AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So many of AMC's early 80s hairstyles were questionable. Which, I know, it's the 80s, but still. I've been watching some episodes from 1983-1985, in order (but mostly nonconsecutive), off and on, and I hate Devon's hair, and Donna also had a similar cut for a while.

Watching these episodes have really really made me hate Tad and the whole idea of Tad as the lovable cad/rogue. He was a piece of sh!t. Darnell Williams was just as ticky and over-the-top back then as he was when he returned near the end, even moreso in the early 80s. I never realized how incredibly sexy Laurence Lau was in so many ways. Greg was a bit of a goober, but he had a ready strength about him that was appealing, plus LL was hitting 30 and still was hotter than most soap guys who were younger than him at the time.

I also never realized how much a loose cannon Tom was. I mean, I know they introduced him in 1977 with the whole football player, hot-headed Catholic thing, but I guess I expected him to grow up much more by the 80s. It's crazy to see Brooke mixing it up with Tom and Mark knowing that by the end of the decade she'll be involved with Tad, who was still written as a kid at the time.

I'm currently in the era where Phoebe, Langley, and Palmer are trying to stop Adam from building a "gambling mall" in Pine Valley, and Ruth Warrick is running sh!t, as to be expected. When Phoebe and her supporters are faced with the task of getting 5,000 signatures in a day and a half, everyone feels defeated, but Phoebe perks them up and tosses out the most delicious "Watch out!" as they resolve to win and the screen fades to black. RW was a TREASURE. Then later, she compares the newly-married Mrs. Erica Chandler to Eva Braun at the Glamorama in front of everyone. Good stuff.

• Members

All My Shadows, did you ever watch Santa Barbara?  If so, do you remember seeing Marcy Walker with long hair?  You have to excuse me.  I can't unsee images of Marcy with short hair.  She didn't like having her hair cut so short for the Liza Colby role in the early '80s.  She thought she looked "ugly" and "like a shaved rat."  If you don't believe me, check out this video.

• Members

Dave Holmes, one of the very few MTV VJs I ever had time for, was on some podcast a few months ago talking about his influences. At about 20 minutes he talks about watching AMC as a kid (early '80s) and how it was the only soap he ever closely followed because it was the one that felt real to him. He also talks a bit about watching Eastenders and Corrie (someone should tell him to try Emmerdale...) 

http://www.mattbaume.com/sewers-shownotes/dave-holmes

• Members

Aliki Prince was recast, because he was "too comedic" and they wanted to go in a more serious direction. I don't think he was around for much longer after this episode.

Interestingly enough, both he and Dondre Whitfield were on Cosby. Of course, Dondre was recurring as Vanessa's Robert.

I do not remember when Irene Ng left, but I did like her quite a bit. Obviously green, but not in a 'bad" way. 

I liked first Brian too, (Greg Gordon?) but given the direction that character went, I can see why they went with Borlenghi. The first actor had a more clean-cut look, and it made more sense for Borlenghi to be Trask's brother, Brian.

This all takes me back.

Edited by cct

• Members

I've been watching 1988/89 AMC on You Tube and OMG it is so good. I watched from 96 or so to the end, so this stuff is mostly new to me. The Adam/Brooke/Dixie/Tad story is just so fun. Gotta say, I never realized how close to Laura's death Dixie slept with Brooke's husband!!! Poor Brooke had a lot to deal with. It actually surprises me how lots of people (myself included) ended up liking Dixie, because she's pretty dumb, naive, sleeping with a married man, thinking she loves him and he is so clearly not interested in her at all. And Adam may be my truest love to hate character. I always just hated Erica, but Adam is so gloriously evil I love it.

Oh and the most hilarious thing was an episode with Kari Gibson's Dixie!!! Let's just say I can see why she was replaced.

Edited by GH_Girl