The Madonna Thread

YRBB

• Members

Some of the funniest tweets "dedicated to" Madonna's performance today:

"I have never heard of the Giants or the Patriots before, they must be good if they are opening for Madonna today."

"At her #SuperBowl halftime show, Madonna will give us a sneak preview of Lady Gaga's halftime show in 2032.' '

"My Super Bowl prediction: Giants win when Patriot offense more out of sync than Madonna’s lips at halftime! "

"Of course Madonna is doing the Super Bowl. She'll do anything younger than her."

"My idea of a Super Bowl is a toilet that cleans itself! Happy #Madonna Bowl!" - RuPaul

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She's under Live Nation technically. She just shopped her record out to Interscope to release it/back it. She doesn't really have a deal with them. They receive proceeds from the album sales, singles sales, rights, etc. while Live Nation gets money from her tour. She will do this for all of her future albums until her Live Nation deal is up in 10 years or so. I doubt Madonna wants to be shackled to a record label like she was with Warner Bros. for years. During her last few album releases she was very unhappy with them.

I don't mind Madonna making fun, uptempo dance music. I loved Confessions on a Dancefloor. However when she is teaming up with the likes of Timbaland, MIA, Nicki Minaj and Justin Timberlake to get a hit I think that reeks of desperation to stay relevant. Which is appropriate, considering the last time Madonna had a solo hit was back in 2005 -- she hasn't had a solo radio hit in even longer.

Again I don't think her overt sexiness is a problem either. It's the fact that she is blatantly producing poor quality pop tracks that women in their 20's and 30's are singing. To be honest Katy Perry could be singing this song and that's the problem. Madonna always did it her way, now she is following the very people she paved the way for. How the mighty have fallen. Age is kind to no one.

She's lipsynced a fair deal and has gone under fire from it from many publications (the UK has been her harshest critics in this department) so the comments are warranted. She will likely lip sync at the Superbowl too.

No. The Britney fan in me rebels.

• Members

Having been to her past 3 tours, I can tell you that only 10% of her shows are lipsynched. The majority of her songs are a mixture of live/pre-recorded vocals. Anyone who has seen her show live can attest to this.

Every pop artist lipsyncs, but she's done it much less that other dance/pop acts in her category.

For the Super Bowl performance, Vogue was clearly lipped, but the others were partly live and partly pre-recorded.

When you consider that she's over 50 and sings a good amount of her songs live with choreography, those who are younger like Britney and lipsync 90% of their shows with basic choreography have no excuse.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

That is still considered by and large to be lip syncing. Any time when an artist isn't singing the entire song live and has a heavy back track, pre-recorded live vocals, has their cd playing in the background or has their mic lowered to hear the other non-live vocals is essentially "lip syncing". I more or less don't care about lip syncing as long as it's the singers own voice that is being used. Even if a pop artist only lip syncs one time they can still be criticized for lip syncing. Once you put black into white you will always get grey. No matter how much white you put back into it.

I don't understand the criticism of lip syncing anyway. Everyone will do it at some point in their career. Even great vocalists like Mariah, Whitney and others have had to lip sync at major events and some of those are considered to be their best vocal performances ever (Whitney Houston's National Anthem was lipped). I only care if a person can put on an amazing show, people who see Madonna aren't going to see her sing anyway. They are going to see an amazing show and see a woman who has stayed relevant in pop culture for 30 years.

Britney actually has been singing more live on her most recent tour specifically because she cut down her choreography. This being said artists who aren't known specifically for their voices will always be targets for lip syncing criticism.

• Members

I didn't know that, the Whitney part. Whatever the case, that was amazing.

I don't have a problem with lip syncing either unless you do it all the time. I wouldn't blame anybody for lipping it during an event like the Super Bowl.

Madonna was great tonight. Seemed like a mix of live and lip (mostly lip). Great performance. "Like a Prayer" ruled. I'm shocked that her new song was my second favorite sound of the night.