of the greats at one point have lip synced. Some television shows and special events have even required it. There were several artists back in the 50's, 60's and 70's who had to pre-tape their performances and lip sync to the recorded vocals for their performances because television hosts didn't like giving them the freedom to perform live on air. So the "old times" are no better then the "new times" on that front. Micheal Jackson lip synced a lot during his Dangerous tour because he was very ill and suffered from dehydration, migraines and numerous physical injuries -- is he talentless and useless because he lip synced? I am almost sure most of the general public would disagree with that assessment.

If you care about the art of music and not the entertaining aspect of it there most certainly are musicians and indie artists you could choose to listen to and follow. There are tons of small myspace artists just waiting to perform at their local mom and pop coffee shop for you and serenade you with their songs they spilt blood, tears and sweat over. if you yearn for "true, meaningful music with unaltered vocals and non-commercialized songs" all you have to do is go out and find it. Popular music and the music industry as a whole has and always will be a business about the all mighty dollar. Either embrace that or don't listen to pop music or follow it's huge acts.

This isn't a new phenomenon what so ever. I am sure there were "talentless" pop stars back when you were growing up to. Just like there are "talentless" pop stars now.

Edited by Skin

• Members

Skin... that's why I said it didn't bother me to see lip synch on TV performances, even on the Super bowl last night. TV shows have always been a place where sometimes you hear live, sometimes you hear lip synch. nobody EVER sung live on American Bandstand, but EVERYONE did on the Midnight Special... it just depended on the show, and it's budget. and on TV appearances, many times you are promoting the RECORD, so you lip synch to it, I'm totally ok with that. It's just that other than Milli Vanilli, I've NEVER been to a concert where lip synching went on. This stuff NEVER went on in the 70's and 80's, you'd be crucified in the press and not sell any tickets. and I don't think Madonna sounds all that bad live. she's not fabulous, but she's ok. But then, the live show I've seen her do was almost 20 years ago. But for a peformer to think they can demand a huge price and just their mere "presence" and the light show is worth it... they wouldn't be getting MY money. One of the best shows i've ever seen was Bette Midler, and she sang every single note live AND had a great stage show. You all of the younger generation need to demand more for your money. A good live show should look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETIPZS073Q

And i've seen people today do it the right way... Scissor Sisters for one, Josh Groban for another, Jamiroquai, heck, I don't even think someone like Adele lip synchs. and no, Michael Jackson wasn't talentless because he lip-synched, Michael was working under extenuating circumstances.. but everyone KNOWS he can sing, he's proved himself already over and over. I have a very good friend that saw Florence and the Machine last month she said it was one of the most awesome shows you'd ever see, and again, no lip synching. From last night's performance, I'm sure Kelly Clarkson would give a good liveshow as well. So there are people today doing it right, and that have real talent. Three's just a much higher percentage that doesn't, and that's sad.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Kesha is seriously PHENOMENAL live. I heard her doing sound check and rehearsal, more than once, and shes seriously amazing.

I was bored until LMFAO came on... and her new song is basic,. generic pop. Nothing great, but nothing bad.

As for lip service, I dont mind it at all. I do not go to a Britney Spears show to hear her sing. I go to watch her put on a show, and even at her worst she totally delivers. This last tour actually shocked me at hose much she sang live. Ill never forget for one of her LA shows the review said she didnt utter a single note live and didnt interact with fans and the paper had to print a retraction when video proved otherwise and he admitted he didnt even go to the show. Anyways, There is a difference between going to see a Britney/kesha/Katy concert and going to hear someone sing. If i went to see like Elton John or Rob Thomas, id be pissed at lip singing.

• Members

This is pretty much the way I feel about it. If they are advertised as amazing singers and they lip it's worse to me then if they are advertised as performers/entertainers/dancers and they lip sync.

Santana for instance doesn't sing a word in his concerts and just plays the guitar and people come out in droves to see him. Different expectations for different artists/performance styles. They are all valid.

Edited by Skin

• Members

Soapsuds, I absolutely love that song. Sean Penn and Madonna, I guess they were the Chris Brown and Rihanna of their time except with a marriage certificate.

73682_sean-penn-and-madonna-chat-with-reporters-prior-to-the-screening-of-his-movie-at-close-range-in-los-.jpg

I feel old for remembering the news stories about the car incident

1988:

PEOPLE Magazine, 1987

According to a close associate of Madonna's, the singer always had trouble with Sean's unpredictable outbursts and sought psychiatric help for herself soon after the wedding. Some of her friends urged her to persuade Penn to get professional help, but it's not known whether he did. Later he was forced into therapy by court order. Madonna's associate adds that many of the singer's closest friends disliked Sean. They saw him as spoiled and immature and were amazed by his drinking and temper tantrums.

The world soon shared their amazement. As the months went by, Penn seemed increasingly out of control. A chronology of early, early major bouts:

•June 1985: While in Nashville, he hurls a rock at a photographer, camera-whips him, then punches out a reporter.

•April 1986: In an L.A. nightclub, Penn sees songwriter David Wolinski bussing Madonna, an old acquaintance, and savagely attacks with fists, feet and a chair. He's fined $1,000 and gets a year's probation. "The marriage had been undergoing stress all the time," says a friend of Madonna's, "but this was the first major stress, the first really traumatic episode for her. Wolinski was someone she knew, and it really shook her up."

•August 1986: Sean and Madonna are accosted by paparazzi outside their Central Park West apartment. Penn baptizes one photog, Anthony Savignano, with saliva. Savignano shoves him. Penn socks him and a fellow photographer, Vinnie Zuffante.

By now, Madonna was spending less and less time with Sean at close range. "It didn't seem like they got along," says Madonna's great-aunt, Elsie For-tin, of Bay City, Mich., a matriarch of the Ciccione clan. "If you can't get along, why prolong the agony?" What was the couple's main problem? "I'd say Penn was insanely jealous of her." Penn had displayed a strong possessive streak even before Madonna. "I saw him on the set of Racing With the Moon," says one source, of the 1984 film Sean made with then-girlfriend Elizabeth McGovern. "A male reporter was sitting with McGovern in her trailer. When Penn found out about it, he threw a tantrum. He went over to the trailer and started rocking it. I don't think it was because he was afraid of McGovern saying anything about him. I think he was upset because there was a man in her trailer."

Marriage did nothing to change Penn. The David Wolinski incident bears this out. So does the Nick Ka-men episode. A singer-model, Kamen was recording "Each Time You Break My Heart" with Madonna, and the fact that they were working together, says one source, "made Sean wildly jealous." Despite some vigorous protests to the contrary from Madonna, Penn refused to believe that she and Kamen weren't having an affair. "Sean caused a lot of problems in the studio," says the source.

"Sean has a lot of insecurities," says another source. But he isn't alone in that respect. "I have my insecure moments," Madonna admitted at one point during the relationship, "and that puts a lot of strain on people. You take things out on the person you love, and that causes fights, alienation, grief, shrink sessions and a lot of ca-ca." Penn's camp agrees. "The divorce is not all his fault," says one of his associates. "If that's the story you're getting, you're getting it wrong."

Whoever was responsible, the marriage was coming apart bit by bit. A few more entries in the log:

•April 1987: While making Colors, a movie in which he plays a cop, Penn assaults Jeffrie Klein, an extra who is trying to snap some candids of the star. The attack is a violation of Penn's probation for the Wolinski incident.

•May 1987: The LAPD picks Penn up for speeding and running a red light. An alcohol content of .011, just above the legal limit, is found in his blood. The charge is reduced to reckless driving, but it's another probation violation.

•June 1987: Because of the twin offenses, Sean is sentenced to 60 days in the pen. In a move that raises questions about preferential treatment, he eventually serves five, leaves to make a movie in West Germany, returns to serve another 28 and gets the rest of the time off for good behavior.

Ironic, that, because more and more, Sean's well-deserved reputation for less-than-sterling behavior preceded him. "I understand what Sean has gone through," says his friend Judd (The Billionaire Boys Club) Nelson. "It's tough on him, and it's gotta be tough on his marriage. We've both had people follow us on the street and say, 'Hey, man, come on and hit me.' It's like this big snowballing effect."

While Sean was serving his time, Madonna was putting on a hopeful face. "I think Sean will emerge from jail as a better person," she said, "and as an even greater actor." A fitting remark from the woman who sang True Blue. Apparently a total of 33 days in jail didn't do much in the way of character rehabilitation. Après prison, while the couple were spending time together in L.A. after his mid-September release, a friend of Madonna's suggested a separation might be good for her. "We're separated all the time," replied Madonna, "and that doesn't make it any better."

Things came to a head Thanksgiving week. According to the first published report of the split, from gossip columnist Liz Smith, Madonna was steamed because Sean had gone four days without contacting her, then suddenly showed up in their New York apartment expecting Thanksgiving dinner. Instead of serving turkey, she served him divorce papers. But both Penn's and Madonna's publicists say that story isn't true. "The decision was mutual," says Penn's person, Lois Smith. "The thing about him disappearing for four days is nonsense."

"There was no one direct incident leading up to this," says Madonna's Liz Rosenberg. "It was a series of cumulative pressures. There were many moments in their marriage when it was shaky, and Madonna was finally forced to face the reality of the situation—that they weren't happy together." The papers, adds Rosenberg, weren't served on Thanksgiving: Madonna didn't start divorce discussions with her attorney until the following week.

Sean Penn discussing the marriage years later:

"Promise to Try" didn't get much love or play but it's also a really beautiful ballad...

Full studio version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-VrTKDiSk

This is the only Madonna song I currently have on my MP3....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQeLJUK0Uk

• Members

Material, material... This is taking me back to being a kid and waiting for the latest Madonna or Michael Jackson song/video to come out on MTV. Those used to be such huge events.

That is another one I liked that never got much air-play,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvtx--dpjN4

A top 100 song list for "Her Madgesty"

http://www.afterelto...ongs?page=0%2C4

1. “Vogue” from I’m Breathless

Could there be any doubt? Vogueing is the perfect dance extension of Madonna as a pop culture entity: It’s self-presentational, winkingly narcissistic, actually narcissistic, a showcase of agility, funny, righteous, and fabulous. The song “Vogue,” meanwhile, is about Madonna’s two favorite things: self-expression and superstardom.

Whether you’re Joe nobody or Joe DiMaggio, you should be demanding attention – mainly from yourself. “Vogue” is Madonna’s greatest moment, the definitive ‘90s dance anthem, and a towering gay phenomenon that couldn’t be more ferocious or fun.

ETA:

I'm googling the night away...

http://entertainment...pular-songs.htm

This fiery, petite Italian-American was born in 1958 in Bay City, Michigan. From the start, Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone had big dreams, and at 19 she moved to New York City where she began to make a name for herself as a singer and dancer.

Selling more than 200 million albums in a career that has spanned more than two decades, "Madge" has stayed on top by constantly reinventing herself. Though many disagree with some of her artistic choices, the numbers don't lie: Billboard magazine reports that Madonna's 2006 Confessions tour was the most successful concert tour by a female artist in history.

Here are 25 of the biggest hits that put her on top.

1. "Holiday" (1983)

From her self-titled debut album, "Holiday" was the first of Madonna's songs to make Billboard's Hot 100, peaking at number 16. It is now one of her signature songs.

2. "Borderline" (1984)

Madge's second single broke the top ten on U.S. charts, which was impressive for a newcomer. In this video, look for a very young John Leguizamo, who plays a friend of Madonna's boyfriend.

3. "Like a Virgin" (1984)

This song was Madonna's first number one on Billboard's Hot 100, probably due to her legendary appearance at the first-ever MTV Video Music Awards. Rolling around in a wedding dress, Madonna sang this song and cemented a mutually beneficial relationship with music videos.

4. "Material Girl" (1985)

This song, which earned Madonna the moniker "the Material Girl," painted the singer as a girl who would rather have a rich boyfriend than a love-struck one, although it was meant to parody the commercialism and greed of the 1980s. "Material Girl," the second single from Madonna's Like a Virgin album, reached number two on U.S. charts, with the video imitating Marilyn Monroe's famous musical number "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend."

5. "Crazy for You" (1985)

From the soundtrack of the film VisionQuest, "Crazy for You" was Madonna's second number-one song. Madonna makes a cameo in the movie, belting out this tune in a nightclub scene.

6. "Into the Groove" (1985)

Coinciding with her role in the film Desperately Seeking Susan, this popular tune was remixed for use in a 2003 Gap ad starring Madonna and rapper Missy Elliott.

7. "Live to Tell" (1986)

Written and produced by Madonna and longtime collaborator Patrick Leonard, "Live to Tell" is the story of a woman facing a difficult decision. The song was written for the movie At Close Range, starring Sean Penn, Madonna's husband at the time. With this number-one ballad, Madonna emerged as more mature, abandoning the street urchin look for that of a grown-up.

8. "Papa Don't Preach" (1986)

Another one of Madonna's more serious ballads, the song tells the story of a pregnant teen who has decided to have her child and raise it with her boyfriend. You'd think such a heavy topic wouldn't fly as a pop song, but this was another number one for Madonna in the summer of 1986. Groups that had once condemned Madge now commended her for the song's antiabortion theme, although some were concerned that it glorified teen pregnancy.

9. "Open Your Heart" (1986)

In classic Madonna style, "Open Your Heart" was buoyed by a risqué video. In it, Madonna plays an exotic dancer who performs for a room that includes an underage boy. Plenty of people were outraged, but the song was another number-one hit.

10. "Who's That Girl" (1987)

Nominated for a Grammy, "Who's That Girl" sped to number one in the summer of 1987 when it appeared in the movie of the same name, starring Madonna. The movie didn't do so well, but the soundtrack went platinum. Other artists are included on the soundtrack, but this song and another Madonna hit, "Causing a Commotion," were the reasons most people picked it up.

11. "Like a Prayer" (1989)

"Like a Prayer," with its dramatic lyrics and gospel choir backup, is undoubtedly one of Madonna's biggest hits of all time. But the video, complete with burning crosses and Madonna making out with a black saint, was just a tad controversial.

Pepsi had signed a deal to use Madonna and the song for a soda commercial, but they backed out when they saw the scandalous video. Still, the song topped the charts in every major music market in the world, and the video won an MTV Viewers Choice Award, sponsored by -- you guessed it -- Pepsi!

12. "Express Yourself" (1989)

A call to women everywhere to stick up for what they want, "Express Yourself" was a top-five hit around the world, peaking at number two in the States. The notorious conical bra made its debut in the video. Designed by Jean-Paul Gautier, the pink corset with the pointy cups was worn under a black suit in the video and throughout Madonna's Blonde Ambition Tour as well.

13. "Cherish" (1989)

The third hit single off the Like a Prayer juggernaut, "Cherish" is a song that finds Madonna in an innocent frame of mind, singing about the joys of true love. The song reached number two in the States, her seventeenth single to reach the top ten on U.S. charts.

14. "Vogue" (1990)

There have been a few megahit dance crazes in American pop music history: The Twist, The Macarena, and Vogue to name a few. This song, from the Dick Tracy: I'm Breathless soundtrack, featured instructions on "vogue" dancing, an expressive style of dance popular in the underground gay clubs of New York City. Leave it to Madonna to make it a number-one song.

15. "Justify My Love" (1990)

Madge teamed up with songwriters Ingrid Chavez and Lenny Kravitz to pen this steamy song, which became Madonna's ninth number one in the States. The video was so racy, MTV banned it! As a result, the "Justify My Love" video was the first video single ever released and it immediately sold out in stores everywhere.

16. "This Used to Be My Playground" (1992)

Madonna's tenth single to reach number one, this ballad was featured in the movie A League of Their Own. Madonna's performance in the movie was also well received by critics. The song wasn't included on the soundtrack, but it appeared on Madonna's ballad compilation, Something to Remember, released in 1995.

17. "Take a Bow" (1994)

Following the release of her controversial, best-selling book Sex (1992), Madonna experienced sagging chart positions. But "Take a Bow" changed all that. This farewell-to-love tune was a record breaker for Madonna, spending seven weeks at number one on U.S. charts.

18. "Frozen" (1998)

This single, which featured dark themes, eastern instruments, and techno beats, was a huge hit for the recently reinvented Madonna. "Frozen" reached number one or two in most major music markets, foretelling the enormous success of Ray of Light, the album on which it was featured.

19. "Ray of Light" (1998)

This techo-infused dance hit broke a record for Madonna, selling 73,000 singles in the first week of its release. The second track from her Grammy Award-winning album of the same name, "Ray of Light" was a massive club hit that received major remix attention from the most in-demand deejays. The single reached the top ten on charts the world over, peaking at number five in the States.

20. "Beautiful Stranger" (1999)

Another song-from-a-movie hit for Madonna, this bouncy tune was penned by Madonna and Ray of Light album coproducer William Orbit for the second Austin Powers movie, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me. The song reached number 19 in the United States -- even though it was never officially released -- and it garnered the singer another Grammy.

21. "American Pie" (2000)

Don McLean's classic tune got the Madonna treatment for inclusion in the movie The Next Best Thing. The movie flopped, but the song did well -- reaching number one in the U.K., Canada, and Australia, among others. Oddly enough, although the song wasn't released in the States, it reached number 29 off airplay alone.

22. "Music" (2000)

"Music," Madonna's twelfth single to top U.S. charts, was in the running for a Grammy for Record of the Year, but lost to "Beautiful Day" by U2. The video featured Madonna (five months pregnant at the time) and comedy star Sacha Baron Cohen. "Music" has been featured in all of Madonna's shows since its release.

23. "Don't Tell Me" (2000)

When "Don't Tell Me" went gold, Madonna tied The Beatles for second place for the most gold, platinum, or multiplatinum singles -- a total of 24 -- trailing Elvis, who's way ahead of the pack with a whopping 52. "Don't Tell Me" made it to number four on U.S. charts, and the video shows Madge hanging out with cowboys and riding a mechanical bull. Yee-haw!

24. "American Life" (2003)

The first single off her highly criticized album of the same name, "American Life" lambasted the materialistic culture of America and the lack of satisfaction in the face of so much abundance. But Americans weren't ready for a political statement from the woman who used to sing about the joys of sex. This single reached the top ten (and often number-one spot) in much of Europe, as well as Canada and Japan, but only made it to number 37 on U.S. charts.

25. "Hung Up" (2006)

The first single off her album Confessions on a Dance Floor, "Hung Up" included an infectious sample from superstar dance group ABBA. A disco-fied Madonna emerged in this dance hit, signaling the return of the megastar after lukewarm album sales for American Life. "Hung Up" topped the charts in an unprecedented 41 countries, but peaked at number seven in the States.

• Members

There are so many great hits Madonna had back in the day. I also loved Dress You Up and Angel. Floved Secret (the juinor luxcious version).... And This Use to be my playground was a favorite of mine too had the same feel as Live To Tell. Hearing both of those songs gives me chills. I could go on with Lucky Star, Borderline and so many other favorites of mine.