Somerset Discussion Thread

• Members

Ms. Channel's article might've been a hair too long, but it's probably hard, if not impossible, to refute her opinions about why the show ultimately failed. (I say "probably," b/c I've never seen an episode of SOMERSET, so I can't say whether or not she was astute about it.) From everything I've read about the show, however, it does appear that its biggest problem was a general lack of consistency in its storytelling, as well as an inability to set itself apart from its "mother" show, ANOTHER WORLD. Even when Henry Slesar took over as HW, and stories became more focused on crime and mystery, it seemed like it was playing second fiddle to EDGE OF NIGHT.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To me the biggest problem with Somerset seems to be why was it created in the first place? Carol Roux left after six months...they had no way of guessing that? Ann Wedgworth was probably an obvious candidate for leaving too - I'm surprised she stayed as long as she did.

They did cast other very talented actors like Marie Wallace and Georgann Johnson but there never seemed to be a structure.

I've only seen two episodes - one on a tape (India and her husband were arguing in an empty dining room or something), and one put on Youtube.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That's great..First Somerset article I've seen from SOD. Lyle is talking it up,but the ratings were bad and it was soon over.

What was the storyline for Picon,Jacobi and Questel?

That constant change of headwriters is deadly.Surely when they appoint new writers,they approve the story plans? Somerset was only giving writers a few months,not enough time to set up new characters and stories.

• Members

I think they had something with concepts like older Ellen with a younger man and daughter Jill with an older man. And maybe the crime stuff. But you have to wonder if viewers felt they could get that better, elsewhere, with EON.

I haven't checked the SOD synopses I have but looking through Bryna Laub's book for 1976, it looks like Picon/Sarah was one of those who was burglarized and attacked in a string of murders across Somerset. She helped clear Dale of the crime - the culprit was apparently a deranged man named Chris Kirby. There's a man named Dan Brisken, a retired millionaire, who buys the Register - he may have been related to Sarah.

This was the first Digest I ever read. I read it at a neighbor's house years and years ago - they had it with their old books or something. It kind of painted a skewed picture of the show for me, as there is no mention (aside from the cast list) of Joel Crothers. So I was surprised when I learned he was a big star on the show.

Edited by CarlD2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

For what it's worth, some of you may be aware that I write an updated version of "Somerset" over at DRTV. The show bears little resemblance to the NBC soap; it's more like a "What if you visited this place 30 years later?" type of atmosphere.

The central character is Susannah, Sam and Lahoma's daughter. Sam and Lahoma have made appearances, as have Tony and Ginger Cooper and Robert Delaney. I even resurrected Robert's brother Peter on Somerset.

My plots are more romantic entanglements with some melodrama thrown in.