OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Jennifer Harmon (Cathy Craig Lord) in a 1982 production of the play The Learned Ladies

Jennifer with Cynthia Dozier (Emily Hall/Ryan's Hope) and Randle Mell

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

She was the one there when Todd punched Tea in the face, which makes me think JFP snuck that in or something, because I could only see Pam Long writing something like that if she intended to break a couple up afterwards, not, you know, actually get married again (I know, that blew up at the reception, but still).

I thought Harding Lemay only became a consultant once Jill became de facto HW in 1999. I could be wrong, though. 

• Members

She was, for almost all of 1999 after Pam Long was let go (although apparently Harding Lemay was consulting her in some way, somehow). ABC finally forced her to hire someone near the end of 1999, so she brought on Megan McTavish as her lap dog, er I mean her HW. 

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Georgie Phillips' murder, which occurred during her stint, was the last time I was truly excited about a storyline on the show.  Otherwise, though, I think her stint was riddled with mistakes, with Todd's faking DID being number-one on that list.

Ryan Phillippe: “I’m Proud” To Have Played Daytime TV’s First Gay Teenager

"It was before 'Will & Grace,' before Ellen came out, it's before any of that stuff."

by Christopher Rudolph 22m ago

It was 25 years ago that Ryan Phillippe played one of the first openly gay teenagers on television on the daytime soap One Life to Live.

Phillippe played Billy Douglas, a high school student who comes out as gay, on the series from 1992-1993. It was Phillippe’s first professional acting gig, and a quarter of a century later the actor looks back proudly at his place in gay history.

ryan-one-life-to-live-1497973245.jpg?qua
ABC/One Life to Live

“There had never been a gay teenager portrayed on television at that point. It was before Will & Grace, before Ellen came out, it’s before any of that stuff,” Phillippe recently told Too Fab while he was doing press for his new movie Wish Upon.

“I remember the fan mail that my mother and I would get from gay teenagers or from parents of gay teenagers who found a way in to relate to or talk to their child through this show,” he explained.

Even though he was only 17 at the time he does remember “understanding and appreciating that back then even when I was only a teenager myself.”

Back in 1992 Phillippe told Entertainment Weekly that when he auditioned he had no idea that Billy was gay:

“They told me, and I said ‘Oh! Okay!’ but a shock went through my system. I thought, ‘What is my family going to think? What about my friends?’ But I realized that for Billy, the torment is a hundred times that.”

GettyImages-471530768-1497973970.jpg?qua
Monica Schipper/FilmMagic

Before filming began for Billy’s debut on the show executive producer Linda Gottlieb brought in psychiatrist Richard Isay to talk with Phillippe about portraying a gay teenager.

“When he told us that three times as many gay teenagers kill themselves as do straight teens, I realized that maybe this role is where I’m supposed to be,” he said. “Maybe some kids will see that there are ways to deal with this positively.”

Billy was written out of the show in 1993 when Phillippe decided to leave, but he still cherishes the role:

“I’m proud to have done it, I’m proud that that’s something I can say was a part of my career.”

Pop culture and entertainment enthusiast. I know too much about the Oscars and Oprah.
Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I was very annoyed, too. It was just BS. It cut Kevin and Joey off from tons of story possibilities, for one thing. For another, it was an example of one of my most hated soap tropes: random reassignment of children. Then there's the whole denigration of the role of step-parents. I hate it whenever soaps did it but I really hated this one. 

Speaking of things I hated - there are a bunch of new OLTL promos up on YT from 1992 and they've reminded me how much I loathed Luna. The show pushed Max & Luna so shamelessly it semi-hilarious. You WILL love this couple. They ARE you're favorite. Luna "crossing over to the other side" to save Max was OLTL at its worst for me. 

• Members

Makes sense to me. I have a family member who was pretty much in the same situation, father of young kids died, she eventually remarried and new husband adopted the kids, they added his last name to their names. Did Kevin and Joey become Kevin Riley Buchanan and Joey Riley Buchanan, or did they dump Riley altogether?