Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

2011 Film Awards Thread

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

And the academy doesnt care about reviews? since when?!

I'm not sure they ever have, at least not in recent years. It's about pressure campaigns from the Weinsteins and others, and about trying to get attention and not being seen as out of touch.

Bridesmaids may be a great movie, but I don't think it matters to them. I'm half-surprised they didn't try to nominate Hangover 2.

If the Academy didn't care about reviews and went for, let's say, box office, then the Artist would be shut out. As would most previous winners for best picture and films that won for best acting.

The Artist is controversy (thanks to Kim Novak) as well as something which is different. They always have a balance - in recent years they've moved more towards people-pleaser movies along with artistic stuff. I've seen more than a few mixed reviews for The Artist, as well as things like My Weekend With Marilyn, but this is what gets attention or has powerful backing.

Edited by CarlD2, 24 January 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#22 CassieFan

CassieFan

Globo Fan

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Bridesmaids was BY FAR one of the best comedies in decades.

The Help did not deserve a nomination, vut VD & OS sure did! They were splended.

Very happy for Pitt, Hill and Moneyball. Fantastic, fantastic film. The actors became their roles. Very well deserved.

Upset that Liz Olsen was not nominated for Martha Marcy May Marlene.

I hope Michelle Williams wins. She was just.. beyond.

Wait, what? Bridesmaids deserved an Oscar nomination for one of the best comedies in decades (?!) yet The Help didn't deserve it all?

What?

Posted Image

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Kristen Wiig, I LOVE Melissa McCharthy, but Bridesmaids was one of the most horrendous movies from last year.

#23 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

Doesn't Wiig play the same character everywhere anyway?

Edited by CarlD2, 24 January 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#24 CassieFan

CassieFan

Globo Fan

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Doesn't Wiig play the same character everywhere anyway?

Yup. Her character on Bridesmaids is maybe a lighter version of her SNL characters.

#25 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

Wait, what? Bridesmaids deserved an Oscar nomination for one of the best comedies in decades (?!) yet The Help didn't deserve it all?

What?

Posted Image

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Kristen Wiig, I LOVE Melissa McCharthy, but Bridesmaids was one of the most horrendous movies from last year.

The Help was a mediocre, at best, film thats been done a ton of times. A white persons ees the wrongs and decides to help another race and gives herself a pat on the back. The performances were AMAZNING. The actress' deserve their nominations, and i wouldnt be upset at all if they won. But The Help itself? No.

As for Bridesmaids, not everyone is going to love it - but clearly a majority do. And not just because its an ok comedy, because its a smart, clever comedy done the right way. People are pressed because it isnt your typical oscar comedy - and i think thats a good thing. In fact, i think it is a great thing.

And Wiig, shes the weakest link.

#26 Skin

Skin

I will remember the real Babe, the ideal flawed good girl

• Members
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

The Help did not deserve a nomination, vut VD & OS sure did! They were splended.

I hope Michelle Williams wins. She was just.. beyond.

I don't see why the Help didn't deserve a nomination over some of these other films. In terms of merit the Help was one of the better lighter films released this year and was pretty enjoyable all around. There are ten spots they need to fill and this was all in all a pretty slow year in regards to quality films with a pretty dead award season to boot. The reason why The Help, Bridesmaids, Midnight In Paris and others got there is because they needed space fillers for those ten spots. It would be so much easier if the Academy shrunk them back to the five spots like they did before. Most of these lighter films have no chance in hell of winning.

As to Michelle no way she is going to win. She is still too young and she has too few nominations in the Best Actress field she also doesn't have a lot of hype MWWM came and went pretty quickly. Viola, Glenn and Meryl probably all have better chances at winning then she does but Viola is definitely the one to beat. It would be interesting to see if that changes in a month.

I'm not sure they ever have, at least not in recent years. It's about pressure campaigns from the Weinsteins and others, and about trying to get attention and not being seen as out of touch.

This has merit but to say that reception has no recognition to the Academy is inaccurate. A lot of films die pretty early in the campaign season if critics find the work in question bad or middling, for example look at what happened to Gosling and his two pet projects last year. Both Drive and March were supposed to be his break through films in regards to getting him that Best Actor trophy and he is nowhere to be found months later.

Edited by Skin, 24 January 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#27 CassieFan

CassieFan

Globo Fan

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

The Help was a mediocre, at best, film thats been done a ton of times. A white persons ees the wrongs and decides to help another race and gives herself a pat on the back. The performances were AMAZNING. The actress' deserve their nominations, and i wouldnt be upset at all if they won. But The Help itself? No.

As for Bridesmaids, not everyone is going to love it - but clearly a majority do. And not just because its an ok comedy, because its a smart, clever comedy done the right way. People are pressed because it isnt your typical oscar comedy - and i think thats a good thing. In fact, i think it is a great thing.

And Wiig, shes the weakest link.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. I don't think Bridesmaids was smart, clever at all. The Hangover for chicks. Not even original.

#28 Mr. Vixen

Mr. Vixen

Best Actress

• Members
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

Sandra Bullock was robbed. I thought Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was a fantastic movie. But even for those that didn't like the movie, I don't know how anyone could deny that Sandra gave the performance of a lifetime. She moved me to tears every time she was on screen. I'm very disappointed.

The Help deserved a nomination. I love you JP, but I think you're the only person in the world that saw that movie and didn't love it.

#29 Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

CHARITY - The last BITCH left standing!

• Members
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

My officical snubs list: Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, Kirsten Dunst, Meloncholia, Shailene Woodley (I've never seen her TV show, but I loved that the girl from the Teenage show got a GG nomination. Though I wouldn't want her to win, seeing her nommed here as well would have been brilliant). Also, I'm not some super fan of his by any means, but the Academy really despises Leonardo DiCaprio, eh? While the overrated and disgustingly pandered George Clooney gets undeserved nomination after underserved nomination. And sadly, the amazing Ryan Gosling, who I am a huge fan of, is joining the ranks of those the Academy hates along with one of my other absolute favourite actresses: Julianne Moore. Posted Image

Now, here is who I want to win:

Best Picture
The Artist

Best Director
Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Best Actor
Jean Dujardin, The Artist

Best Actress
Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn

Best Supporting Actor
Jonah Hill, Moneyball (I haven't seen the movie, so my opinion is not based on his performance in any way, but Jonah Hill winning would be such a hilarious WTF! The guy from Superbad an Oscar winner ... but hey, they did give one to Sandra Bullock, so ...)

Nick Nolte, Warrior - Totally the man who deserves it before all else.

Best Supporting Actress
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids (As someone mentioned somewhere else, I like to think she really was nominated for all her work on Gilmore Girls! Plus, it givs me hope that Lauren Graham could one day get some much needed goddamn recognition!)

Best Original Screenplay
Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Best Adapted Screenplay
John Logan, Hugo

Best Foreign Language Film
Monsieur Lazhar (Canada) (I love when my country represents!!!)

Edited by Bright Eyes, 24 January 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#30 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

This has merit but to say that reception has no recognition to the Academy is inaccurate. A lot of films die pretty early in the campaign season if critics find the work in question bad or middling, for example look at what happened to Gosling and his two pet projects last year. Both Drive and March were supposed to be his break through films in regards to getting him that Best Actor trophy and he is nowhere to be found months later.

It's tough for a younger actor to get that recognition, unless it's in a hugely acclaimed film, like Adrien Brody in The Pianist. I am not sure but I think most of the younger men who have been in major contention for Best Actor in recent years have usually been types who aren't mainstream. Gosling has been groomed to take over some type of leading man-but-he-can-act-too role which Clooney or Pitt have held onto for years. They may feel he hasn't paid his dues yet, and his movies weren't popular enough to merit a nomination for him.

Leading men in Hollywood always seem to hang on in these awards long after their popularity or relevancy fades - I've seen more and more open repulsion towards Pitt and Clooney (even at sites like Go Fug Yourself, which once adored Clooney), yet they're still dragged out for nominations.

#31 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

The Help deserved a nomination. I love you JP, but I think you're the only person in the world that saw that movie and didn't love it.

I liked it, i just dont find it Oscar worthy.

And i assure you, i am not the only one.

My officical snubs list: Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, Kirsten Dunst, Meloncholia, Shailene Woodley (I've never seen her TV show, but I loved that the girl from the Teenage show got a GG nomination. Though I wouldn't want her to win, seeing her nommed here as well would have been brilliant).

I agree with these choices.

#32 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,691 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist) won the Directors Guild award.

Screen Actors Guild Awards Winners

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
JEAN DUJARDIN / George – THE ARTIST

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
VIOLA DAVIS / Aibileen Clark – THE HELP

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER / Hal – BEGINNERS

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
OCTAVIA SPENCER / Minny Jackson – THE HELP

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
THE ARTIST
BÉRÉNICE BEJO / Peppy
JAMES CROMWELL / Clifton
JEAN DUJARDIN / George
JOHN GOODMAN / Al Zimmer
PENELOPE ANN MILLER / Doris

#33 Skin

Skin

I will remember the real Babe, the ideal flawed good girl

• Members
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Sandra Bullock was robbed. I thought Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was a fantastic movie. But even for those that didn't like the movie, I don't know how anyone could deny that Sandra gave the performance of a lifetime. She moved me to tears every time she was on screen. I'm very disappointed

She already has an academy award that she doesn't deserve, no need to give her another one. Posted Image

#34 Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

CHARITY - The last BITCH left standing!

• Members
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

She already has an academy award that she doesn't deserve, no need to give her another one. Posted Image

Word.

#35 DAMfan

DAMfan

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

At the 2012 Visual Effects Society (VES) Awards. The annual event recognizes outstanding visual effects artistry in 23 categories of film, animation, television, commercials, special venues and video games.

The complete list of winners of the 10th Annual VES Awards is as follows:
Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Feature Motion Picture
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Dan Lemmon, Joe Letteri, Cyndi Ochs, Kurt Williams
Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Feature Motion Picture
Hugo: Ben Grossmann, Alex Henning, Rob Legato, Karen Murphy
Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature Motion Picture
Rango: Tim Alexander, Hal Hickel, Jacqui Lopez, Katie Lynch
Outstanding Visual Effects in a Broadcast Miniseries, Movie, or Special
Inside the Human Body: Phil Dobree, Sophie Orde, Dan Upton
Outstanding Visual Effects in a Broadcast Series
Terra Nova – Occupation & Resistance: Kevin Blank, Colin Brady, Adica Manis, Jason Zimmerman
Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Broadcast Program
Game of Thrones – Winter is Coming: Lucy Ainsworth-Taylor, Angela Barson, EdBruce, Adam McInnes

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Live Action Commercial
Dior J’adore: Pascal Giroux, Julien Meesters, Stephane Pivron, Manuel Souillac
Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Commercial or Video Game Trailer
Diablo III: The Black Soulstone: Nicholas S. Carpenter, Graham Cunningham, Chris Thunig, Taka Yasuda
Outstanding Visual Effects in a Special Venue Project
Transformers the Ride: The Ultimate 3D Battle: Lori Arnold, Yanick Dusseault, Delio Tramontozzi, Jeff White
Outstanding Animated Character in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
Rise of the Planet of the Apes – Caesar: Daniel Barrett, Florian Fernandez, Matthew Muntean, Eric Reynolds
Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Feature Motion Picture
Rango – Rango: Frank Gravatt, Kevin Martel, Brian Paik, Steve Walton
Outstanding Animated Character in a Broadcast Program or Commercial
Canal + The Bear: Laurent Creusot, Guillaume Ho, Olivier Mitonneau, Michal Nauzin
Outstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
Transformers: Dark of the Moon – 155 Wacker Drive: Giles Hancock, John Hanson, Tom Martinek, Scott Younkin
Outstanding Created Environment in an Animated Feature Motion Picture
Rango – Main Street Dirt: John Bell, Polly Ing, Martin Murphy, Russell Paul
Outstanding Created Environment in a Broadcast Program or Commercial
Game of Thrones – The Icewall: Markus Kuha, Dante Harbridge Robinson, Damien Mac, Fani Vassiadi
Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
Hugo: Martin Chamney, Rob Legato, Adam Watkins, Fabio Zangla
Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in an Animated Feature Motion Picture
Rango – The Dirt Saloon: Colin Benoit, Philippe Rebours, Nelson Sepulveda, Nick Walker
Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a Broadcast Program or Commercial
Gears of War 3 – Dust to Dust: Niles Heckman, Richard Morton, Vernon Wilbert Jr.
At the 2012 Visual Effects Society (VES) Awards. The annual event recognizes outstanding visual effects artistry in 23 categories of film, animation, television, commercials, special venues and video games.

Outstanding Models in a Feature Motion Picture
Transformers: Dark of the Moon – Driller: Tim Brakensiek, Kelvin Chu, David Fogler, Rene Garcia
Outstanding Models in a Broadcast Program or Commercial
Boardwalk Empire – Georgia Peaches: Matthew Conner, Eran Dinur, David Reynolds, Szymon Weglarski
Outstanding Compositing in a Feature Motion Picture
Captain America: The First Avenger – Skinny Steve: Casey Allen, Trent Claus, Brian Hajek, Cliff Welsh
Outstanding Compositing in a Broadcast Program or Commercial
Boardwalk Empire – Gimcrack & Bunkum: Anton Dawson. Eran Dinur, Austin Meyers, David Reynolds
Outstanding Visual Effects in a Student Project
a.maize: Roman Kaelin, Falko Paeper, Florian Wittmann

visit www.visualeffectssociety.com

#36 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,691 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

BAFTA Winners

BEST FILM: THE ARTIST – Thomas Langmann

LEADING ACTOR: JEAN DUJARDIN – The Artist

LEADING ACTRESS: MERYL STREEP – The Iron Lady

DIRECTOR: THE ARTIST – Michel Hazanavicius

ANIMATED FILM: RANGO – Gore Verbinski

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY – Bridget O’Connor, Peter Straughan

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: THE ARTIST – Michel Hazanavicius

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: OCTAVIA SPENCER – The Help

SUPPORTING ACTOR: CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER – Beginners

WGA Awards Winners

Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants (Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash)

Original Screenplay: Midnight In Paris (Woody Allen)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users