B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

This episode was entirely centered on the Spectras and i LOVED it. You wouldn't see that on today's hot mess of a show.

Great to see rare scenes with Sally Macy, Darla and Saul.

Clarke is creepy in this episode, and i never understood how Eric and Stephanie could let there daughter work at Spectra back then,

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That as part of Sally's vulnerability, IMO. She was ashamed of herself and wanted to be what the Forresters were. I think it's one of the reasons Stephanie eventually befriended her.

There was a real mix of laughter and tears with the Spectras which none of the other characters on the show have had.

It was nice to see Colleen Dion's Felicia in a central role again. They built such a dynamic, strong character in Felicia and then just threw it away.

She went to work there to rebel against her family.

• Members

There are a LOT of great old episodes posted on this thread, making me recall exactly what drew me to this show in the first place.

Like the episode featuring Brooke and her sisters cooking for Ridge while Stephanie goes to see the original Bill Spencer about Caroline's confession that she still loves Ridge -- so much classic soap shenanignas in two episodes. The Brooke-Ridge scene, I feared, would fall into cliché as she attempted to play good little housemaid. But I forgot that William J Bell wrote this. Instead, the dinner was a heartfelt gesture, meant to contrast with the easy glitz in Ridge's life. And Brooke telling Ridge that she knew he was "out of her league" but that she couldn't help wanting him to stay in her life.... KKL played it so well, not begging, just stating the obvious and with a touch of sadness as she knows that Ridge doesn't quite return the intensity of her feelings. It was the "old" Brooke, the Brooke that I loved, who could be smart and vixenish but also sincere and loving, not the blonde ditz of today. And Ronn Moss, while being too perfectly chiseled for my taste, was on the right side of charming. And I say this as somebody who loved Caroline & Ridge and never really got into Brooke & Ridge.

I just wish the show still dealt with this level of complexity and in-depth character work when it comes to vets like Stephanie, Eric, Ridge and Brooke. It's not like they aren't featured -- they are -- it's just that Brad Bell has a particularly one-dimensional setting for each of them now and that's his comfort zone.

Also Colleen Dion as Felicia -- so fierce! And that skeevy bartender Sly! I remember when he was all over Eric's diabetic niece, Jessica and tried to break her and Stripper Dylan up. :lol:

Edited by Cat

• Members

When I started watching B&B in 1996, it seemed like that whole clan was just a time filler more than anything substantial. Once they gave Macy something to do, I liked them more. I also liked Darla & Thorne together, but they became too comfortably happy; never a good thing in the soap world.

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

Darlene was a wonderful actress. She always gave Sally dignity and heart, and pathos, which carried a lot of potentially degrading stories like Clarke/Sally. They bungled many of her stories, or cut them short (as they did with the Adam story above). The bungling of Sally and her family is the main reason I will never believe Brad Bell is a good writer.

• Members

I'm just so mad that Brad thought it was a good idea to replace the Spectras with the boring (at least now) Marones. Too Bad with his ego he will never admit it was a mistake to ruin the Spectras as much as he did. I have to wonder how Sally would fit into the current campus, if Darlene was still alive. I think she would be a glorified extra.