Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

This is funny! The Beatles sometimes bug me as well!

When "Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles reached the peak position, it marked the only time in history that three consecutive chart-toppers were performed by the same artist. "Can't Buy Me Love" was number one for five weeks: the weeks ended 4/4/64, 4/11/64, 4/18/64, 4/25/64, & 5/2/64.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYedzZZwvmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

During the time "Can't Buy Me Love"--Capitol's official follow-up to "I Want to Hold Your Hand"--was at #1, Beatlemania reached its zenith. In addition to being the Beatles' third chart-topper in a row, "Can't Buy Me Love" set a new record for largest international advance sale orders (with some 2.1 million copies being requested). Furthermore, it had only been at #27 the week before it first hit the top spot; such a feat would not be exceeded until "A Moment Like This" by Kelly Clarkson leaped from #52 to #1 in 2002. (Interestingly, Clarkson still holds this chart record, albeit with 2009's "My Life Would Suck Without You," which was #97 the week before it hit #1.)

Most impressive, however, was the sheer chart domination of the Beatles that occurred during this time. For the week ended 4/4/64, the Fab Four monopolized the top five:

#1: "Can't Buy Me Love"

#2: "Twist and Shout"

#3: "She Loves You"

#4: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

#5: "Please Please Me"

The following week, fourteen positions on the Hot 100 were held by the Beatles:

#1: "Can't Buy Me Love"

#2: "Twist and Shout"

#4: "She Loves You"

#7: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

#9: "Please Please Me"

#14: "Do You Want to Know a Secret"

#38: "I Saw Her Standing There"

#48: "You Can't Do That"

#50: "All My Loving"

#52: "From Me to You"

#61: "Thank You Girl"

#74: "There's a Place"

#78: "Roll Over Beethoven"

#81: "Love Me Do"

Obviously, it is extremely unlikely that either of these last two accomplishments will ever be exceeded or duplicated.

Though "Can't Buy Me Love" spent five weeks at number one, it only spent a total of nine weeks in the top forty (which is very low for a chart-topping single). (On the other hand, the Fab Four's first two #1 hits each spent fourteen weeks in the top forty.) And while "Can't Buy Me Love" is an enjoyable song, I personally don't consider its quality to be on par with that of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You."

By the way, the next time an artist would succeed itself at number one didn't occur until 1994, when "On Bended Knee" by Boyz II Men dislodged "I'll Make Love to You."

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I remember, Carl... McCartney wrote "Woman" under a false name wondering if he was selling because of talent, or reputation. And since it became a hit, he had his answer. Now, here in the US... I guess "Please Please Me" was the first single, and it only reached number three. Ironically, I think of their early hits, it's the best one. This cover of that song is just so ADORABLE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3DLAvsz78

• Members

I have never before seen the Bee Gees look so young or so preppy.

Mary Hopkin was hot.

The artist to finally knock the Beatles out of the top spot was the unlikeliest of suspects: Louis Armstrong. The jazz great did so with his signature song--"Hello, Dolly!"--which spent one week at number one: the week ended 5/9/64.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y-8sNWfEf7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Daniel Louis Armstrong was born on August 4, 1901 in New Orleans. (His birthdate is often erroneously stated to be 7/4/1900.) When he was twelve, Louis was sent to a juvenile home because he shot his father's .38 caliber firearm into the air during a New Year's Eve celebration. However, it was during his time at the home that his interest in music blossomed, because that center's music instructor taught Armstrong how to play the cornet and bugle. Louis was also given his nickname of "Satchmo" during these years because other kids teased him about his big mouth (originally calling him "satchel-mouth").

Satchmo's mentor was legendary trumpet player Joe "King" Oliver (whom he met circa 1917). A big career break occurred when Oliver departed Kid Ory's Band in 1919, which led to Armstrong being named the band's new leader. In the 1920s, Louis flourished after moving to Chicago, which at the time was the epicenter of the American jazz scene. Armstrong's national and international fame continued through the 30s and 40s. However, his career suffered as rock and roll increased in popularity.

On January 16, 1964, a musical written by Jerry Herman called "Hello, Dolly!" debuted on Broadway. Carol Channing played the title character, and the song was performed as the second act was getting underway. When Armstrong himself first recorded his version, he didn't realize it was from a Broadway show. Yet five years later, he was in the movie version of "Hello, Dolly!" and sang the tune to Barbra Streisand.

Armstrong died of a heart attack on July 6, 1971. His only other top forty hit during the rock era was "What a Wonderful World" (a song recorded in 1967), which posthumously reached #32 in 1988. Two years later, Satchmo was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an "early influence."

"Hello, Dolly!" was #1 when AW premiered. When Armstrong took this tune to the top of the Hot 100, he became the oldest artist (at age 62) to ever have a number one song (a record that still stands).

• Members

Of all the artists who will appear on this list, none will be as talented as Louis Armstrong. His voice was so unique and he just shows how wrong stuff like American Idol is. You don't need glory notes to sell a song. "Black and Blue" is a brilliant song, and his duet with Ella on "Summertime" is hypnotizing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MIDOEsQL7lA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Louis Armstrong is amazing. And "Hello Dolly" is a great song. I saw Hello Dolly about 5 years ago with Michele Lee in the title role, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. When he plays, his cheeks always made me laugh as a child, how they puff up like a blowfish, but wow, can he blow! Qfan, that version of "Summertime" is great, it totally paints a mood in time and place. I'm pretty sure that "Hello Dolly" is Louis' biggest hit on the US charts, but over the years, his most remembered song has been supplanted by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVG80vqVfSA

One of the reasons for this is that the song was #1 in the UK in 1968, and was the biggest selling single of the year. It only went to number 116 in the US, because the president of ABC records didn't like it, so didn't promote it. But the UK distributor division at EMI did, and that is the result. Then in 1988, it was featured in Good Morning Vietnam, and re-released as a single, reaching number 32, like Max mentioned.

• Members

I never knew what Satchmo stood for. Or that What a Wonderful World was not at all a hit in the US when it first came out. I wonder if any songs have come from obscurity to become that iconic.

Beyond the invasion of rock and roll, I think Armstrong's career also suffered in an era of increasing social relevance, because a number of people saw him as a stereotype, as playing up to negative images white people had of blacks, etc.

• Members

Yes, Carl.. it has. Billy Vera's "At This Moment" which will come along on the number ones thread when we get to 1985 only went to number 79 in it's original release. But being used on the TV show Family Ties gave the song a new life, and it was re-released and shot to number one. Up until then, his only real hit was "Storybook Children" with Judy Clay.

• Members

There are so many iconic songs that did not do well upon initial release. In a future post, I will share a couple of them. (I won't do it here due to the length of this post.)

While I knew "What a Wonderful World" bubbled under at #116 in 1968, I never knew about the president of ABC Records' disilke of that song.

This is a great observation.

Although Motown had two previous chart-toppers, the first number one hit on the Motown label itself (as opposed to the Tamla subsidiary label) was "My Guy" by Mary Wells. This tune spent two weeks at the peak position: the weeks ended 5/16/64 & 5/23/64.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VZ9aC0SrLqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mary Wells was born into one of Detroit's poor families. She used music as an escape, and even wrote some songs herself. Upon meeting Berry Gordy, Jr., Wells presented him with a tune titled "Bye Bye Baby," and suggested that Jackie Wilson (a friend of Gordy's whom Mary idolized) record it. Gordy, however, decided to sign Wells to his fledging label, and "Bye Bye Baby" soon reached #45 (in late 1960).

Along with the Miracles and the Marvelettes, Wells was among Motown's earliest stars. (At one time, she was even dubbed "The Queen of Motown.") Mary accumulated several top forty hits in the coming years:

"I Don't Want to Take a Chance" (#33, 1961)

"The One Who Really Loves You" (#8, 1962)

"You Beat Me to the Punch" (#9, 1962)

"Two Lovers" (#7, 1963)

"Laughing Boy" (#15, 1963)

"Your Old Stand By" (#40, 1963)

"You Lost the Sweetest Boy" (#22, 1963)

"What's Easy for Two Is So Hard for One" (#29, 1964)

Because Wells had her greatest success with Smokey Robinson (who wrote or co-wrote her three earlier top ten hits), it made sense for her to continue recording Smokey's material (as opposed to songs she wrote herself). From his pen came "My Guy," an R&B classic that also featured (uncredited) backup vocals provided by the Andantes.

While Mary was riding high as a result of the success of "My Guy," she soon made a fateful decision to leave Motown. (This decision wasn't as foolish as it sounds in hindsight because Motown really did not take off until the Supremes started dominating the charts later in 1964.) Upon the advice of her then-husband (who interestingly was a Motown employee at the time), Wells signed a $200,000 contract with 20th Century Fox. Unfortunately, the only hint of success she had on that label was "Use Your Head," which fizzled at #34 in 1965. (I'd also like to mention that after "My Guy" reached #1, Motown did release some duets that Wells performed with Marvin Gaye. Two of these songs made the top twenty.)

Wells was only 49 when she died of throat cancer on July 26, 1992.

• Members

My two favorite Mary Wells songs are "The One Who Really Loves You" and "You Beat Me to the Punch." (Because both sound extremely similar, I am not sure if I have a preference.)

In response to an earlier topic, I'd like to share two very iconic songs that did relatively poorly upon their initial releases. The first of these was the beloved 1956 doo-wop ballad, "In the Still of the Night" by the Five Satins.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p2bFfisHZaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This record only peaked at #24, but later became a huge favorite among oldies fans.

In 1980, a New Wave classic by the Romantics--"What I Like About You"--stalled at #49. Yet, the song would later become so recognizable because of its use in commercials.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jvHKjDKY_O8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Mary Wells did get a bit of a resurgence in 1982, with her song "Gigolo" released on Epic records. It went to number 2 on the disco chart (I guess Billboard hadn't changed he Disco chart's name to "Dance" at that time) and # 69 on the R&B chart. It gave her a little shot in the arm, and she got to do some touring because of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIUMee1Qqg

Archived