Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

The Murmaids deserved better than one-hit wonder status. (FYI, Bread's David Gates wrote "Popsicles and Icicles.")

"Wild One" and "Forget Him" are my favorite Bobby Rydell songs.

The first of twenty chart-toppers by the Beatles (which, by the way, is still a record) was the magnificent "I Want to Hold Your Hand," which spent seven weeks at number one: the weeks ended 2/1/64, 2/8/64, 2/15/64, 2/22/64, 2/29/64, 3/7/64, & 3/14/64.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pygvbo3ZAxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In early 1957, John Lennon (born 10/9/40) and some friends formed a skiffle band called the Quarrymen. That July, Lennon met Paul McCartney (b. 6/18/42), who himself quickly became a member of the group. The following year, George Harrison (b. 2/24/43) joined the band as well, but only after Paul (who was a friend of George's) was able to persuade John to let him do so. (Lennon initially thought Harrison was too young to join.) By 1959, only John, Paul, and George remained in the band (as all of John's friends had left). Also, it should be noted that during the Quarrymen's first couple of years, numerous name changes occurred, including Johnny & the Moondogs, the Rainbows, and the Silver Beatles.

1960 was a watershed year for the group in a couple of ways. First of all, the lads from Liverpool, England finally settled upon the moniker of the Beatles. Additionally, two more group members joined: Stuart Sutcliffe (6/23/40-4/10/62) and drummer Pete Best (b. 11/24/41). Sutcliffe, however, left in April 1961 (and had no replacement). On the other hand, Best was with the group extensively as they toured the British club scene the next few years. Reasons for his dismissal vary, ranging from his being a mediocre drummer to the fact that he didn't socialize very much with the other group members. In any event, Ringo Starr (b. 7/7/40 as Richard Starkey) replaced Best in August 1962.

Throughout 1963, Beatlemania had swept the U.K. But to the great frustration of the Fab Four and manager Brian Epstein, nobody in America seemed interested in them. Capitol Records opted to not release several Beatles songs already presented to them, including "From Me to You," "Love Me Do," "Please Please Me," and "She Loves You." However, executives felt something really special with "I Want to Hold Your Hand," a tune that the group recorded on October 19, 1963. The executives at Capitol were finally right, given that "I Want to Hold Your Hand" proved to be the most popular song of 1964, as well as the second-biggest hit the Beatles ever had.

During the time "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was #1, the Fab Four made their first iconic appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" (on 2/9/64). Furthermore, "I Saw Her Standing There" (the American flip-side to the Beatles' first chart-topper) reached as high as #14 on its own. "I Want to Hold Your Hand," of course, remains the second most important post-World War II recording, as only "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & His Comets takes on more significance.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know that much about Sutcliffe, especially that he died so young, or that he was the one who helped come up with the name of The Beatles. In his photos he looks very otherworldly and moody - I can see why he and Lennon were close.

• Members

I know... it's one of my two MAJOR unpopular opinions (the other is that I hate dogs) but I just don't like the Beatles. As songwriters, I think they are definately deserving of all the accolades they get, their songs are brilliant, timely, lovely, and well structured. I just simply don't care for their productions on their records. It doesn't show off the songs to best advantage, and I especially see no merit whatsoever in "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". The guitar and vocal arrangements are kind of grating and frenetic to me, the vocals kind of colorless. I basically think they skated by alot on their sex appeal (Although I don't find ANY of them the least bit attractive). I will say, that there are two Beatles songs I truly LOVE... and that is "Nowhere Man", and "The Long And Winding Road" (And that is because it sounds like a Bee Gees song and not a Beatles song). I do enjoy hearing OTHERS sing Beatles songs, however... in many genres and on many shows, here's a nice example of that:

• Members

I agree about the cheapness of some of their early hits. Sometimes it gets in the way, and just seems loud, like "From Me To You." Other times it seems charming, like "She Loves You."

Long and Winding Road and Fool on the Hill are just agonizing and maudlin for me.

• Members

Oh hell... I LOVE maudlin! LOL The odd thing is, once they broke up, I like MANY of their solo hits, from all FOUR of them! I'll talk more about "Fool On the Hill" since you mentioned it, and it never went to number one... Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 certainly had the biggest hit version of that, which I love. My favorite version of it is the quasi-psychadelic version that Petula Clark did:

• Members

It's always fun to hear other performers sing Beatles songs, and they just about ALL did, no matter who they were or where they came from, which certainly speaks to the Beatles influence, for sure. this is a particuarly interesting Beatles Medley, with some brilliant moments, and a couple painful moments (Mirelle Mattieu singing "Yesterday" in her clipped French is like nails on a chalkboard)

I love how Burt Bacharach always looks like he's getting ready to Orgasm while he plays the piano. Juliet Prowse does an admirable job on these songs, and looks so stately and elegant (TOWERING over the other women) And Dusty's wig... there are no words for the campy gloriousness of it. She looks like the winner of the Miss Arkansas pageant. She does "Come Together" brilliantly, but i'd sure like to know what the HELL ju-ju eyeballs are.

• Members

Thanks for letting me know about this. I thought Juliet had the weakest voice (I guess she was more of a dancer), but I loved how hip and cool she was in that - it's very ahead of its time, in some way.

Colonel Sanders tie and squirrel look aside, I was fascinated by that Mirielle woman. I actually thought she sounded much better singing in English.

I just love Petula's version. Why can't we have women like her now, who can't carry big tunes but have such style and phrasing, WITHOUT autotune???

She looks a lot like Patty Weaver.

• Members

Wow! People hate the Beatles? I always assumed this was misguided loyalty to their favorite star, someone who might have been #1 of all time if not the The Beatles (Elvis, Michael Jackson, someone like that). What's to hate? Every song on Sgt Pepper is a gem. "When I'm 64" is such a sweet song; we sang it to my mother at her 65th party and the entire restaurant joined in.

• Members

That was an enjoyable Beatles medley put on by Burt Bacharach.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of the Beatles, either (though I do enjoy their early songs). However, despite not being my cup of tea, I do believe that (from a qualitative standpoint) they were the best artist in the history of rock.

Carl, your above comment about why Sutcliffe and Lennon were close is so prescient.

When "She Loves You" knocked "I Want to Hold Your Hand" out of the #1 position, the Beatles became the first act since Elvis Presley to succeed itself at the chart zenith. "She Loves You" spent two weeks atop the Hot 100: the weeks ended 3/21/64 & 3/28/64.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T0YifXhm-Zc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As I had mentioned previously, executives at Capitol Records turned down several Beatles records (for American release) during 1963. Because of these rejections, Brian Epstein went to several smaller labels, including Vee-Jay and Swan. Vee-Jay actually did decide to release "Please Please Me" (yet misspelled the group's name as the "Beattles") and "From Me to You," but the latter tune "bubbled under" at #116 in August 1963. ("Please Please Me" failed to chart.) "She Loves You" (a song recorded at Abbey Road studios on 7/1/63) was issued by Swan but also flopped. However, as Beatlemania was taking hold in America, all those small record companies were quick to re-release any Beatles singles that they had, and "She Loves You" subsequently caught fire. (The second time around, Vee-Jay placed "From Me to You" as the B-side to "Please Please Me." The B-side charted as high as #41 on its own, while the A-side went to #3.)

In the U.K., "She Loves You" spent six non-consecutive weeks at #1 and was the best-selling single of the 60s. Interestingly, it was succeeded at the top spot (the second and final time it fell from number one) by "I Want to Hold Your Hand," which was the exact opposite of what occurred in the United States. Regardless of the order, "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You" are my favorite Beatles songs. Note that the iconic "she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah..." intro was the idea of legendary producer George Martin. (Given that those lyrics are found elsewhere in the song, I don't believe that it was Martin who came up with those words. However, it was his idea to start "She Loves You" that way, instead of beginning with "you think you've lost your love...")

• Members

I think maybe the Lennon/ McCartney dual lead thing is one thing that doesn't work for me... Rob Grill and Warren Entner can pull that off, Agnetha and Frida, for sure.. but Lennon and McCartney, not so much. Also, once again, it's the production that bothers me. McCartney himself is a far better producer, IMO than George Martin is. And I guess the early hits are just far too guitar driven for my taste.

• Members

Qfan... I definately don't hate them, I just don't like them. I hate Guns and Roses, and people like that. The vocals play a part, but for me, it's all about the production. George Martin is just no Lou Adler in my world. Had McCartney produced all of the Beatles records, i'm sure I would have liked them better, because one of my top 5 favorite songs of the the 60's just happens to be a McCartney production (though only went to number 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdOQvx379Y&feature=related

Same artist, but George Martin producing... this is one of his better efforts, but I still think McCartney does a much better job in the production chair:

I think that McCartney's productions have more interest, more texture, and he builds through the song, while Martin tends to be kind of sparse with instrumentation, stingy with background vocal arrangements, and he just kind of walks the song in a circle back to where it started, he doesn't drive the bus in a certain direction and build toward something (the thing I dislike most about "Goodbye" is that pitter patter in the background that sounds like someone slapping their leg in "Hambone" fashion to the music, and after that cool and promising guitar intro) But one must keep in mind, I totally LOVE records that many people call "Over produced", so it's all subjective.

Archived