Generations

DRW50

• Members

I don't know how long I've had the Africa Channel, but I somehow found it a few weeks ago and saw a soap named Generations. SFK told me that it was not the NBC Generations, so I was intrigued.

Here is a bit more on the show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generations_%28South_African_TV_series%29

Backstory and some character profiles:

http://www.theafricachannel.com/programs.php?genre=soaps

If anyone could tell me just how far behind we are I'd love to know. I am guessing somewhere in 2007?

Unfortunately I can't find a full opening and closing credits clip on Youtube. It's one of the catchiest soap themes I've ever heard. The closing credits make you want to dance.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Generations seems a bit more home-and-hearth to me than the other soap on the Africa Channel, Isidingo. At first that made me prefer Generations but as I watch more of both I see strengths and weaknesses in both.

It's very interesting because Isidingo is integrated but Generations has, for lack of a better phrase, token whites - a woman named Ann who is essentially a talk-to for the characters, such as the show's longrunning heroine, Karabo (Ann lost a child so she tries to help Karabo through the same). Ann's boyfriend is Tim, who owns a bar that was set up to rival a longrunning bar on the show. He began receiving harassing notes and calls and finally his bar was burnt down. He blames, Samuel, one of the men who runs the main bar, but some on the show believe he did it all himself.

The current stories. I'm mostly getting the character names from here:

http://soaps.sabc1.co.za/generations.htm

Karabo and Ngamla had sex, and she got pregnant. This broke up his relationship with Ntombi, and he married Karabo. This didn't work out, and they drifted apart. During a confrontation with Ntombi, Karabo was injured. At the time, her baby was still fine, but while in an elevator with Ann, the power went out, and Karabo was injured again. She went into premature labor. Ngamla didn't want to face his son dying in the hospital. The boy, Siyabonga, died after a few days. Karabo shut herself off from the world, smashing plates and cups at the memorial service, only finding solace through her nephew.

We see all sides of Ntombi's life. She is in love with Ngamla even though he cheated on her and is now married. She is guilt-ridden for her part in Siyabonga's death. She works at a magazine, along with many other characters, and struggles to keep up while facing so many problems. She is also trying to clear her brother Samuel from the arson and harassment charges he's facing. The woman who plays her is very striking and has real presence and dignity. She's probably my favorite character.

Dineo is a young, beautiful woman married to older Kenneth. She struggles with his lack of support for her at the magazine. There are some interesting scenes where she sets up her boss Ntombi to look bad, in order to further her own position. She begins to fall for Kenneth's handsome son Thomas, who is her own age and who makes her feel special. I had some issues with how quickly this story went by - it could have run for months, or years, but instead, in only about a week's episodes, they began sleeping together, Kenneth saw them, threw her out, and disowned Thomas.

Ajax is a hip-hop artist who begins to find success and a record contract, and it starts to go to his head.

Khethiwe and Khaphela - I'm not sure how they are related, but he's an older man, and she's younger. They both run an apartment building, but struggle to find tenants. She begins to get close to men who are involved in organized crime (I think these men were also involved in raids against Samuel's bar and maybe Tim's). Khaphela was dating a woman named Barbara, but she insisted it stay only fun and never go further. When he pressed her, she told him she'd been in an abusive relationship and would never trust a man again. She then dumped him for pushing too far.

There are occasional references to some American names - the women at the magazine talk about having the magazine success Oprah has had, and Ajax talks about how Will Smith is successful in music but no longer in film.

Anyway, some stories really drag (mostly the "bar wars" stuff and some of the Ajax story), but others are very entertaining and leave you wanting more. There's also some good character interaction and no one is too OTT or "soapy". There is a sense of the everyday and of heart along with the more dramatic elements. The female characters also have their own voice and aren't just there for the men.

• Members

I saw a YouTube clip where Chris Brown guest starred, I thought that was interesting. Must have been Ajax with him in that clip.

Carl, thank you so much for all of this info! I really wish I could watch this and Isidingo (Cherel!).

Isidingo+Cherel+getting+married+to+Braam+6+Dec+2010+003.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

DRW50, have you been watching any of these new episodes? I think they're pretty soapy and good. My only complaint is that sometimes there are too many characters per episode. I really like the story about Zodwa the prophetess and her relationship with Nicolas and her family. I like the jail storyline too with the character whose name I can't remember but I recognize him from the Africa Channel broadcast. I wish Karabo was still there.

Archived