Smash: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Administrator

Smash: Discussion Thread

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyNzU0MA" width="512" height="354" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyNzU0MA==/"/><param'>http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyNzU0MA==/"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyNzU0MA==/" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

SMASH

“Smash” is a musical drama that celebrates the beauty and heartbreak of the Broadway theater as it follows a cross-section of dreamers and schemers who all have one common desire -- to be a "Smash." The series centers on a desire to create a Broadway musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe -- written by the successful songwriting duo of Tom (Tony Award nominee Christian Borle, “Legally Blonde: The Musical”) and Julia (Emmy Award winner Debra Messing, “Will & Grace”). Julia recently began the process of adopting a child with her husband of many years, but her focus is torn when she has the opportunity to write another Broadway hit. A rivalry soon forms for the lead role between a youthful, inexperienced Midwestern beauty (Katharine McPhee, “American Idol”) -- who is trying to find fame in the big city against all odds -- and stage veteran (Megan Hilty, “9 to 5: The Musical”), who's determined to leave the chorus line and finally get her big break. A tenacious producer Eileen (Oscar winner, Anjelica Huston, “Prizzi’s Honor”) discovers the "Marilyn" project and jumps on board with a brilliant director (Jack Davenport, “Pirates of the Caribbean” films) -- whose talent is matched by his cunning and egocentric amorality. The series stemmed from an idea of executive producer and multiple Emmy and Oscar winner Steven Spielberg (“ER,” “Schindler’s List”). The pilot was written by acclaimed playwright/screenwriter Theresa Rebeck (“Mauritius,” “NYPD Blue”). Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (Oscar-winning “Chicago,” “Hairspray”) and Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey (“United States of Tara,” “The Borgias”) will also serve as executive producers. Original songs are written by Tony and Grammy Award winners Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (“Hairspray,” “Catch Me If You Can”), who also serve as executive producers. “Smash” is a production of Universal Media Studios in association with DreamWorks. The pilot was directed by Tony Award winner Michael Mayer (“Spring Awakening,” “American Idiot”).

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I've already seen the pilot, and a few quibbles aside, I think it's really good (even the original songs by the Hairspray guys are morememorable than expected)--my main fear is how long they can keep up the quality, and I wish the project had remained with Showtime (greenblatt took the project with him when he left there to move to NBC) where it would be FAR better suited (swearing and some more adult elements, less episodes a season--though due to costs maybe NBC will do that anyway--etc). That said my basic problem is the overall setup is cliche (aging chorus girl with her last chance at a lead vs midwestern fresh ingenue whose parents hate New york and including a skeevy director who wants to sleep with her) and some of the dialogue sucks--Angelica Houston has to spout some ridiculous divorce cliches, and all too often I could guess the next line... Still...

Anyway iTunes is offering (in the US only) the pilot for free download http://itunes.apple....n-1/id492511667

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually, i do not think we are supposed to be more invested in one than the other, and what you see in their characters was established on the show. McPhee's chaacter has little to no experience who comes off kind of timid, but has potential, while Hitly's may not have a star level resume, shes got the experience and power to command the audience.

I loved them both.

• Administrator

I'm a sucker for behind-the-scenes type of shows, and I really like the pilot. I love Katharine McPhee - her voice and her hotness - wearing only a white dress shirt and singing "Happy Birthday, Mr. President...."....WOW!!! :wub: Ever since she was on American Idol, I was hoping she would be make it big. Unfortunately her singing career didn't take off after a few albums. So I really hope Smash is a big hit, or at least big enough for NBC to keep the show. I'm also a Jack Davenport fan ever since 'Coupling' and hopefully he's not a jinx again (Flashfoward, Swingtown). I'm not a fan of "Broadway" songs (like the baseball), so that was about the only negative thing for me. But I'd be happy if there were songs like "Let Me Be Your Star" - isn't wasn't too Broadway-ish.

• Members

You have a very very limited view of Broadway musicals if you think Let Me Be Your Star--which was a camp perfect parody of Broadway power ballads yet also worked as a great number--wasn't "broadway". The Baseball number wa more old school 50s musical theatre (even down to the innuendos which often had to be toned down when those musicals were made into movies). But yes, I'm glad that we'll get "at least two" Marc Shaiman new numbers each week (he's the Hairspray composer who did both songs).

Apparently we learn who get sthe lead in episode two so the focus isn't, thankfully, on "who will win" for the full season.

• Administrator

Yeah, I don't know much about Broadway - never seen a Broadway show and have no intentions to ever see one. When I think of Broadway music, I think of songs like the baseball song.......the "broadway sound."

• Members

That's fair enough--I sounded more insulted than I meant to--sorry. I think the modern Broadway sound is really exactly what "Star" is--that's why I saw it as much as a parody as the other song was--if not more. There's been some fight recently about what Broadway sounds like due to Randy Jackson's comments on AI which have led to even his producer Nigel Lythgoe claiming he would talk to him (the irony being that Randy's *small* non AI related success has been almost all kept to one tiny genre of music).

Shaiman and his partner are brilliant at mimic-ing different types of music (which i one reason they've never had much success on their own with musicals unless copying a sound--they have zero original voice). I hope this is used further on Smash--but the actual so9ngwriting duo is based on Lynn Harens and Stephen Flaherty (who were approcahced to do the music but said they could never write that quickly) and they have a very modern sound, even when doing period pieces like Ragtime.

And the irony really is that apparently they ARE hoping the show is enough of a success that it will lead to Marilyn The Musical being on Broadway (whichg I find iffy--there have been TWO iffy shows based on her that were huge flops, and I don't think the campy take on her life that the Baseball song shows would lead to a hit musical).

• Members

NBC is really banking on this show, or at least are REALLY pushing for it. With most of their lineup flopping this season I think they are really counting on it...

They are replaying it on E, Bravo, Oxygen, and a few others I can't remember. I think they really really really need this to be successful........

I'll give it a shot!

Archived