AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

I really don't understand some posters on here, especially some of the AMC fans. I understand during the which soap will be cancelled debate how AMC fans understandably wanted to argue why AMC was safe and things got tense, although now that both soaps are cancelled, the continued viciousness is outrageous. Yeah the "humor" may appeal to some, but it really shows a lack of class and dignity. I think what it comes down to is a deep jealously by some AMC fans over the hard core support OLTL has received in the soap press, although get over it, and who cares anymore, its not like that press support saved OLTL over AMC.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which daytime actors have been on The Tonight Show besides the ones from DAYS/Passions skits and besides the ones that had already moved up to the A/B list?

I remember Kristian Alfonso being on. I don't think she was a scheduled guest. Leno's father had just died I believe and he was pretty sad during the taping and pulled her in for some chat time on the chair.

• Members

Wait, so we've read constantly about how OLTL is treated so unfairly by ABC Daytime, how Agnes has all but ignored the show (for nearly 40 years!), how OLTL gets no promotion, no attention, no love, etc, but it's the AMC fans who are jealous...because OLTL gets love from Nelson, Jamey, and a few assorted others who call themselves journalists? LOL okay.

"The continued viciousness is outrageous." Have you read Jamey's blog? If us cracking jokes is vicious, then that thing must be pure, unadulterated evil.

• Members

I think Jamey's ramblings are useless as both soaps have been cancelled, although I believe there are some parts of the article he makes valid points if you disagree thats fine. Although whats clear to me is some on here lack the courtesy to accept different opinions.

Personally I think AMC is a horrible show, but you don't see me making vicious remarks about it because I respect that some on here like AMC and also its meaningless to be mean and vicious especially since both shows have been cancelled but some on here think its acceptable to go on and on with their hatred for OLTL, if you hate OLTL fine I respect your opinion, but at least have some class in how you express it.

• Members

I accept different opinions. I accept that Jamey loves OLTL. I accept that. I do not accept him trying to present his opinion as fact in order to back up his own far-fetched speculation.

If people feel disrespected because I don't like their favorite show, then they can use the Ignore feature. I'm not going to censor my frustration with OLTL because others can't bear to know that there are people who don't think it's better than AMC, much less the bestest show in all of daytime.

Both shows are still on the air, and I still think OLTL sucks. So my frustration still has meaning for me. If it doesn't for you, put me on Ignore :)

In my opinion, it is acceptable to go on and on with my frustration with OLTL. If you enjoy OLTL, I think it would be acceptable for you to go on and on with your enjoyment. Your opinion has no bearing on mine, and mine should have no bearing on yours. If it does, that's not my problem.

You don't have to respect my opinion, and I don't have to express the way you want me to. So just put me on Ignore.

• Members

Is this seriously what you people have been doing with your time for days?

Okay, here's the deal as I see it.

1. Jamey Giddens, while sometimes very insightful, is also a little nuts, and embarrasses himself regularly. At least 60-70% of what he says about OLTL or its condition on any given day is bullshit because he's only watched the show since 2004, and he is so into the stream of hype that he excuses a lot of crap on the show, even during times when there are good stories amidst crap ones. (And that includes right now.) His attacks on AMC are also hyperbolic and over the top.

2. AMC was moved, and its LA exodus was heavily promoted as "a new beginning" - there is no denying this - with the intent to save it and its brand while consigning OLTL to New York oblivion. This did not work out because AMC's producer was an incompetent who could not manage the show properly. That is not AMC's fault, it is Julie Hanan Carruthers' fault. It is not a reflection on AMC as a show.

3. OLTL was the redheaded stepchild, yes. But who cares? They're both cancelled. A few piddling online websites and message boards - including both DC and this one - mean absolutely fuckin' nothing anymore. I honestly could not give a [!@#$%^&*] about how many people preferred OLTL over AMC or vice versa how many times in one given week, in what way and with what platform. The bottom line is these are both great soaps that are both cancelled. Gnatfucking each other over time, date, percentage point, viewer share and blog post is the height of idiocy and it only makes everyone look petty.

Get over this [!@#$%^&*]. Seriously.

• Members

Yep :lol: that's the first thing I thought of Hoover is "everywhere"

and it didn't cost them a dime! I'd be curious to know how much they saved in pulling those 6 ads.

Somebody said something a DC podcast about Frons sucks worse than a Dirt Devil or something like that it was hilarious.

I just thought the article had a condescending tone and then the author made a post in the

comment section about people professing to know more about writing than professional writers or something like that which lends

to Frons' theory that the audience is fickle...I never heard him say it just some of his critics...I'd like to know this author's

response to Cat Hickland's blog.

• Members

According to Jezebel, Hoover actually only spent $243,000 on ads during ABC's soaps last year, which wouldn't even buy one commercial on a show like American Idol. To paraphrase Chris Rock, "That's the kind of money you can lose with a weekend and a drug habit!"

When you consider the monetary value of what they would've paid for the ad space in print and online for every paper that picked up the AP story about them pulling their ads, it was a genius move on somebody's part and whoever thought of it deserves a fat bonus.

• Members

Both soaps were destined for cancellation (as they ALL are) but as I've been reading up on the latest info being posted, I think it's even sadder for two separate reasons: One, OLTL was still holding up well and had potential and it should've been given a couple more years, but the network was already waiting to pounce on pulling the plug. And two, because AMC *could* *have* had more, but was so poorly mis-managed in the past year that they squandered what last couple years they could have had. So one soap gets set up for cancellation despite still being a strong contender, and the other one who could've had more life to live (no ironic pun intended) blew their chance. Sad. :(

• Members

So true. Unfortunately people like Jamey are determined to paint this as a situation where OLTL - bright shining beacon of daytime drama it is - was cruelly cut down in its prime BECAUSE of AMC.

How is this AMC's fault, you may ask? Well apparently Frons canceled OLTL because he couldn't stand to only cancel his beloved AMC. Of course the fact that he put AMC in the hands of proven showkillers is conveniently ignored. As is the fact that OLTL gets three more months than AMC. No, every AMC promo should've been an OLTL promo. Oprah should've had Viki and Dorian on her show, not Erica, Tad, Jesse, Angie, Luke and Laura. But she didn't because AMC told her not to. That's because AMC is the enemy. OLTL would be #1 if it wasn't for AMC's dirty tricks. Todd and Tea would've gotten the Castle cameo instead of Ryan and Greenlee if it weren't for the Frons' AMC bias. (Again I point you to which show is leaving the airwaves first.)

There's plenty of reason for fans of each show to be sad and angry but I only see one show's fanbase blaming and attacking everyone who crosses their path. They're attacking Oprah for not buying the soap, AMC for existing and Susan Lucci for responding to the news like an adult.

The AMC fans are more concerned with seeing how Agnes and Lorraine end this show. We want to say goodbye to Pine Valley in a way that honors and celebrates what it was. Jamey and his ilk just wants to whine and bitch until the final episode then they'll find a way to blame Susan Lucci for the fact that OLTL isn't #1.

• Members

Yup, it's pathetic that some people need to attack their fellow fans who are mourning the loss of their show. Too bad for Jamey that will never OLTL be #1 before it goes off the air, but his whining is about AMC has been unjustified for the past few years and it's pointless for him to keep harping.

Archived