FX: American Horror Story

Toups

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I agree with that. I rewatched the pilot because a friend wanted to see it--it probably helped that we were drinking while watching, but for what it is I liked it a lot more. Though if they do change families every season as has been said, we did both decide that the outcome that everybody int he family dies--or that they are already dead, would be majorly lame endings (and not beneath Ryan Murphy and crew by any means).

I tend to like characters (in books and tv/movies) that others say are unlikeable, but in the pilot I actually found the whole family kinda likeable--yes, even Dylan's character. Again, being a Ryan Murphy show, I have little doubt this will change, but...

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

The second episode seemed better although it seems they are taking the black comedy/parody route instead of being genuinely horror. I found myself laughing at the ironic non-nonsensical moments of the show--Constance and her lover played by Michael Graziadei, the Manson worshiper who had fantasies of being cut in half and then literally got cut in half by Tate with the axe.

Good show, and at least Dylan McDermott wasn't it in much it was thanks to the rest of the cast to pull the episode off. The cupcake scene was rather puzzling though, as if Constance either intended to poison someone or knew in advance to save Viv and Violet from the attackers.

We'll see what next week brings.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I enjoyed it, but I think you're giving Ryan Murphy too much credit--from every interview, he thinks this is genuinely, non campy, full balls to the wall-on horror, the likes "TV has never seen before". I admit, I enjoy it. Some of the campier moments were right out of later seasons of Nip/Tuck but on that show they pretended it was a drama dealing with real issues, here there isn't that pretence at least.

I believe Constance really does want to poison violet (I was sure the dog would eat it--glad he didn't). It seems like her, Tate and the maid are all connected (tate saying how they needed ot get rid of the bodies since Constance wanted him to continue his therapy there, etc)--but honestly I'm not really expecting much plot coherence here. Constance looked genuinely upset when she saw Viv and Violet running away--noticed that Violet was there. Maybe if Vilet had died she could join them (are they dead?) I dunno, I'm not gonna think about it anymore. Apparently Graziadei is in several episodes though--I wonder if it's just to say a line and be shirtless.

• Members

In the 1968 murder prologue, they were watching Peyton Place. But they showed the episode, and we heard it--and since we were told that was 1968 they failed. I believe the show was colour by 1968--but at any rate the episode is early--it's in the first 30 episodes so would have been 1966...

Not that it matters especially on this show but :P

• Members

LOL I was going to say the same thing. It was from 1964, one of the first 20 episodes. It was fun!

As for the episode, I really don't know what to say. It's not coherent, it doesn't make much sense, it seems like it's all thrown together... but it's entertaining. I'll keep watching.

• Members

Why is everyone doggin Dylan McDermott? I like his character, and I always enjoyed the actor on The Practice, as well as Steele Magnolias and Miracle on 34th Street :P I think his moody edge fits the show perfectly. Plus, he's looking better than he ever has, especially from the neck down! Nice ass ;)

I'm liking this show. It's not my usual cup of tea, but it's like watching a continuing horror movie. These days, I'm digging short-lived / season-long series, so if their story arc concludes in one season, I'm all for it.

• Members

I agree--everyone keeps saying how horrible DMD is but I don't really see it. OK, he's not some miracle of acting but he fits perfectly. And loving the package :P

I really enjoyed episode 3. I think this is finding its footing. But GOD is it campy or what?

• Members

I don't think he's a great actor--but I admit he's doing a good job with the character given (my complaints were more about the type of actor he seemed to become). Though I'm disappointed they seem to have cut down on his nudity from the pilot--talk about tease.

Episode 3 was good in that it started answering some questions--but it does seem to be getting more over the top campy--I don't scare all that easy but I found parts in the past episodes genuinely creepy (if incoherent and over the top), but this one didn't really scare me at all. Granted I watched the earlier two with a friend, in the middle of the night, while *ahem* slightly intoxicated, and watched this one sober in the daytime, but... (Oh and when Sal Mineo was killed he was hardly young like that weird ghost scene tongue.png )

I admit I find the show a mess in many ways, but it doesn't bother me the way it has on past Ryan Murphy shows because I guess I feel that's part of the point (I'm sure he'd disagree...) Interesting Tim Minear is consulting producer--and Marti Noxon just joiend Glee as consulting producer--he seems to be trying to hire people from the Joss Whedon camp.

YRBB I'm ashamed that I got the year of the peyton Place wrong LOL, but am glad someone else caught it.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

I think this disjointed nature of the show is by design. It has to be. It feels like we (the viewer) are coming into consciousness at times and then fading out other times. As if we are there for parts of the story and then purposely shut out during the intervening time. That can't be by accident, it's too jarring for that. Now whether it works or not is an open question. I think it suits the genre, but I can't claim to love this show. I'm still watching, that's the most I can say.

• 2 weeks later...