Somerset Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I like Pamela Toll's hairstyle above much better than I like the way that she wore it when she was on The Doctors.

I understand that she later read for the role of Mary Ryan Fennelli on Ryan's Hope. Looking at these pictures, I think that she would have looked as I would picture Mary.

Was Pamela Toll a native of New York?

• Members

I will point out that the Moore family storyline featured three male performers from Dark Shadows. Phillip Matson was played by Frank Scofield (Bill Malloy on Dark Shadows), Joel Crothers played Julian Cannell (after playing Joe Haskell and Lt. Nathan Forbes on Dark Shadows and Ken Stevens #2 on The Secret Storm), and Christopher Pennock played Dana Moore (after having played a number of roles on Dark Shadows).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I was reading the SOD synopses of the show's final months. When David Grant returned in the form of Phillip MacHale in the summer of 1976, David mentions that Lyling has run off with the baby and they are in China. So I think its safe to say that Bridgett Duffy's David is David and Lyling's child.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It was after her first run on EON. Slesar wrote the entire Whitney family out, but he and Kibbee seemed to get on well, and Geraldine was very popular with viewers, so I guess he brought her onto Somerset in a new role to anchor the Moore family. She then returned to EON a year or two after this. 

I can't help feeling that the production lets the writing down, especially in the Jingles scene, which could have been more dramatic with better camera work.

That woman's Mary Hartman pigtails trouble me.

I've always found Chris Pennock in that era both annoying and somewhat hot...

I wonder if Lahoma and India were gone by this point.

• Members

They were always just supposed to be there for that one particular story, similar to how Slesar handled a lot of his mystery/crime plots. They happened to be very popular with viewers, so he must have changed his mind eventually. They just killed off Geraldine's son and I think husband (?) in a boating accident or something.

• Members

That's right. After the Jonah Lockwood story, the Whitney family was not featured on the canvas for an extended period, but then came word that Geraldine's husband and son had died suddenly, and that Geraldine and daughter-in-law Tiffany were on their back to Monticello.

In their reintroduction scene, the camera took a long, slow pan across the empty Whitney living room, with all the furniture covered up as if for storage. Then the front door opened, and Geraldine and Tiffany entered. In complete silence, the women slipped into the house, with a look of agony on their faces. No words, no dialogue, just the actresses' talent to convey their pain. Brilliant scene. It still gives me chills when I think about it. Dialogue is not always necessary when strong direction and acting can say more than words.

Edited by vetsoapfan