OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Carl, that was Frances Foster (Gertie in the infamous dog food meatloaf episode of Good Times).  Unless of course you meant that Nelson subbed at some point.

In the 8th grade, we went on a class trip to NY and saw a show with Novella Nelson and Seth Gilliam at the Young Playwrights Festival.  Nelson played an abusive alcoholic grandmother with a mouth like a sailor.  She was so poised and articulate at the talkback, my classmates could hardly wrap their brains around this whole "acting thing".

• Members

Thanks.

They brought Niki back way too many times and even they seemed to see it by this point as we instead got Viki pretending to be Niki and so on, but they'd just gone to the well long past the point of saturation. 

I still tend to prefer any Niki pre-1995 though. 

• Members

In retrospect, Niki Smith was a double-edged sword.  On the one hand, her unpredictability allowed the writers to go more places with her than they could with Viki.  But, OTOH, because Niki wasn't "real," I think the writers (especially, the ones who worked on the show after Peggy O'Shea) tended to see her more as a comic-book creation, checking such things as rationale, believability and plain good taste at the proverbial door, and, in the process, trivializing both Viki's alter-ego and the reason why Viki created her in the first place.

I've always wondered whether it might have been a good idea to give Viki a long-lost twin sister (and ES a regular, second character to play), thereby circumventing the need to bring back Niki, or any of Viki's other alters, whenever it was clear that Viki was in a storyline rut.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Rauch seemed to use Niki to do things Viki couldn't do psychologically. It's an interesting idea but one which increasingly felt garish and forced onscreen.

I think Malone's decision to make Niki nothing more than a sex-addled bimbo was short-sighted and led to some hideous, unforgivable writing choices by Dena Higley down the line.