October 3-7, 2011

Toups

• Members

How is The Chew eroding the daytime lineup I mean really GH was doing baldly for months now and OLTL has been declining for weeks before "The Chew" aired. I am sure AMC leaving has had an impact but blaming this on The Chew is reaching. I always assumed that if a person wanted to watch a show it didn't matter what came on before it, so I'm also assuming that this means that the casual viewer who would just watch whatever comes on after their intended show is not watching The Chew therefore not sticking around for OLTL. But what does this say for OLTL and GH and the soap community as a whole, either the numbers are there and solid are they are not and how does this translate to when the show goes online.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Before the Chew ever premiered, GH had been sinking to new all-time lows in the demos every month since April, Eric.

I think those blaming the Chew completely missed that OLTL has been bleeding viewers all throughout September and that GH has been hitting new all time lows for months. AND more importantly missing that OLTL was soaring in the ratings in August when AMC was floundering in the basement.

• Members

Hopefully Y&R's significant drop gets the writing team out the door. MAB is stuck there because the bitch is Bell. Seriously who the hell writes this garbage? These writers should be barred for life for writing this reekfest coming out the screens and it's a total embarrassment.

• Members

Yes, was having a retro flashback! Question: HOW did GL surge up to number one for that year while up against GH? Was the writing really great? By the 1980s, the PGP shows were all in decline so I assume something great must have happened that year.

I'm stunned by the Y&R drops. Yes, the writing is piss poor; however, there isn't much else to watch and so many fans seem to have stayed loyal to the show through thick and thin. At this point, CBS might as well bring in Chris Goutman to counter Hogan. On a serious note, maybe Ed Scott or David Shaunacy (sp?) should be hired. I do wonder if the loss of ATWT had anything to do with the drops because some fans watched the entire line up as a block?

I thought, and still hope, that Y&R would pick up some soap hungry AMC fans. DM should be a draw.

• Members

Goutman did nothing to stop Sheffer from destroying ATWT.

I also don't think Rauch's departure is the reason for a ratings drop. The show was a living hell for most of 2009, backstage and oncamera. I think that it's a lot of factors, such as stunt casting fatigue, and unwatchable stories, nasty stories, with zero payoff. If you are going to writhe in misogyny, as Y&R has done with Sharon, Diane, Victoria, etc. at least have some sort of actual storyline.

They should bring in some of the writers from FX shows. They get all kinds of hype, and ratings, for abuse of women.

• Members

TeamEric AMC wasn't at 1.6 to 1.7 million viewers that isn't floundering in the basement, that is CRASHING TO THE FREAKING FLOOR. AMC had lowest 2.2 million to 2.4 million. OLTL is building out of it's leadin. OLTL dropped a bit but did anyone expect OLTL to maintain strong August numbers for months on end. Some thought it would crash after week 1 in August. OLTL has had a solid ratings year. February sweeps was very solid, April with the bullying, August with two Todds and September was second highest viewing month. The Chew has crashed the whole lineup. Honestly it doesn't mater for OLTL its all over for the show on ABC. Its funny show is highest viewed ABC show and is one cancelled. OLTL IMO should be lucky they are getting out of ABC's clutches and into PP clutches. ABC daytime is crashing. GH is a GONER thats. Its badly hugely bombed under GW. Its BORING.

• Members

The Goutman remark was a joke. I still say, though, that given the poor condition ATWT was in by '98, the duo did have a few good seasons. I know she has her fans, but LB and the producer pre-Goutman ruined the show.

Raunch RUINED Y&R! Firstly, he allowed for the worst casting on daytime TV. Secondly, he had no overall vision for the show and rolled from stunt to stunt which was got really painful around the Sara and Daisy mess. Daytime, in general, seems to rely on misogyny--is this based on some demo research? I feel like the woman hate is by design with female writers equally guilty.

Bell used similiar sexist devices but it just didn't seem as dirty as what MAB allows today. B&B based the entire show on the destruction of both Brooke and Taylor based on Ridge's penile whim. ATWT did similiar with the majority of Emily and Molly's love affairs. Reva got screwed by the short end of the stick on GL at least once per year. After some thought, maybe daytime has not changed so much after all.

I disagree that GH hasn't changed. The soap sucks even more than under Guza! Wolf needs to get a grip and be less sentimental. GH feels like a AA PSA with Luke and now Lucky. It would be far more interesting to watch Lucky on a long term bender like the hospital show House. Also, they need to use a few vets such as Monica as a sort of Greek Chorus much like ATWT used Nancy and Emma under Marland.

I recently watched some old Marland ATWT on Utube and think the overall quality beat much of today's primetime. His vision of a midwestern morality tale gave the show a focus and core that most shows currently lack. His stories were often boring, too Puritian, but his characters were so well-developed.

• Members

The problem with Lucky is that all he's going to do is cry, and sometimes yell. Really that's all JJ has ever done in the role, even when he was a boy.

Everything at GH now was from Guza.

I don't think anyone has had any vision for Y&R in quite some time. I guess LML had one, but that seemed to be incomprehensible by the end of her run. MAB has never cared about the show. She has cared about getting her name out there for interviews, and for this delusion of how she is honoring Bill Bell's legacy. Rauch just cashed a paycheck and put his whites-only policy onto Y&R. That's about it. I guess the real creative geniuses are Sheffer and Hamner, as they are smeared all over Y&R today.

• Members

The chew is a flop yes and deservedly so. The show is a mess.But why are folks pretending ABC's lineup was soaring. GH has been struggling for months now hitting record low after record low. OLTL has been dropping since the 2 Todd reveal despite the cheerleading about how wonderful it is. And those viewers who are not watching didn't gravitate over to CBS or NBC. Y&R has been eroding viewers for months, B&B has also been dropping.None of these networks care about these shows and despite the changes at Days I don't believe NBC cares. Brad Bell and oddly enought Ken Corday are the only showrunners who seem to give a darn. Its funny how all the blame goes to The Chew versus acknowledging even with AMC's falling ratings perhaps there were people out there who watched the entire lineup and losing AMC is what hurt these soaps the most. I realize AMC seems to be the ugly stepchild online but it might be nice to see at least some recognition that just maybe it did help the lineup.

Archived