Hart of Dixie: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

“HART OF DIXIE”

Fast-talking New Yorker and brand new doctor Zoe Hart has it all figured out – after graduating top of her class from medical school, she’ll follow in her father’s footsteps and become a cardio-thoracic surgeon. But when her dreams fall apart, Zoe decides to accept an offer from a stranger, Dr. Harley Wilkes, to work with him at his small practice in Bluebell, Alabama. Zoe arrives in this small Gulf Coast town only to find that Harley has passed away and left his half of the medical practice to her in his will. She quickly finds that Southern hospitality isn’t always so hospitable – the other doctor in town, Brick Breeland, is less than pleased to be sharing the practice with this young outsider, and his daughter, Lemon, is a Southern belle whose sweet disposition turns sour when she meets Zoe. Zoe’s only allies are the mayor, former football star Lavon Hayes, her bad-boy neighbor Wade Kinsella, and handsome lawyer George Tucker – who just happens to be Lemon’s fiancé. Zoe is out of her element and ready to pack her bags, but a surprise visit by her snobby New York mother leads to Zoe’s decision to stay in Bluebell for a while, discovering small-town life and a side of herself she hadn’t known was there. The series stars Rachel Bilson as Dr. Zoe Hart, Jaime King as Lemon Breeland, Wilson Bethel as Wade Kinsella, Cress Williams as Lavon Hayes, McKaley Miller as Rose and Scott Porter as George Tucker. HART OF DIXIE is from Bonanza Productions Inc., in association with Fake Empire, Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, with executive producers Leila Gerstein (“Gossip Girl,” “Eli Stone”), Josh Schwartz (“Gossip Girl,” “Chuck,” “The O.C.”), Stephanie Savage (“Gossip Girl,” “The O.C.”), Len Goldstein and Jason Ensler (“Gossip Girl,” “Chuck”). The pilot was directed by Jason Ensler.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Premiering this along side with Gossip Girl aren't they? I have a feeling that's going to hurt it more then help it. I think they should have waited to launch this with OTH. Although I can certainly understand why The CW is desperate for new shows. I just think GG in general is going to be a poor lead in for any new show.

• Members

1.4 million people watched the finale. That was nearly four months ago though. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw a decrease of viewers for the premiere. There is like no hype for it. It's crazy because just three years ago there was so much buzz for the show now it's like everyone is just so over it.

• Members

This premiered to a 1.9 becoming the CW's most watched show of the night and increasing from Gossip Girl's dreary 1.4 rating earlier. I could see the CW keeping this. Especially since it's out performing one of their flagstaff shows.

• Members

That's the way it is with any Josh Schwartz show. I remember the endless, endless hype for the OC, telling people how hip and cool it was supposed to be and how that 30-year-old-looking guy in the lead role was supposed to be the new brooding Brando. By the time the second season hit, it was a distant memory.

• Members

The thing is, the first season was actually quite strong. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did--I was in my early 20s but a TON of my friends who would never watch a "teen" drama were hooked--even my dad (who is terrified of the term soap opera) was a fan. I remember in Season 2 early on I gave up, and found out my dad had too--his exact words were "it suddenly got so dumb". Actually I remember him having issues, as did I, in the second half of Season 1 with that psycho character (I want to say his name was Oliver but honestly it's all a blur), who nobody believed was psycho, but it partially recovered from that. A friend claims that it got back on track in season 4, but I couldn't be bothered. Schwartz does seem to suffer from Ryan Murphy syndrome.

As for HOD, I just can't be bothered to try it. nothing about it seems appealing to me...

• Members

That's mostly because they killed off one of the most high profile characters in the series which was Marissa who was the one who caused all the drama for the show. If you kill of a huge central character in a memorable way I think many publications will comment on it. I imagine if Gossip Girl killed off one of their two leading heroines in a gruesome, gritty realistic death scene they could likely see a comparable media blitz and temporary invigoration of interest in the series like what happened to the OC when they killed off Misha Barton's titular character. There is no doubt though that the OC holds more impact and weight with pop culture then GG does.

• Members

There, I disagree. The media attention wouldn't be remotely as major. The OC (in year one anyway) was a fairly big pop phenomenon, GG was to an extent, but not to the same extent at all, and at this point I don't think the mainstream media would think most would recognize the actor or character name who could be killed off. It's just not on the radar even to the extent The OC was in its lower periods.

Archived