ALL: Soap Stars - Where are they now?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There were multiple rumors. That either he or Kim didn't want him taking on a gay role. That it was developing into a bigger role than he initially committed to. That he needed to concentrate on school. That he was concentrating on his music.

I think Zim repeatedly said it was his schooling. I gotta kinda wonder why she allowed him to audition for the role in the first place. She had to know being the son of the show's leading heroine (arguably) meant a significant amount of airtime. I also kind of think her contract was coming up, and she knew it wasn't going to be pretty. She might not have wanted him to be caught in the middle.

• Members

Kim went on about this at length in her book, saying it had nothing to do with the role but more his schooling. She could've been bullshitting, but I don't see her being a homophobe after all her years in the business. I do think it's possible she didn't want a target put on his back for playing the gay kid.

• Members

I don't think there's reason to believe otherwise. When he was cast, he and the role was only 14-15 years old; still not quite ready for heavy teen drama. At the time he was cast, the plans for a frontburner storyline (gay or otherwise) was probably not brought to the table. 

• Members

I don't think it makes her a homophobe if she thinks her 15yr old isn't ready for that kind of role. But I also don't think it was all about Jake and his schoolwork. And given the way P&G whored out Luke as their banner-waving gay....it was probably for the best Jake left and didn't have to deal with all the BS that came of the role. I mean, Van Hansis was 9 yrs older and at times seemed overwhelmed by the "everything else" that came with it.

• Members

I have two theories regarding Josh Kelly's sudden weight gain:

1) He thought it would fit his character and whatever emotional journey he's on for season two.  (I don't watch "UnReal," but judging from what I have read (including the New Yorker article) it does seem as if his character is in a very dark place at the present, given the implosion of his relationship with Shirl Appleby's character, as well as the round-the-clock drama from working on a reality show.)

2) There are very real issues between Kelly and Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, who CLEARLY doesn't want him on her show; and Kelly's way of coping with that stress was to eat...and eat...and eat.

And of course, there's also --

3) Smoking marijuana makes one very, very hungry.

Either way, I think Kelly called it on that violent scene which the New Yorker writer relates toward the end of the piece.  I mean, if THAT isn't a way to get audiences and the higher-ups to turn against a character....

• Members

I don't have my iPad in front of me, but the way I remember it she claims there were indeed plans in the offing for Luke to be gay and for his airtime to be ramped up as a result. IIRC, Zimmer said she didn't want his whole life to becoming acting at such a young age and pulled him out. Later, of course, Jake Weary went on to a busy career in a ton of movies and TV (including the great It Follows) and I think he's now playing gay on the TNT adaptation of Animal Kingdom.

I believe she claims it had nothing to do with the storyline, though I wouldn't be surprised or hold it against her if, in 2005 or whenever, Kim Zimmer did not want her young son to become a target for bigots in the audience.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I think it's number two. They've made the character a real ass this season. It makes sense to hear that TPTB behind the scenes are purposely trying to get the audience to hate him. When the show began, he was promoted as the "hunk," used in the promos showing him completely nude, save for a large sign over his crotch. This season, "Chet" is actually looking hotter than him! Yikes... 

P.S. I think there needs to be an "UnReal" discussion thread in Primetime.... :) 

• Members

I agree with all of the above. Kim Zimmer the Homophobe never added up to me.

I googled pics to see what JW's looking like nowadays, and he's matured quite nicely. I'm not gonna lie, I crushed hard as hell for him when he was on ATWT. Animal Kingdom is another show I have to give a try, especially since it's still early in the run and with those Shameless names on its crew list.

Edited by All My Shadows