The Madonna Thread

YRBB

• Members

I saw Katy Perry and Ke$ha live this summer, and they are both PHENOMENAL live. I had no idea Katy Perry could sing the way she could. She was honestly very, very good. Same goes for Kesha who has a great voice, though not as good as Katy's.

Kelly Clarkson and Madonna BOTH brought it tonight for their superbowl performances. It was a great game - both the football and the singing

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Entertainment Weekly on the Social Media response to the half time show (I agree. On Twitter, before the half-time show, it was like 1 nice comment for every 25 bad comments, after it nearly flipped):

Madge killed it in her halftime show, even earning love from the hard-to-please and often overly critical social media madding crowd. She looked amazing and belted out classics “Vogue” and “Like a Prayer” alongside her new song “Give Me All Your Luvin’” and 2000′s “Music.” Okay, so she tripped on the bleachers (who wouldn’t in those sky-high boots?), and maybe M.I.A. gave her the finger mid-song (did she or didn’t she?) — and there is a dispute over whether she was lip syncing (was she or wasn’t she?). But Madonna certainly proved her prowess as a professional and a performer, with a clean, solid show featuring old favorites and a new song that has her classic, catchy persona written all over it.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

Madonna was careful, in interviews before the Super Bowl, to say how nervous she was, how no one had to worry about her plotting to incite controversy. But instead of resulting in a cautious, tedious performance, Madonna gave a joyous, unironic, open-hearted one. She deployed guest stars including Cee Lo Green, Nicki Minaj, and M.I.A., but they never stole her glowing spotlight. From her entrance hoisted aloft by Roman-soldier dancers to the massed choir that sent her off, she was both in full command and full of generosity toward her massive audience.

Commencing with a rendition of “Vogue” that used the magazine’s logo as part of the stage set, Madonna offered full-throated vocals coupled with tight choreography. If the visual transitions didn’t have any flow (Roman togas to pulsating stadium-seating steps to space for a tight-rope walker), the songs did. After the cool warm-up of “Vogue,” Madonna moved smoothly into “Music.” There was certain mashing-up of music with LMFAO that didn’t add much to the proceedings. She led into her current single, “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” as a sweet piece of Katy Perry-style pop. It’s not among her best songs, but Madonna rendered the tune with a playful vigor, shaking gold pom-poms with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. Toward the end of the song, a marching band trooped onstage, led by Cee Lo Green as drum major.

Aiming to end on a note of uplift, Madonna and Green donned choir robes and brought forth a large choir for “Like A Prayer.” Singing from a raised platform, Madonna and Green’s voices soared, and just when I thought she was going to ascend to the heavens, she instead descended into… well, not hell — that would have been out of keeping with the mood of this show — but she dropped away in a puff of smoke.

Now the carping will begin in living rooms and throughout the internet: Was she lip-synching? Did she make a few wobbly moves? Was M.I.A. being a naughty girl?

Me, I don’t care. I was happy to see Madonna smiling so much, giving it her all, plugging her product with such gleeful abandon. (Oh, and, right, I almost forgot: WORLD PEACE, people!!) It wasn’t a thrillingly innovative performance, but that’s not what the Super Bowl half-time show is about anyway: It’s a time to hear some hits well-played, with more imagination and energy than, say, the Black-Eyed Peas provided last year. By this measure, Madonna’s Super Bowl performance was a bright delight.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Madonna sidelined sex in favor of spectacle at her Super Bowl half-time show.

Her 12-minute set proved chaste and careful by her younger standards - no hint of nipple-gate, not a whiff of the calculated religious provocations of her live shows.

But it made up for its lack of shock-queen stunts with sheer fun, dazzle and, most of all, wit.

Surely no half-time act in the history of the Super Bowl has had the moxie , or cheek, to open with an army of dancers — dolled up like gladiators from some kitschy sword and sandal epic — parading around before a Romanesque queen (our Maddy) done up in gold.

Not since Liz Taylor appeared in "Cleopatra" has pop culture seen so large-scale a spectacle of camp. That in itself gave Madonna's half time show a subtle underlay of subversion.

She bold-faced it to those in the know it by opening with "Vogue," a song whose inspiration derives wholly from a once deeply closeted, gay black movement founded in Harlem.

The zest and humor of the show only escalated with a re-mixed version of "Music," which featured the cartoon-worthy guys from LMFAO mugging through their usual mock-sexy moves.

Madonna upped the animated quality of the event - and deepened her opportunistic connection to current youth culture - by featuring on her new single ("Give Me All Your Luvin'") the sight gag of the moment: Nicki Minaj.

Her staccato rap, and bombshell figure, added to the sense of the surreal. While another guest rapper M.I.A. got lost in the mix — despite apparently flashing the finger — the song's bubble gum snap held center stage regardless.

Like the song's video, the staging of it featured pom-pom pounding cheerleaders — , in the process swiftly reminding all those football fans who may have momentarily forgotten exactly where they were.

For a third, zany guest, Madonna brought the physically improbable Cee Lo Green to shimmy through "Open Your Heart" (enlivened by a quote from "Express Yourself").

Several vibrant drum lines doubled-up the rhythm. To make sure no one mistook Madonna's accent on the ridiculous for a flip take on the event itself, the star ended the show, all lady-like, with her mock-gospel "Like A Prayer."

It featured Cee-Lo hitting the high notes, the star in reverent black and a final, incoherent message promoting "World Peace."

Madonna-phobes will no doubt carp that, in all likelihood, she lip-synched. Certainly it looked that way. But in a show that's about flash and winks, who cares? She most definitely delivered on the surprise and joy she promised. And so - most assuredly not for the first time in her life - Madonna scored.

NEW YORK TIMES

The bad girl is a grown-up now, like it or not. Madonna, 53, danced her way back toward worldwide visibility Sunday as the halftime attraction for the Super Bowl, with a giant supporting cast — gladiators, acrobats, cheerleaders, drummers, a gospel choir — and a downright benign stance.

She sang about dancing, music, loving and praying, with a little star power on the side. It’s impossible to guess what the Madonna of decades past, fascinated with lust, power, religion and transgression, might have done with this platform. But it’s probably not something the Super Bowl would have booked in the first place.

Madonna has a new album, “MDNA,” coming out next month, her first since “Hard Candy” in 2008. (In 2007, she signed a 10-year partnership with Live Nation reportedly worth $120 million.) A football-themed video clip for her new single, “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” came out Friday, and the song started blasting across the Clear Channel empire of radio stations and billboards worldwide. More than 14 million people were exposed to the song even before the Super Bowl.

For the worldwide audience of her halftime show, Madonna went all out on spectacle; at the Super Bowl, anything less would be dwarfed. She arrived on the field to sing “Vogue” as a gold-robed queen with a platoon of gladiators, dancing on a giant throne and doing precise, right-angle moves amid acrobats from Cirque du Soleil. “Music” brought her to the top of a bleacher-like set surrounded by more acrobatics; soon, she was assisted in cartwheels that had her head-over-heels. The pop duo LMFAO joined her, interspersing their 2011 hit “Party Rock Anthem” and giving Madonna a chance to deliver the line “I’m sexy and I know it” from another LMFAO song.

As a chorus line of cheerleaders filled the stage, Madonna grabbed golden pompoms for “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” which has a handclapping beat reminiscent of Toni Basil’s 1982 “Mickey.” It’s a heavy-handedly self-promoting song — “L-U-V Madonna, Y-O-U you wanna” — that’s second-tier Madonna at best. Guest raps by Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. didn’t make the song’s retro-rock any fresher. But M.I.A. offered the Super Bowl set’s glimmer of transgression: Her verse included half of a four-letter word while she raised her middle finger.

The drum corps appeared, with the singer Cee Lo Green, to back Madonna and Green for snippets of her “Open Your Heart” and “Express Yourself.” Then came the reverence in “Like a Prayer,” a song that has shed any hint of double-entendre it might have had when it was released in 1989. A black-and-white-robed choir joined Green and Madonna, who had gotten herself into a long dress. The stadium flickered with white lights, Green belted like a soul-gospel singer and Madonna beamed, on and off her knees, until she disappeared in a blast of smoke, singing, “I hear you call my name and it feels like home.”

Madonna wasn’t the indefatigable trouper of years past. Though she’s still lithe, she measured her moves, letting her supporting cast offer distractions. As she climbed into the bleachers during “Music,” she missed a step, though she recovered fast. At the Super Bowl, Madonna was the party girl turned regent: a queen on her throne, a homecoming queen strutting in the bleachers, a church singer fronting a choir. At the end, the words World Peace glowed from the field in giant letters. Madonna was proffering virtue.

LA TIMES

To label the selection of Madonna as a halftime performer at the Super Bowl as curious is to neglect the surreal history of what has become one of the year's most discussed 10 minutes of music on American television. From the high-water mark Janet Jackson-Justin Timberlake nip slip to the weird nonsequitur Rolling Stones gig to a children's choir singing "Michael Row the Boat Ashore," the Super Bowl has never been short on ridiculousness.

But all different kinds of musical craziness had nothing on this year's Bridgestone Super Bowl XLVI Halftime Show performance. Madonna was defiantly unconcerned with the more conservative red state wing of the football fan base who'd never be caught dead singing along to one of her songs, and her halftime show was pure spectacle by the Cleopatra of the game.

Think about it. In less than 10 minutes, America watched marching warriors pulling a massive chariot; faux trumpeters announcing the arrival of Madonna; a man name Redfoo with a ridiculously large afro fronting a duo called LMFAO; a polyglot British-Sri Lankan rapper slyly flipping the bird at the camera; a cartoonish multiple-personality Nicki Minaj; and a charismatic Buddha of a singer with a golden voice in one of the best bandleader outfits ever created, to say nothing of his stunning black choir robe.

At the center of it all was Madonna in her element, vogueing with a break-dancing lyre player, riding a bejeweled human serpent, slipping into her best single of the '00s, "Music," dancing near a tightrope walker who did a back flip as she passed, and sitting on Redfoo's shoulders during a mash-up with LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem." We saw Madonna looking absolutely silly as a 53-year-old cheerleader with equally noncheerleaders M.I.A. and rapper Minaj, and, perhaps most improbable of all, Madonna in front of a church choir pretending to be chaste.

In fact, if you break down the show, produced by Stuart Davis (known to dance fans under his moniker Les Rhythmes Digitales), the whole thing was arguably more outrageous than the notorious Jackson nipple shot. Madonna's new album, "MDNA," is a sly reference to the drug Ecstasy; M.I.A.'s father was part of a Sri Lankan rebel group called the Tamil Tigers (once listed as a terrorist group by the State Department); LMFAO is an acronym in text slang for "laughing my ... ass off;" and singer Cee Lo Green hit the big time with a song about a middle-finger kiss-off. In this company, Minaj looked positively PG.

But despite its success AND extravagance, this whole halftime package most of all was little more than an ingeniously well planned — and shockingly transparent — advertisement for "MDNA," and not much more. The rollout for the album began with the announcement that she'd be performing at the Super Bowl and was teased by a music video released Friday for her new single, "Give Me All You're Luvin'," featuring Minaj and with a remix also featuring LMFAO, which, of course, she performed. Talk about marketing to a lot of eyeballs.

But then Madonna is Madonna for a reason. And we saw it firsthand Sunday.

REUTERS

There was exactly one provocative moment during Madonna's Super Bowl halftime show -- and it didn't come courtesy of Madonna.

Instead, it was from British rapper M.I.A., whose middle finger during a guest appearance prompted an apology from NBC. The musical provocateur flipped the bird before the network could catch it, the network said.

M.I.A., like the early Madonna, seems fond of controversy. She has defended the Tamil Tiger rebels in Sri Lanka, where she grew up, though others have denounced them as terrorists. Her 2010 video for the single "Born Free" tried to raise awareness of genocide by imagining a world where redheads are captured and killed.

The only people Madonna was likely to offend Sunday were those who heard her wrong. At one point during "Music," her second song, it sounded like might have said the word "cock." (At least, it sounded that way to those of us who used to think "Scuze me while I kiss this guy" was a line in "Purple Haze.")

A fast rewind confirmed she didn't say the word -- or any others that might get anyone angry. She stuck to the lyrics of "Music," including the line: "Don't think of yesterday and I don't look at the clock."

Yes, clock. She delivered the "ock" part of the word with her typically crisp elocuction.

And that was as close as she got to doing anything nefarious during the halftime show. Her cartwheels briefly revealed the elaborate undergarment under her black skirt, but it was no more revealing than the cheerleading routines she was tweaking. Her tight top left zero risk of a Janet Jackson-like wardrobe malfunction -- and she promised last week that there wouldn't be one.

The show would have gone according to her ambitious plans, without violating the delicate sensibilities of anyone at home. If not for M.I.A.'s gesture.

Madonna was led to the stage by musclebound men dressed like Trojans, wore a Nordic-looking headdress, and also shared the stage with LMFAO, Nicki Minaj (pictured) and, in a nice promotional tie-in for NBC, Cee Lo Green. He's one of the judges on "The Voice," the season 2 premiere of which got the catseat slot right after the game.

Twitter responses were fiercely split, but it's hard to imagine what she could have done differently to win over the non-fans. If you like Madonna, chances are you liked her wild, genre-twisting performance. If you don't, you probably didn't.

There was no arguing with her song selection, including her new "Give Me All Your Luvin" and "Like a Prayer," which featured the obligatory marching band and choir.

• Members

Some of the media is trying to make a big deal about it, but the fact is not that many noticed it or cared about it. MIA is not Janet Jackson and it defintely wasn't a boob slip so hopefully there isn't that big of a deal made with it. Some sections of the media are trying to blow it up. I'm fine with some bitch sticking her middle finger up at me, lol. NBC did their best to cover the finger, they were just a little too late.

• Members

MTV - RATINGS

In the lead-up to Super Bowl XLVI, many worried that Madonna wasn't the ideal candidate to perform at halftime. After all, her audience, which is dominated by women and gay men, differs wildly from that of the NFL and some wondered if that would mean less eye balls would tune in for the Queen of Pop's 12-minute halftime spectacle.

Well, it appears to have had the opposite effect, actually, pulling in viewers who might not otherwise have watched the game and averaging a higher rating than the Super Bowl itself. According to SB Nation, the game averaged an impressive 47.8 rating in the U.S. while Madonna's halftime performance nabbed a 48.3. The game fell only slightly behind last year's record setter, which generated a 47.9 rating, translating to about 111 million viewers, making it the highest-rated Super Bowl in history.

Though this year's game was slightly off that mark, the Washington Post notes that "around the time M.I.A. was flipping off America during Madonna’s halftime show, about 48 percent of the country’s TV homes were tuned in."

As an unabashed Madonna fan, I'm pleased that so many people gave the Queen of Pop a chance. Despite digs that she may have been lip-synching – which, yeah, there was a bit of that, but I think it was part of a backing track balancing act to compensate during moments of complicated choreography and elaborate production, as "Like a Prayer" seemed as live as could be – reviews of the performance have alternated from positive to all-out raves.

"It's Madonna Louise Ciccone's world, we're just living in it," Billboard raved of the performance, which saw Madge joining forces with Cirque du Soleil, her longtime choreographer/creative director Jamie King and multimedia artists from Moment Factory to "imagine" the spectacular show. Entertainment Weekly was even more enthusiastic about the show, writing, "Madonna gave a joyous, unironic, openhearted [performance]. She deployed guest stars including Cee Lo Green, Nicki Minaj, and M.I.A., but they never stole her glowing spotlight. From her entrance hoisted aloft by Roman-soldier dancers to the massed choir that sent her off, she was both in full command and full of generosity toward her massive audience."

ADAGE - SOCIAL MEDIA

4. Madonna's halftime show alone generated more than 862,000 social-media comments; by comparison, Bluefin recorded 966,000 social-media comments for the 2011 Academy Awards. "If the halftime show were its own standalone televised event," Thai said, "it would rank fourth in terms of all-time social-TV events for entertainment. It would trail only the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards, the 2011 American Music Awards and the 2011 Academy Awards."

NEW YORK TIMES

Proving again the appeal of chatting online while watching TV, the tense end of Super Bowl XLVI on Sunday night set a new record for simultaneous Twitter messages.

As the game ended, Twitter counted 12,233 posts per second, the most for any English language event in the six-year

history of the social-networking service. Earlier in the evening, during the halftime performance by Madonna, the site counted 10,245 posts per second.

It is widely recognized in the television industry that Twitter and sites like it act as online water coolers where viewers can comment — and read others’ comments — while they are watching. Accordingly, most of the Super Bowl ads on television had either a Twitter hashtag, a Facebook reference or a Web address.

Previously, Twitter’s record for an English language event had been the Jan. 8 overtime playoff win by the Denver Broncos, led by the quarterback Tim Tebow, when there were 9,402 tweets per second, according to the company....

Last year’s Super Bowl had a peak of 4,064 posts per second — a record at the time.

The data demonstrates the growth in Twitter use, and the increasing comfort people have in this sort of multitasking, even during a nail-biting football game...

• Members

I've said I hate her new song... but the show itself was impressive and well produced. they just didn't need that no talent bitch MIA on it. She's street trash, I don't know who's idea it was to have her on a show like that. I'm not so upset that you had lip synching on TV performances... but when your'e doing a concert tour, that's another story. I am so sad to see the younger posters posters talk about lip synching on tours, and just kind of accepting is as the norm. If I want to play the record and see a lip synch, I'll watch the music video. I just bristle at the lack of talent and subtance in about 80 precent of pop stars recently. when I was a kid, even the most ephemeral of teen idols like Shaun Cassidy could sing live in cocnert and sound GOOD, if you couldn't you couldn't even get your foot in the door.

Edited by alphanguy74