Smash: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I kinda got the Touch Me, and it made since that Ryan Tedder was there and he wrote the song, as it sounds identical to half the pop songs he produces for others... I thought this episode was a step backwards and very mixed, although you could see them quickly trying to end some unpopular stories. Weak dialogue except for a few good scenes--no surprise since it was our fourth Rebeck script, can't wait for her to be "too busy with her theatrical endeavours" and leave.

I agree with all of this, except I think with proper writing that wasn't so fragmented, Smash works with soapy elements http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/27/five-ways-to-fix-smash/ The singing in the bowling alley bit was particularly lame--leave the random pop covers to Glee (it also was a rip off of one of the best camp moments of Grease 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC1CinbEvXI which is not something to be proud of).

The producers DO seem to realize some of their mistakes (and it is true that since Smash was belated made a late series, they had more episodes in the bucket before it started airing than most shows, though I'm not sure if that's fully an excuse to realize some stuff simply wasn't working). http://tvline.com/2012/03/27/smash-season-1-backlash-season-2-showrunner/

Don't get me wrong, I still find enough to enjoy in the show, but there's just so much continual wasted potential.

That said the ratings still aren't falling drastically--they seem faily stable, and while that might not mean much in some situations, it does for NBC (isn't it their highest demo scoring drama?)

• Members

Wow, back when Michelle Pfeiffer actually had a personality!

Geez that's not good - the worst is probably the random shot of the people on bleachers that looks like it was filmed in another movie entirely. Runner up is the fast motion spinning. Today they'd have projectile vomit.

I always cringed most at that number where the guys used the draft to get some, although I think many said that was their favorite.

I can never see that girl as anything but Doris in Fame.

• Members

I am SHOCKED you haven't seen Grease 2! it's where my Maxwell C crush came from. (Or maybe you did if you know some of the numbers). So awful in so many ways, and yet I do enjoy watching it more than the overated movie version fo Grease--perhaps perversely--and due to it always being on TV growing up and Grease wasn't.

Maybe Smash will have a homage to their best number (and yes, it's not "Do It For Your Country" or even "Reproduction"--as sub par as some of the music of Grease is I never got why they hired brand new songwriters for the sequel):

(This shockingly seems to be the only clip online) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPQQzJGKOvk

• Members

I have seen the movie, it's just been a long time. I mostly remember the numbers. I can't ever forget "COO OOO OOO OOOL RIDER", even if I wanted to. I also remember being sad that Michelle Pfeiffer somewhere along the way in her career became a modern day version of some type of dour empress.

• Members

That's it Eric. I'm convinced we're related. I know Grease 2 backwards and forwards including a good deal of what they call choreography. LOL! I remember somebody did a stage production of Grease 2 last year in London I think. I really wanted to see it.

As for Smash, I hope they take the hiatus to retool and figure out what they want to be.

• Members

YES! There's nothing positive about him. It's not like we've seen anything about him to show us that he's so talented/well-meanig/underappreciated/etc... that we should be rooting for him. He's not the scrappy underdog or the long-suffering helper or the undiscovered phenomenon. He's just a whiny, entitled bitch. He's supposed to be Eve from All About Eve but instead he's Torrance from Get It On.

• Members

LOL! Forgive my mixup. I confess to PWS (posting while stoned).

But back to the subject, Ellis is another example of a concept that could work but the execution is all off. Not so much the actor, although I find him underwhelming, but the character is written to be such an obvious weasel and has been from the beginning. IMO, it would've been much more effective if we could've been led to believe that Ellis really cared about Tom and/or Julia and that he genuinely loved their work. Our glimpses of his private life should've shown us his love of the theatre. Maybe show him attending a performance of "Heaven on Earth." Then after a few episodes give us a chance to wonder about him. For example, have him return Julia's notebook but don't show him stealing it. Have him "accidentally" tell Eileen about Julia/Michael's affair instead of just being a gossipy little bitch.

At this point I just want Ellis and Leo to run off together. Preferably into the Hudson River.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived