2011 Film Awards Thread

Toups

• Members

Did you even see Bridesmaids? It was one of the best reviewed movies of the year.

I'm baffled that Extremely Loud... got a nomination considering it's been universally ignored by awards so far, and by Jonah Hill's nomination over Albert Brooks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bridesmaids was BY FAR one of the best comedies in decades.

The Help did not deserve a nomination, vut VD & OS sure did! They were splended.

Very happy for Pitt, Hill and Moneyball. Fantastic, fantastic film. The actors became their roles. Very well deserved.

Upset that Liz Olsen was not nominated for Martha Marcy May Marlene.

I hope Michelle Williams wins. She was just.. beyond.

• Members

Most of the focus on Bridesmaids was now women can fart and burp like men - that seemed to be all anyone noticed. That's why I think it mostly got a nomination on wanting to be seen as current/hip. The Academy doesn't care about reviews.

• Members

I'm not sure they ever have, at least not in recent years. It's about pressure campaigns from the Weinsteins and others, and about trying to get attention and not being seen as out of touch.

Bridesmaids may be a great movie, but I don't think it matters to them. I'm half-surprised they didn't try to nominate Hangover 2.

The Artist is controversy (thanks to Kim Novak) as well as something which is different. They always have a balance - in recent years they've moved more towards people-pleaser movies along with artistic stuff. I've seen more than a few mixed reviews for The Artist, as well as things like My Weekend With Marilyn, but this is what gets attention or has powerful backing.

• Members

Wait, what? Bridesmaids deserved an Oscar nomination for one of the best comedies in decades (?!) yet The Help didn't deserve it all?

What?

253-tumblr.gif

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Kristen Wiig, I LOVE Melissa McCharthy, but Bridesmaids was one of the most horrendous movies from last year.

• Members

The Help was a mediocre, at best, film thats been done a ton of times. A white persons ees the wrongs and decides to help another race and gives herself a pat on the back. The performances were AMAZNING. The actress' deserve their nominations, and i wouldnt be upset at all if they won. But The Help itself? No.

As for Bridesmaids, not everyone is going to love it - but clearly a majority do. And not just because its an ok comedy, because its a smart, clever comedy done the right way. People are pressed because it isnt your typical oscar comedy - and i think thats a good thing. In fact, i think it is a great thing.

And Wiig, shes the weakest link.

• Members

I don't see why the Help didn't deserve a nomination over some of these other films. In terms of merit the Help was one of the better lighter films released this year and was pretty enjoyable all around. There are ten spots they need to fill and this was all in all a pretty slow year in regards to quality films with a pretty dead award season to boot. The reason why The Help, Bridesmaids, Midnight In Paris and others got there is because they needed space fillers for those ten spots. It would be so much easier if the Academy shrunk them back to the five spots like they did before. Most of these lighter films have no chance in hell of winning.

As to Michelle no way she is going to win. She is still too young and she has too few nominations in the Best Actress field she also doesn't have a lot of hype MWWM came and went pretty quickly. Viola, Glenn and Meryl probably all have better chances at winning then she does but Viola is definitely the one to beat. It would be interesting to see if that changes in a month.

This has merit but to say that reception has no recognition to the Academy is inaccurate. A lot of films die pretty early in the campaign season if critics find the work in question bad or middling, for example look at what happened to Gosling and his two pet projects last year. Both Drive and March were supposed to be his break through films in regards to getting him that Best Actor trophy and he is nowhere to be found months later.

• Members

Sandra Bullock was robbed. I thought Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was a fantastic movie. But even for those that didn't like the movie, I don't know how anyone could deny that Sandra gave the performance of a lifetime. She moved me to tears every time she was on screen. I'm very disappointed.

The Help deserved a nomination. I love you JP, but I think you're the only person in the world that saw that movie and didn't love it.

• Members

My officical snubs list: Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, Kirsten Dunst, Meloncholia, Shailene Woodley (I've never seen her TV show, but I loved that the girl from the Teenage show got a GG nomination. Though I wouldn't want her to win, seeing her nommed here as well would have been brilliant). Also, I'm not some super fan of his by any means, but the Academy really despises Leonardo DiCaprio, eh? While the overrated and disgustingly pandered George Clooney gets undeserved nomination after underserved nomination. And sadly, the amazing Ryan Gosling, who I am a huge fan of, is joining the ranks of those the Academy hates along with one of my other absolute favourite actresses: Julianne Moore. sad.png

Now, here is who I want to win:

Best Picture

The Artist

Best Director

Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Best Actor

Jean Dujardin, The Artist

Best Actress

Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn

Best Supporting Actor

Jonah Hill, Moneyball (I haven't seen the movie, so my opinion is not based on his performance in any way, but Jonah Hill winning would be such a hilarious WTF! The guy from Superbad an Oscar winner ... but hey, they did give one to Sandra Bullock, so ...)

Nick Nolte, Warrior - Totally the man who deserves it before all else.

Best Supporting Actress

Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids (As someone mentioned somewhere else, I like to think she really was nominated for all her work on Gilmore Girls! Plus, it givs me hope that Lauren Graham could one day get some much needed goddamn recognition!)

Best Original Screenplay

Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Best Adapted Screenplay

John Logan, Hugo

Best Foreign Language Film

Monsieur Lazhar (Canada) (I love when my country represents!!!)

• Members

It's tough for a younger actor to get that recognition, unless it's in a hugely acclaimed film, like Adrien Brody in The Pianist. I am not sure but I think most of the younger men who have been in major contention for Best Actor in recent years have usually been types who aren't mainstream. Gosling has been groomed to take over some type of leading man-but-he-can-act-too role which Clooney or Pitt have held onto for years. They may feel he hasn't paid his dues yet, and his movies weren't popular enough to merit a nomination for him.

Leading men in Hollywood always seem to hang on in these awards long after their popularity or relevancy fades - I've seen more and more open repulsion towards Pitt and Clooney (even at sites like Go Fug Yourself, which once adored Clooney), yet they're still dragged out for nominations.

Archived