OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

My recollection was that Larry was on RC's alleged "wish list" for the guests in the final stretch of the show, along with Karen, Herb, Kyle and Fish, possibly Carla, etc. Judith Light and Tony Call turned them down (Call claims that Ron wanted Karen and Herb Callison to come back married to each other, which Light doesn't seem to recall). Whatever was true or not, they clearly did not make Larry a priority and once he wasn't in the mix they clearly didn't bother inviting Michael Storm. It's a shame, and there were plenty of other things which could've been cut from the final weeks and months.

I've gone on at length before in the past about how I would've re-introduced Larry and the Woleks to a modern audience that isn't as familiar, but suffice to say it would be easy to do.

Edited by Vee

• Members

OK. I get characters are supposedly having lives off the show, but did Herb and Karen even interact that much? Did they even have a good rapport after the Marco Dane trial? I know it was way before my time but I've never seen clips of them interacting after that story on YouTube. Plus, I don't think that Karen (if Light was open to returning) would've wanted to be hitched to man (though he was doing his job) almost got her sent up the river. 

Karen was large enough of a character on her own that she could've returned on her own. She didn't need a man hitched to her. 

If anything, they should've had Dorian end with Herb as I never bought Dorian/David. Herb seems like he was Dorian's soulmate. 

I think that it is appalling what they did to Michael Storm. If anything, they should've disinvited a bunch of people to make room for him. He helped build the house that was OLTL. Shameful how they couldn't make room for him. 

• Members

If it was true, I think it was Ron's weird idea of a gag - they are both famous for that courtroom scene and him being her nemesis in that storyline, and then tada, they turn up married.

A variation on that was another idea Ron apparently pitched to John Stamos at GH for the Nurses Ball - he wanted Blackie Parrish to return married to Demi Moore's Jackie Templeton as a quick, jokey cameo. Stamos didn't get it, didn't want to do just a mere cameo and said no, as did Moore. I think Ron was too enamored of precious little jokes that sometimes are beneath the performers and their characters, and certainly would've been wrong for Call and Light. I'm all for cute humor where it's apropos, but a lot of these people are worth more than a cheap gag.

I know there were also rumors Ron wanted to attach Karen to Terri Conn's Aubrey Wentworth/Christine Karr, who may or may not have been Katrina Karr's daughter from the Karen/Jenny/Katrina baby switch story. I think that would have been a terrible idea for a pointless character.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Part of me feels like Larry would have continued to be treated as an important character had Judith Light stayed on the show. It feels like whatever value he had, the show felt he lost once Larry & Karen were no longer together, which is just wrong, because he was so much more than Karen's betrayed husband. WAY more. He should have been treated in the same light that Erika was treated--he was there two full years before she was, FFS. 

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Members

In a way it sort of annoys me that Judith Light couldn't bother to return but under Ron, I really can't blame her or anyone for turning it down. I mean, Julianne Moore is certainly more famous (and I adore Judith Light) but she almost couldn't wait to get back on ATWT and say goodbye. That speaks volumes to me. But on the other hand, many actors, while not 'hating' their soap past, have simply moved on. The fact is Judith will almost always be recognized and remembered as Karen, and then Angela, but moreso Karen.

Larry shouldn't have been dismissed at all. Wasn't Frank EP at that point? DePaiva also shouldn't have been axed.

• Members

What bothered me about the Judith Light situation was the fan expectation - and based on some of his digs on the show I assume Ron's expectation as well - and arrogant assumption that Judith HAD to return. Judith has always spoken positively about the show, it obviously meant a lot to her as she met her husband and some longtime friends there, but she owes them nothing. And for a HW to not realize this is unprofessional beyond belief. He carried this petulance to GH, which is what got him canned, finally.