GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I would love to see them too. I agree about Brooke Bundy. She was a popular guest star on a lot of 60's.70's TV, but what bits of her Diana I have seen, she overacted the part. I was noticing how Craig Huebing reminded me a bit of actor Paul Carr and come to find out Paul briefly originated the role of Peter in 1969 before Craig took over. Paul appears to have played many short term roles on soaps. He was a popular guest actor on may series and films, I guess he couldn't commit long term to a soap.

• Members

Valerie Starrett had been hugely popular. I found her fluttery hands to be distracting at times, but that was a small quibble.It's a shame she was axed by a producer who would soon be replaced, himself. Brooke Bundy might have worked in another role, but she was badly cast as Diana Taylor, and had far less chemistry with Craig Huebing had had. 

Paul Carr simply was not very good as Peter, and did not have a lot of on-screen warmth or spark. When they replaced him with the more appealing Huebing, I was relieved.

• Members

It seems Paul Carr mostly played heavies. There are few roles I have seen where he's the good guy. I know he will appear on The Doctors as a dastardly Doc around 1976 if we get to see them that far. He also originated the role of Bill Horton on Days and had roles on Y&R and Dallas. 

How long was he in the role of Peter ?

Edited by SoapDope

• Members

I like Brooke Bundy in the clips I have seen.  But I've seen so little of Starrett so I can't say how I would feel about her.  I've watched most of the Heather/Diana/Jeff/Anne story including Diana's murder on YouTube, and it was an exciting run of stories.

GH is my favorite soap.  But when I watch classic era stuff, for me, there is a period between the black and white first few years and Monty that is deadly dull and doesn't hold my interest like clips from other shows during the same period.  

The Steve and Jessie early years with the addition of Lee are very entertaining.  And Monty's casting and actors held me through even the wonkiest stories during her era.  But what I have seen between doesn't hold my interest.

When you compare GH episodes in the mid 1970's to Days, OLTL, AMC, EDGE, even stodgy old GL and ATWT, GH is not as compelling.  My opinion of course.

• Members

Carr only lasted part a year as Peter Taylor, in 1969. He lasted slightly longer as Bill Horton, from 1965 until 1966.

I might have liked Bundy better as Diana, if I had not seen Starrett in the role first. The character's concept and personality changed so much with the new actress, it was jarring. Imagine Archie Bunker going from Carroll O'Connor to Mr. Bean, LOL. (I'm joking, but the "new" Diana was quite a departure from the original.)

I agree 100% about the mid-1970s GH era. After the Dobsons left as headwriters, the bottom of the show fell out and it was a total snore-fest throughout the writing regimes of the Hollands, the Pollacks, and the Elmans. I could barely sit through it. Only loyalty to characters like Steve, Jessie, Audrey, Lee, and Lesley kept me hanging in there. Douglas Marland's arrival turned everything around, however. Within just a few weeks, GH was must-see TV.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Monty famously throwing away about a week of filmed shows must have helped that quick turnaround, due to the production schedule at the time.  Good writer, compelling stories and top production.  When a show isn't gutted beyond recognition the right team could still turn any one of the soaps around.  But who would those teams be in the current climate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just had a through the mail autograph success with Sharon DeBord, who played Nurse Sharon for many years beginning in the 60s until the early 70s. She also wrote me a lovely letter. The screen caps I sent her to autograph were of her guest spot on Bewitched. Hopefully I can get them posted up here one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...