Single Ladies

Money

• Members

New show debuting tomorrow on VH1. I'll check it out because it's executive produced by Queen Latifah. It stars Stacey Dash, Lisa Raye, and Charity Shea. Set in Atlanta, it's already being panned as the Black Sex and the City.

Summary: (Stacey Dash) is an ambitious aspiring fashion mogul who wants to find a true partner. Keisha (LisaRaye McCoy), on the other hand, is a former video dancer just looking for a rich man to keep her in style. April (Charity Shea,) has supposedly found the perfect man and the perfect marriage - but is learning that marriage isn't necessarily a happy ending.

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:vh1.com:651496" width="512" height="319" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=id%3D1663706%26vid%3D651496%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Avh1.com%3A651496" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div><a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/shows//single_ladies/series.jhtml" onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline'" onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">Single Ladies</a> |<a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/single_ladies/cast_member.jhtml?personalityId=14816" onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline'" onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">Christina Carter</a> |<a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/single_ladies/cast_member.jhtml?personalityId=14813" onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline'" onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">Keisha Greene</a> |<a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/single_ladies/cast_member.jhtml?personalityId=14812" onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline'" onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">Valerie Stokes</a> </div>

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sigh... I want to like this show but it's a very bad Sex and the City wannabe meet Atlanta housewives. The bad acting and the "I'm a black female who need to get mines/looking for love/and he better be a brotha" shtick ain't helping either. Keisha is nothing but a lowdown/upscale pimp, Val's entire premise is every single Black female's plight already been told (and seen) before, and April is just painful to look at. The only bright side is the Black celebrities making cameos. It was cool seeing Kandi's huge ass smile and red flaming hair in the background.

• Members

18 minutes into the show and I'm *kinda* liking it! I have to comment on something.

UGH at Val's ex-boyfriend already moving on with a new girl 3 months later!! And she's his fionce! He didn't want to marry Val after 5 years but 3 months in with this new girl and he's already proposed? Wow!!

Ok going to go finish watching :) I'm already engrossed in this shows drama...I'm kinda annoyed this premier is two hours long.

• Members

Ok I have to comment again because I have to get this off my chest.

44 minutes in and Val is having sex with her ex after he told her why he didn't want to marry her (because he didn't love her): WTF!! Smh...that makes no damn sense!! I was really loving her until now. angry.gif That was a dumb move.

I should probably just watch til the end to see what all happens but I couldn't help but comment on that pathetic moment!

• Members

I'm going to stick with this show. I thought the premiere was pretty solid. I like it.

Val - Really loved her from the beginning until that snag she hit a quarter into the show, sleeping with her ex Quinn!!

Val: "He told me that he was not in love with me. Do you know how that made me feel?"

April: "Apparently bad enough for you to bone him."

Val: "Yes. He needed to know that I could still have him if I wanted him. I had to have the last word."

What? rolleyes.gif I don't get that at all. How pathetic!!...Why would she ever want him after that?

I loved the pregnancy twist. I'm a little sad it turned out she wasn't pregnant after all. I liked K.C. the one night stand guy, I actually thought him & Val had chemistry and loads of potential!! The interracial aspect between them was interesting as well. I had the story planned in my head on what it could've been like if he was the dad of her baby LOL. But with the way things turned out I doubt he'll ever be mentioned again...

Keisha - TRASH! I cannot stand her. She was kind of redeeming herself at the end but her personality is so unlikeable to me and I hate how she only cares about sex & money. Maybe things will change since she seems to be falling for that Malcolm guy.

April - I like her. I liked her S/L the best. She's sleeping with the Mayor! LOL @ Common on this show trying to act. He is soo awful.

Money, I see what you're saying about the show and I agree with you except I disagree about the acting. I think everyone's pretty okay in that department. So are you not going to watch anymore or will you stick with it? I hope you continue to watch!! Classicmoment, I like the dialogue to! That was my favorite thing about the show. Cheap21, will be looking forward to your thoughts!!

• Members

I totally get you here but I liked that they went that route because it showed the character's flaws already. She doesn't embrace her strength, I appreciated it for it's character definition. She's so vulnerable and trying to fight it but her emotions have her all over the place. These ladies are very flawed and doing, not all the right sensible things even thought hey are pretty smart. Hopefully the viewer gets to see them be defined and grow

• Members

I'll continue to watch but the show need major improvements for me to sit through the entire season. There were some major eye roll moments, including some of which you've mentioned. There's no way Val or any self respecting woman would have sex mere seconds after her boyfriend told her he never loved her and he was only settling for her. I thought the acting was horrible in those scenes and her explanation was even more cringe worthy because it was never on her terms. And she's delusional to think otherwise. Even in the end, when she wanted to have her "I'm woman" moment and she told him off, the moment he told her that's the reason he dumped her ass because of all her damn drama, she threw the drink in his face. I guess the truth hurts, after all. But not to be outdone since she must get her moment, she calls the waiter for a "clean up" and saunters off.

It's the same with Keisha and Malcolm. Keisha thinks she's a self empowered Black woman and Malcolm treats her like a dog. She says a few player lines to keep him in check but it all rings false since he proceeds to order her around again. Case in point: the red dress, the cooking, meeting him on his time... she admits he's a control freak, says she's "not one of those young girls he's use to who's insecure". No - she's just an older woman passed her prime who's insecure, totally messed up and thinks she has game. I haven't seen any woman who will cook for a man because he demands it, then when she does, he says he was only joking and tells her let's have some "real" food. She says he will eat the food since she spent the time sweating in her dress, and with all seriousness he tells her he has a four star chef who will make them a gourmet meal. Does she want wine or champagne - double entendre. Keisha doesn't miss a beat and happily chirps champagne. That scene was not cute.

April - what prompted her to cheat on a really good man? Because she has a fetish for Black guys? I guess we'll know in the upcoming weeks. Hopefully.

My problem with the show is that the girls are so caught up in their own delusions of grander and they're all pretty pathetic.

I'll still give the show a chance, lol.

• Members

I think the writers are showing that like many of us in our own lives, the character's P.O.V or one's P.O.V is not necessarily reality it's what they would like it to be or what they want to believe. Maybe it's too real, maybe the writers needed to find more creative ways to showcase that and the overall approach to it is currently too simplistic. I don't know. But I don't mind that the charcater's are flawed, and not secure in their sense of self. I do see what you all are saying. But I feel as if many people who are insecure, mislead, and not self aware are out there. I do hope that they show flaws in these women profesional prominence. It will be hard to buy that they are so established and dilligent and honest in their professions, but not so much in their personal lives but it already seems they are going there with Keisha. I think the point is maybe Val stayed in a relationship for all the wrong reasons and she doesn't seem to get it, she didn't get a clue for five years she's not going to get a clue overnight.

• Members

2 hours for the premiere? It was one hour to long. I found myself a bit bored with it dragging on. Id have prefer a shorter tighter focused episode. It felt like a very bad black romantic comedy that you'd find at 2am on BET

Cant stand Lisaraye's character. It felt like she was playing herself. She always plays the same type of characters and I wanst impessed with her. I didnt care for her story as a klepto and dealing with the Supahead clone

April's a pig. Not feeling her cheating on what appears to be a very great guy and being so callous about it.

The only likeable one was Val. She seemed the most relatable of the main 3. Loved her at the end spilling about her ONS to her ex and his fiancee. Such a good moment

I will stick with it as well bc it was the premier and many times shows do start slow beore they get their footing. There's potential there but it needs better writing. IA as it stands it sdoes seem like a bad mix of Sex and the City meets Housewives of Atlanta

• Members

Hey Classic, last note: The ONE thing that these women do not lack is self confidence. it's the one thing that motivates them to do the things they do. April cheating with the mayor - It's to get her rocks off. Val sleeping with her ex after literally debasing her - it's because she can, dammit! Keisha being a low class pimp - it's because it's a man's world and she's playing their game. No vulnerability, no flaws, no layers, no depth. I would rather these women's confidence or overconfidence (take your pick) were actually based in reality, rather than overconfidence in self denial. If I thought it was going to be addressed then great but judging by the previews for the entire season it's not. So instead of cheering them on and actually sympathizing with them, I find them extremely annoying precisely because of their disillusions in self grandeur. The show thinks it's cute, and to me, it's not. It's only been one episode so I'll give it a chance. I spoke to a girlfriend of mine and she absolutely loves the show. Her fave is actually Keisha. *shudders* LOL!

Archived