When the soap bubble bursts

DRW50

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think these days it's more likely to be a burden in the UK than in the US, but I do wonder if part of it is down to the talent of the actor. For instance, Michelle Collins and Jessie Wallace are so strongly suited for the characters that made them famous.

• Members

I think it's a bit different in the UK. EastEnders and Corrie especially are on par with the press coverage and ratings that primetime shows get in the US.

So, because of that, and the fact that the audience sees these actors/actresses multiple times a week in these roles, the actors become so strongly associated with the roles they play.

Patsy Palmer, for instance, found this out the hard way when she left EastEnders the first time. Jessie Wallace too, though she's done some one off roles that were different from Kat. Lacey Turner will probably face this problem as well. Especially when a soap character becomes iconic and the "face" of their era of the soaps - it's hard to break away.

Ross Kemp is lucky his career went in another direction when he left EastEnders, because he was/is so strongly identified as Grant that I don't think he would have had as much of an acting career if he tried.

Archived