1972 interview with CBS Daytime Exec Darryl Hickman

DRW50

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember Darryl Hickman from the movie 'Leave Her To Heaven' when Gene Tierney watches as he drowns.

Pamela his wife,is of course Pamela Lincoln,who played Felicia on LOL and Doreen on TD.They divorced in 82.

Paul Rauch was at AW in 72,so he must have moved shortly after this interview.

• Members

Rauch was on the record as wanting to cancel LIAMST, LOL and WTHI during this period. He was allegedly behind the downsize in pay to David Birney in 1970 that caused Birney to leave LIAMST.

Trish Stewart's husband, Mike Ogiens, was also a CBS player coming up at that time. He had produced game shows for Chuck Barris and then he got bumped to CBS Daytime Head West Coast. Interesting how it all seemed to stay in the family.

Killing off Gene Bua was a terrible, terrible mistake for LOL.

• Members

Thanks for the info, saynotoursoap. Did his death have a big impact on ratings (good or bad)?

At least they didn't do what he wanted...although I guess they did ultimately cancel two of them a year later.

I never understood why they were stingy with David Birney when he was becoming a big draw for them. And did his departure also cause Leslie Charleson to leave?

• Members

I think Leslie missed Donna and David. She was best friends with Donna and living with David. She also said in a magazine article she knew it was time to go when she did something like 27 shows in a row and one morning getting ready for work she took a shower after she had put her clothes on! Leslie and Donna also were the envy of the other young ingenue types at CBS because they had a deal where they had to be used as guest stars on primetime shows. Leslie appeared on Wild Wild West and Mannix and Donna was on Dan August and Gunsmoke, so both girls had their foot in the door to casting directors 'knowing them'. Leslie did change her billing to Leslie Ann Charleson which I thought was strange.

Archived