GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Jed Allan had a very solid soap career for many years, but that doesn't = Edward. I think JFP thought, "Hey, he was CC Capwell, and that's like Edward." It didn't help that he'd just finished a run on PC, where he yelled and bellowed constantly.

• Members

I thought he was more like the "real" Edward David Lewis than John Ingle is. I thought he did an effective job. I think John Ingle is ok but Edward went from a cunning ruthless smart intelligent and yes caring man to the cariacature he is now. Granted a lot of its writing but Jed Allen had the same commanding presence David Lewis did. *shrugs personally I never saw a thing wrong with his edward. But yeah based on the cartoon Edward has become he wasn't a fit.

• Members

While I agree that GH probably is the second most important TV soap, for the reasons you say but also of course for Gloria Monty changing the genre to a more filmic/primetime feel in terms of shorter scenes, more cross editing (ie a short scene with one character, then with another, then back to the earlier character--something I find OLTL does a bit too much of now), and I know this may show my AMC biase, but in 70s soap books, AMC usually egts the credit (or, as many in the soap press in the 70s didn't seem to approve of AMC, discredit) for really putting a lot of the focus on youth. Y&R of course did the same, and added the element of Hollywood glamour, in terms of aesthetics, but also because they were one of the first soaps to cast actors as much on physical beauty as on acting talent, something all the soaps eventually took up on to some degree.

• Members

At the time, ABC seemed much more willing, maybe even too willing, to fire EPs--look at the insane turnaround in EPS at Loving from the late 80s to early 90s. Now, it's the opposite (and yes, this is one thing I do blame Frons for as he seemed to view himself as the overall EP on all shows).

It's interesting that GH, until the early 70s (I think?) used a piano for score, instead of an organ. I know the P&G soaps largely used organs till fairly late (1973 or so?), and I think the other major ABC soaps that came after AMC (from Dark Shadows to AMC) never used organ or piano but had scored, pre recorded cues.

I also kinda wonder why GH was done from Hollywood, when soaps back then were almost always done from New york (although not exclusively, I know a few others filmed from LA pre GH and Days).

Edited by EricMontreal22