Hart of Dixie: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just remember the hilarious attempts to make "Welcome to the OC, bitch!" into some kind of phenom.

If you have to go to the "maybe she's a lesbian" well in the second season then you must not have a lot of ideas.

I also remember a lot of early focus on how people loved Seth and wasn't he wonderful. By a year or so later a lot of fans seemed to hate him.

• Members

But... it was. At least for awhile, years even. I actually hear people quote that to this day.

The OC was a buzzworthy watercolor show that had an amazing first 6-10 epsiodes and then went down, down, down. Crazy ass Oliver, Marissas ratings stunt as a lesbian, Seth becoming to far out there and no longer being an outcast, even Summer was ruined in season 4. But it was always a show that was talked about and got attention from the media. Killing Marissa was actually the best thing the show ever did, but it was to late. If i remember correctly it was really the season 2 into 3 where the mass ratings drop happened.

Gossip Girl is a buzzworthy show itself, but only because of their ads. Nobody actually watches the show and its only really talked about in terms of fashion choices and Blake Lively's romantic life. I do think if they had followed the books more closely, or at least been as 'edgy' as them the show might have done better. But the writers actually cater to the fans and that hurt the show.

• Members

Ah the crazy guy in season 1 was called Oliver--wondered if I had it right. That was where I first saw the show falter. While I tuned out early in season 2--you're right it was more the season 2-3 bridge where the mass exodus seemed to happen. I wasn't paying much attention at all, but still was a bit surprised that it ended at Season 4--just cuz it seemed so big early on, I thought they'd try to pump out at least one more year of it.

And I agree completely with your view of GG in the mainstream.

• Members

I feel like you're agreeing with me. I never said it would be the same impact that the OC had with Marissa's death. I said there would just be an immense increase in interest in media attention that the show would receive for killing off one of it's biggest characters. I even said in my post that GG was never as big as the OC was.

The OC was never really a huge rating's success though. The average amount of viewers they received at the peak of the show was only about 9-10 million viewers and that was in the first season. While that's a good number I don't think it's that great for a "hit" series. Ironically enough their most watched storyline was the Oliver one. The ratings drop occurred in season two that's when the biggest drop happened but the show bottomed out so frequently that I don't think you can pin point one moment where the show went wrong so to speak. It was simply an effect of several viewers just dropping it at several different times.

I agree. Chuck and Blair destroyed the show.

• Members

Hart really doesn't seem to be getting any buzz or word of mouth--the lead actress was on Jimmy Fallon and the clip they showed was *dreadful*--even the studio audience didn't seem to know how to respond. I just don't know anyone who's even aware of it, unlike even most of the less successful shows on the CW.

• Members

Is a 0.6 really considered doing well? Hell, maybe at this point it is on the CW. I'm really starting to fear for this network as a whole. It has several shows that I like, but it seems few other people do. Either that or people in the demo they are after aren't watching TV conventionally anymore.

Archived